What's new

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream

You guys can read--Right???

When used AS DIRECTED--it gives a perfectly acceptable shave.

Its not expensive--$3.93 at Walmart.

Is it my favorite most sought after product? NO---but its not nearly as bad as others have reviewed.

I see its niche as not a daily cream where brush,soap,a nice lather and luxury rule the day-----but as a nice,compact(in comprison) travel cream in which space considerations and time constraints generally take precedence.

Again--its not the greatest but its not the worst either---giving a decent shave when used as directed.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Yea it's pretty bad stuff. I believe it was designed for guys who use Cartridges and wanted to feel as though they were doing something a little better for their skin then using canned goo. I remember it being very thick out of the tube but becoming very runny as soon as it touched any sort of water. And there was no kind of foaming action or lather to speak of. If you're going to buy a tubed mass market product like this...get the King of Shaves AlphaGel (or one of their other variations).
Like others I did not like the SC alone, but rather than throwing it away I used it as a Pre-Shave (after shower) - and it does help soften beard and adds some "slickness" to the lather that follows.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Neutrogena products-- overpriced and way over rated. Give 'em miss:thumbdown
Tried this out. I probably don't have the shaving chops that some people here do, but I can get a decent shave without slitting my throat. Except with this. Horrible horrible horrible. I've had better results using bar soap, or sometimes even just water.
f--- will not try again
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
The bottle is the best thing about this.

It was garbage. I was left bleeding with no hope for this cream.

I get that this is a non lather cream but it didn't even provide a slickness to it. I still have red marks from the damage that this product gave me.

The best thing about this product is that the package is like a metal tank. You can't break it.
Latherability should be 0 for a brushless, cream not intended to lather. Very lubricating and is a good addition if you have acne or problems with ingrown hairs. I really like having it around when I am in a hurry. Use a little more than directed and keep one hand loaded with cream to spot shave and you can blade buff to a very smooth finish without irritation.

It may not have the greatest scent or the luxury of a full lather, but at the end of the shave you will have smooth skin without irritation and it helps with problem skin.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have to jump in here, as this product is one of few tube shave creams available at local stores for me. It does have a learning curve, use a little more then the directions say. Really, really rub it in with fingers. It does not lather, which I like, as to see where I'm shaving around moustache. It leaves face feeling very clean but not moisturized. A SPF cream or other after shave is needed. With a Feather blade in my Super speed or Feather travel razor I get a very close smooth shave with this.
I am very impressed with this shave cream. Let me say this: I am visually impaired and I have trouble seeing a good lather from a soap or in a bowl, so take that in to consideration. You must read the directions first, this is NOT a lathering cream and you do NOT use a brush. You wet your face and put the product on your hand and rub it on your face. It does not lather or foam and to me...it seems clear but very slick. I shave by feel anyway so the fact I did not have a lather did not bother me. I used a 57 Gillette SS and a Derby blade. I performed three passes...two WTG and the 3rd was ATG. My results were fantastic. I will go out on a limb here and say it is far better than my Williams shaves and even better than my VDH shaves. I think this is because I do not lather well. Give this cream another look. At $5 you can not go wrong.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I used this product this morning for the first time. I, like some of you, don't read instructions. I tried to lather it up with my Shavemac. When nothing happened, I read the insturctions. IT IS NON LATHERING SHAVE CREAM. When I realized that, and applied it as directed, I had the Best, Closest, most Comfortable shave I have ever had. Now don't get me wrong, I love to lather up my face, just as much as the next guy, but if you want a close, nick free shave, go no further.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This product contains an ingredient that is used to remove warts. (salicylic acid) If you have acne, this may be helpful. However, feels like you are shaving with lard. Looks good in the garbage can if you ask me.
:001_smile I like it and found it at Wal Mart for $4.00. I do need to double the amount from what the directions say. I also wet face, apply, shave, rinse, apply again and shave again. This routine seems to work for me with this product.

Cheers, MFS
I must say that I am surprised at most of the reviews here...I really enjoyed this product. Read the package it states that this is a "NON-LATHERING" formula. I used this today along with an Erbe DE razor w/Feather blade and ALL worked great! I found it at CVS Pharmacy for $5.00 and has a very slick application. Moisturizing properties could be better; the moisturizers could last longer but they work just fine. The scent is nothing to write home about, but is pleasant enough...it is an old world soap type of scent. My razor did glide smoothly with no skips or nicks or weepies...nice shave. I used a tad more than usual, but just make sure to keep your razor rinsed and it won't clog. I like this shave cream and would recommend this cream for what it is, a non-lathering one...enjoy! :001_smile
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I actually like this stuff.
I put a homemade shave oil (50/50 mix of castor & olive oil) on my face before using this & it's fine. I don't need a brush, I just put it on with my fingers. I have to say (this may seem blasphemous), but I get a closer shave with this stuff than I do with a brush & my Tabac soap.
Where's my flame retardant suit gone to now....

:tongue:
This stuff sucks you might as well use plain old water.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
First of all in reference to several reviews listed above this is BRUSHLESS Shaving Cream!!!!!!.

I hate it when people who review products either do not read the label or do their research. For a brushless product this is one of the better ones. It says to use a quarter size amount I had to double that to get enough coverage. It goes on very thin and appears almost transparent but has a very lubricating feel to it so there is not problem with the blade gliding along your face. You must keep the razor wet to get the full benefits and effectiveness. It lubicates better than gels or foam. I did not detect any particular aroma good or bad. I found it for $5.00 at Walgreens.

Sometimes I am in a hurry and do not want to do the brush and lather routine and found this cream for such situations.

Please note that the averages are skewed. Because it is brushless there is no lather and "Latherablity" appears as "0" which is a good thing for this product.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I echo others' comments that it is hard to conceive why Neutrogena has fielded this product. In addition to not lathering, it clotted up my best Shavemac brush. Straight into the trash.

The only redeeming aspect of this experience is that it has given me a high degree of faith in this review board.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Waist of Money, plain gargae, don't like it, the Neutrogena aeresol gel is way,way better then this.
There after shave balm is great.
..But the shave cream, I wouldnt take it even if it was free.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I agree with all previous posts concerning the Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream.
Two out of the five words are false- it didn't come to a lather or cream for me and thus I couldn't shave with it. I was desperate and I bought it and now I regret it.
Next time I'll check the reviews first.
I purchased my tube about a month before finding this wonderful forum and this crazy great thing called wetshaving. It has since found its way to the shower where I use it as a preshave on my face before exiting and applying a "real" shave product!:c17:
Top Bottom