What's new

Nanny's Silly Soap - Rose Geranium

Nanny’s Silly Soap is a small company which primary consists of Sharon Baxter, but she is also getting help from her grandson, Luke Baxter.
Sharon makes many kinds of soaps, and a red thread through her production is that she avoids synthetic ingredients whenever possible - which is something I appreciate, but without in any way being "holy" on the matter.
On the website you can see the list of ingredients on the products, something most other manufacturers could learn from.

The shaving soap is very soft and probably closer to a hard cream. It can best be compared with Cella in texture, just a little more soft though.
Sharon, however, calls it a soft soap, so I'll stick to that term below.

The soap come in a 100 gram plastic jar with metal lid (also available in 120 gram steel tin or 200 gram plastic jar).
The 100 gram jar is not the largest, but then it's good, that the soap is so soft, because it's no problem to load the brush.

The softness makes the soap very easy to lather up, and as the lather is created you see a clear difference compared to the factory-made soaps, because you do not get a foam as meringue or whipped cream, it seems more “flat” or less airy might be a better term, but one senses clearly that the foam is stable.
The lather is good, you just have to come to terms with the fact that it does not foam up in the same bulky way as the mainstream brands.
The lather provides excellent protection of the skin; it is very smooth and gives the razor a good glide over the skin.
I find it very suitable when using a straight razor, which in my opinion demands more of a soap than shaving with a DE.

The soap also has some really good moisturising properties; I feel no tension in or contraction of the skin after shaving.
A simple but effective test I always perform on a new soap or cream after shaving is to; rinse the face, dab it dry, and then just wait. The sooner you feel a pull in the skin, the more drying the soap is.
I don’t know if I maybe just got lucky the day I performed the test on this soap, but after half an hour, I still could not feel anything - I was just about to forget the aftershave.

When I bought the soap, I ordered three scents (the other two being Citrus Zinger and The Herby One) and they have all been very pleasant and by no means dominant or overpowering.

The following are maybe not too clear, but I've never been good at describing scents or colours, so this is to the best of my ability.
The scent is definitely floral, and I won't debate if it smells like roses – but it is very pleasant and has grown on me with use.
My guess is that quite a few women would like this scent as well.

I give full marks on all points, and will without my hand shakes compare the properties with those of Mitchell's Wool Fat, with a little lead to Mitchell's for slickness, while Nanny's in return wins big on fragrance (I'm not keen on Mitchell's scent which I find synthetic).

Prices are in the same range as Mitchell's refill (in the EU), and I don't find that unreasonable for a handmade soap.

I have no reservations about recommending this soap, which I find excellent.

Sharon has informed me that in the recent shaving soaps she has produced, she has added goat's milk, and the feedback is that these soaps are even better.
And with this last announcement, I'm happy that Shakespeare died about 400 years ago, otherwise " Frailty, thy name is woman" from Hamlet would have been written differently :wink2:

Web-page: http://www.nannyssillysoap.com/ps/
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing