What's new

Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Post Shave Lotion

I have used this product regularly since starting DE shaving at the beginning of November. I have also used Neutrogenas' other products for many years such as the Oil-Free Moisturizer without sun block and with SPF 15.

For the price, this is an absolutely top notch product. I order from Amazon and it comes to $5.60 per tube if you order the 4 pack. Most after shave products are double or triple the cost. I always do a witch hazel rinse and then use an alum block after shaving. I put this on as the final layer after shaving. It really has almost no scent, so you can use put on another scented after shave after you have let this soak into your skin.

I also use it at night before going to bed and have really noticed a reduction in razor burn.

I would highly recommend this product. I use this almost daily, although I have some more expensive treat products that I use to get ready for special events. Overall, a very high quality and economical product that can be used on a daily basis.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This stuff is good stuff, but not moisturizing enough for cooler weather. Nice for warmer seasons, though. Cheap and found in most drugstores. I would recommend this for someone just starting out, but would also recommend they check out other stuff when they get settled with DE shaving to find something better. Weird scent that's not offensive, but a bit overbearing for my tastes.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Not that I get much razor burn after switching to DE, but I get the ocassional dryness. This stuff is good and is founded in every drug store.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Gets the job done, feels great going on, and leaves your face soft the rest of the day...if you use the right amount. If you use too much it will create a dry layer over your face.

This product was recommended to me by my dermatologist when I developed a rash on my neck. This didn't make the least bit of a difference (I think the problem was that I was using cheap store-brand blades). So the "Razor Defense" part seems to be pure marketing hype.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I just graduated to the Proraso liquid aftershave. The Neutrogena will do in a pinch, but it does not cool down as quickly as the Proraso, and does not moisturize as well either. Hard to tell if the Neutrogena is working later in the day or if it has evaporated away. But a good first step for a newby that needs to get his stash at the local drugstore.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I'm choosing not to vote because I can't compare it to anything else. It's good for an off the shelf product I'm sure, but it leaves my skin feeling maybe too toned. Maybe a bit dry, maybe a bit tight. It feels good and goes on well, but I do think I will have a better experience with another product.
....This stuff, is very,very good! I recommend it highly, does not have a perfume smell, can be mixed with any type of cologne afterwards. It moisturizes very well, and helps fight a break out, there is not much cooling sensation with this item.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This stuff made my already irritated skin swell up in BIG, ANGRY WELTS. I had to rinse it off and cool it down with AOS balm.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I had been using the Aramis Lab Series Razor Burn Relief (and its Plus and Ultra variants) for years, and picked up a tube of this to see if it would be a good substitute. It isn't bad, but for my face it wasn't my favorite. The fragrance is inoffensive at first, but I found that it got distracting during the day, and I didn't like having it right under my nose. Also, compared to the Razor Burn Relief stuff it's thicker and requires more to get equal coverage, and it doesn't have the instant burn neutralization that I've come to love about RBR.

But then I started shaving my head.

For some reason the thickness of the Neutrogena stuff works much better for me on the sides and back of my head. Maybe it's just that with the thicker cream I can feel where it's going, maybe it's that I've learned it's best not to try to shave those areas as closely, or maybe the skin there has so much more oil (oil that would be going into my hair if there were any) that this cream is a better match, but it fits the bill. I still use RBR for my face and neck, but I use the Neutrogena up top and in back and I'm very happy with it. If we're traveling I just take the Neutrogena and use it everywhere, and find that I don't mind the scent enough to decide to pack something else.

SWMBO seems to appreciate the fragrance when it's on my scalp, but she complains about it if I have it on my face. I don't notice it on my scalp at all. YMMV. :cool:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is a good little ASB, I have been using it in combination with the Neutrogena Facial Scrub and have been getting good results. It doesn't do much as far as razor burn goes, but it is a good moisturizer and doesn't irritate at all. However, I'd choose the Nivea sensitive balm over this anyday
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I like this stuff a lot. I find that when I get a bad shave or end up with some sort of skin irritation this stuff takes care of it better than about anything else. You can see from my SOTD entries I use this stuff on a regular basis. The scent isn't great and there can be a bit of a sting to it. It does take care of razor burn and gives sunscreen protection...what more could you ask for from an ASB for less that $10?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This stuff isn't bad if you're in a pinch and need some drug store brand stuff.

I use it sometimes, but I don't like the scent. Like all drug store stuff designed for men, it has that "sporty" smell. I prefer natural scents, or unscented stuff.

It does moistuize pretty well and does a better job than the Nivea equivalent. I like the cooling sensation, and the fact that it does work well if you put it on at night.

My only big issue with it (besides the smell) is that if you have oily skin, it leaves a tacky coating. If you are prone to acne, this could be a bad thing.

All round, in a pinch, it's pretty good stuff, but not every day.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Good ASB for the summer months. It has good incidental sun protection, it improves the skin look, and it isn't greasy at all. The sunscreen makes it a bit thick though. On the downside, during the winter months, this ASB doesn't moisturize enough. It's also fairly pricey for the amount you get. Use a regular, or anti-acne toner before this ASB for best results.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I started using this not long ago after I was going through the common drug store ASBs; I tried neutrogena, aqua velva (both alone and after using the aftershave splash), proraso,etc. and this so far has given me the best results. I shave at night so razor burn doesn't worry me a whole lot as my skin has time to recover, but this actually nourishes my skin as well and has helped make it look better (it says on the back of the tube "improves skin's healthy look" and it does seem to so far). There's also a mild burn to it in places where you nick yourself or get irritated which is good IMO b/c it lets you know where you messed up if you couldn't already tell:001_tongu .

Anyways, good, reliable product but a tad on the pricey side for the amount you get vs. other ASB's.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
It is not highly toning, you should probably use witch hazel or an astringent first if you want that effect and have oily skin. On normal skin it should be fine on its own, though.

What I like about this product is there is no burn to it at all and it is really soothing for razor burned skin and produces a little toning, too. It also is a good light moisturizer if you find your skin a little parched or worn from shaving. It has a slight feel on the skin but nothing heavy after it dries- this is a barrier of sorts to losing moisture, I suppose, and it is great for protecting against windburn/dry air but it doesn't have an SPF sunscreen, I believe.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
D
The stuff I use is similar, SPF30 though. I guess it's okay, but I wouldn't know the difference, maybe I'm actually doing a great job shaving and not getting any razorburn.
I've used this project for many years now, but sadly I'm beginning to look elsewhere. It use to be the best. It really moisturized your face. I'd put the Neutorgena astringent first and then the lotion and that was it. Now it seems I have to put several coats of the lotion so that my face does not dry up. You can put this lotion at night too, supposadly to help you with your next morning's shave. I don't buy that. It's a good product if you are use to putting several coats of your aftershave moisturizer.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)