What's new

Nivea "Energy" Cooling ASB

I like this balm's light alcohol burn and moisturizing ability. With lesser products my face will be tight and dry but not so with this, even during winter. The scent is pretty generic, it's a combination of rubbing alcohol and light menthol. When I use this stuff I'll smell my shave soap for the remainder of the morning rather than this balm.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I use the entire line of Nivea aftershave products, and this is my least favorite. I'm not saying it's a bad products, but it's not great either. I think it smells funny, and the cooling effect isn't really there for me; I also get an alcohol burn, but it subsides after a few seconds. It does moisturize pretty well, and it doesn't feel heavy on my face, like some balms I previously used did. When all things are considered, it is worth at least a try. If you enjoy it, it is both readily available and cheap, which is good in my book.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Wow, I love other Nivea products but this one is awful. There is absolutly no cooling effect whatsoever. The smell is not nearly as good or refreshing as some of their other balms. And there is no alcohol burn at all which I happen to enjoy. I would not recomend this product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Compared to many other A/S, I can only think of 1 brand that beats this hands down, which is combination Proraso Sensitive Aftershave and Proraso Pre-Post Shave cream.

That said, this is absolutely a GREAT A/S for the Summer months. It does have a slight sting to it, but it goes away quickly. If you find it get's too sticky, you are putting way too much on.

How to use: Leave your face a little wet, take a very small amount in 1 hand. Don't rub your hands together. Use that one hand to start dabbing all over your face, don't rub in circular motion, and let it sit a bit, then rub your hands together and with your finger tips, start massaging it in. You'll immediately start to feel great. It will absorb quickly and moisturize your skin, ready to go out into the hot summer day.

It works great in combination with Proraso Pre-Post shave cream also. You put that cream on top of this aftershave. I find the old school "green" scent to mix well with Nivea, but its YMMV ofcourse.

I find all of Nivea's A/S balms to be unique, and IMHO much better than other off the shelf items out there! Give it a try, you may just have a new addition for the summer rotation!
I know that this stuff isn't the greatest, but it works pretty well for me. At ~$6 for 100 mL, this is only a few cents a shave. The menthol sensation is very light; I have to fan my face to feel most of the time. There's a definite alcohol burn, but it's not that that bad. As long as you don't put this stuff on too thick (sticky- yuck!) it's good stuff.

The major things that I'm concerned about are efficacy and moisturization. This ASB does well on both counts, helping to soothe my face and keep it smoothe.

To conclude: I don't have an AS AD, and this works for me. Given its low price and availability, this is a decent buy. When this stuff runs out there's a good chance I'll buy another Nivea ASB, though I may opt to try a different style ("Replenishing", etc).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Its okay.

It does have a nice cool feel going on which I like...burns a bit if I was rough on myself during the shave.

It is quite inexpensive and worth getting in my opinion.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
After a gentle shave, this balm works quite well; if the shave was a tad harsh, something more soothing fits me better. I'm completely missing the cooling effect. Some alcohol burn is noticeable, but I like that. The balm tends to leave a slightly tacky film if applied liberally; this makes it suitable to strengthen the effects of the Nivea Replenishing Balm on dry areas. The smell is quite nice and subtle and fades after a short time. I find this to be a good product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
As part of my quest to have everything "menthol" I picked this up to give it a try. I haven't used the regular Nivea balm in over four years and I believe the recipe to have changed.

I found the Nivea mentholated balm to be lacking in the menthol department and somewhat burning on application. It does contain alcohol. The burn didn't last long, however, and it did a decent job of leaving the skin moisturized.

This is a far cry from being the best of the balms, but its cheap and effective enough to be kept in the rotation.

From Nivea:

Menthol
Instant revitalizing and energizing care for normal skin.
  • Refreshing & Soothing Care - Light, fast-absorbing formula with Menthol, Iso magnesium, Vitamin E and Provitamin B5:
    • Immediately cools and invigorates
    • Calms skin discomfort due to shaving
    • Helps protect against irritations
    • Supports the skin's natural protection system.
  • Results:
    • Skin looks refreshed and healthy
    • Skin feels smooth and revitalized.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing