What's new

Nancy Boy Shave Cream

This is an awesome procuct. My wife and I bought some other stuff so they sent me a free sample of the shave cream. I have always used soap with Cella being my favorite. For me this cream is just as good as Cella soap - you can't go wrong with either one!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Love the scent.

Love the slickness.

Love the moisturizing.

Love the performance.

Love it all.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
After reading other reviews of this product, I decided to give it a go.

Price: I gave it a 7 here only because you have to buy directly from the vendor, which means paying more for shipping (i.e. I have to buy other shaving products elsewhere and pay seperate shipping).

Quality: This is a top-notch shaving cream in terms of quality that deserves a 10. You can tell that they spent a lot of time working on the formulation for this cream.

Scent: I'd classify this as a very "minty" smell. Not my personal favorite, but certainly a very pleasant smell. Gave it an 8 here.

Latherability: I gave this an 8 only because this product wasn't made for lathering with a brush. That being said, I didn't have much trouble whipping it up with my Jaeger Best Badger Brush.

Efficacy: A definite 10 here. My shave was going so smoothly with this product that I decided to go ATG (which I almost never do). It went very well and any irritation I had was due to my terrible technique and not the product.

Moisturizing Properties: I gave it a 9. My face felt very good after this shave.

Packaging: Another 10 here. A nice, simple tub that I'll be able to re-use for travel. Plus, they threw in a free sample of their aftershave gel (which was VERY nice feeling on my skin).

This shave cream will definitely be in my regular rotation for a long time to come!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I rather enjoy the scent, very pleasing. I do not feel the peppermint is overwhelming. Delicious is the word that comes to mind.

The lather is so thick and rich.

Ultra moisturizing to boot.

+1 on the mild facial cleanser, it is a great product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Works well with a brush or applied directly to face.
Quite slick and cushiony.
Very nice smell.
Awesome moisturizing properties. No aftershave needed.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I continue to have a love/hate relationship with this shave cream. I initially thought the signature scent was the be all and end all but that is always subject to change. The overall peppermint scent gives me flashbacks of the 70s when every wannabe hippie used castille soap for everything, bath soap, tooth paste, dish detergent, ick!. Consistency of cold cream and finicky with regard to water ratio. Price point, meh, both TOBS and Cyril Salter match the price point and with a fixed flate rate of $8 FEDEX ground, shipping from NB is no deal unless you buy big. This cream does seem to shave close and yes face is smooth after two passes but stubbble is back sooner. And while my face feels smooth, both my razor head and shave mug have some filmy, gunky residue. JM Fraser easily matches performance of NB except for the "janitorial" scent and is frickin $14 for a pound of shave cream. So, all always, YMMV, try the travel size before you commit to the big pot.

I do really think the other products in the NB line, mild facial cleanser is a must if you have oily skin and the replenshing A/S gel (cucumber scent) is a goto for moi as well. Eric's customer service is second to none.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I am a relative newcomer to wet shaving, but I do already suffer from AD. I have tried numerous creams and soaps - Musgo Real, TOBS, Gold Dachs, Tabac. Before Nancy Boy I liked Tabac the best. When the Nancy Boy arrived, I decided to follow the recommendation on the package and just slather it on with my hand - the resulting shave was astonishing! Tabac is a very, very, very distant second now. I have continued to use NB by hand, and I have yet to find any problem with it. Perfect shave, no weepers, great moisturizing, etc. I hate to retire my badger brush, but until I find something that's even in the same league I'm sticking with NB by hand (I have used a brush but the lather doesn't give me quite the same shave as hand application).

Try it - and lather by hand. I doubt you will ever find anything better.

Scott
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Wow! I used to use TOBS but received a NB sampler from a friend and have not looked back, this stuff is great. It creates a nice smooth lather that goes on well and moisturizes the face while shaving. I sometimes like to mix this with some of my other favorite soaps, it gets kind of interesting. Everything about this cream is simple, from the packaging to the ease of lathering. Great product and I hope more people try it out.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Well, maybe I should try using more, as I haven't found anything special about it, other than the great scent (like a candy cane). It otherwise seems to be too dry.
This is awesome stuff. I love everything about it, especially the artificially sweet lavender/mint scent. The only thing I can think of that I don't particularly like is the fact that it is a brushless shave cream. For some reason I end up using a lot more of this per shave versus other creams. But, maybe it's just me...

Raymond
This is a great shaving cream: with my tweezerman, it was easy to whip up a bowlful of excellent, protective lather. I'd put this cream's performance on par with TOBS Sandalwood and Godrej Menthol Mist, the other two creams in my repertoire. The packaging is also good quality, with a flat lid for easy stacking.

I'm less pleased with the "signature" scent. The rosemary and mint is distinctive but doesn't happen to appeal to me. I'm also a little bit critical of the price: while it is on par with TOBS, Nancy Boy looks expensive by comparison to some of the other creams out there.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Nancy boy cream is a staple in my rotation and my fallback cream when I know I have to get a good shave. I have never tried to use it brushless, but with a brush this stuff is truly spectacular. It produces a nice thick lather and is pretty forgiving with the amount of water you add. I suspect this has to do with it being designed to be used brushless. The scent is very nice and refreshing - primarily rosemary and mint. It doesn't last beyond the shave, but I don't want it to.

And on the face the stuff is plenty slick and has great cushion. A few times I've had issues with it disappearing on my face, but I think that is an issue with not enough cream or wayyyy too much water - neither of which can be blamed on the cream itself. Add a bit more cream to the bowl and the problem is no more. I don't expect my shaving cream to be particularly moisturizing, but this stuff is as moisturizing as almost anything else I have ever tried (Tabac is the only one to top it). I can and sometimes do skip an aftershave entirely after shaving with this.

The tub it comes in has a nice clean, utilitarian look to it. The flower and "nancy boy" label aren't particularly masculine. If that matters to you you could easily remove or replace the label or move the cream to a different container. The price is a bit high, but the tub will last a long long time even with very regular use and the quality is totally worth it.

All in all this is in my book one of the overall top 5 creams I've ever used. I highly recommend it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I have used Nancy Boy for several weeks now and am a convert. My Poraso, AOS, T&H and TOBS sit unused. Until someone can point me to something that is in the same league, this is it for me.
Price - it may seem high but when compared to other top-end products, it is more than reasonable.
Quality - Simply the best.
Scent - The scent is OK and does not stay too long. Unscented would be better.
Latherability (Is this a word?) As others have noted, you apply the cream by hand and have a close, dense lather that does a great job. For those of you who want great peaks of lather, this is not the right product. But keep in mind that any later that is not in contact with either the beard or face does not help the shave.
Efficacy - It works and works well. Nuf said.
Moisturizing - It does such a good job that there is no need for a pre-shave oil or an aftershave balm. (Nancy Boy sells both of these products, but their shave cream is so good, you will not need them.)
Packaging - This is a very plain package (except for the flower). This reflects the NB philosophy of enviroment awareness. No points deducted for not being in an elaborate bowl inside a great box.

I have tried several of their other products and can give the shampoo, conditioner and styling gel a big 'thumbs up'. Considerably better than Redden or any other salon brands I have tried. Be careful with these. A little goes a long ways. The best customer service in the world. Try calling P&G and find anyone who is responsible for Tide. Call Nancy Boy and you will speak with one of the principals, and yes that includes the one who used to be a VP of the San Francisco Fed. Try it you will like it.
I've been using soaps almost exclusively for a while, but my face was feeling particularly dry and sensitive, so I decided to try a cream again. Having read good things about Nancy Boy, I decided to buy a tub, and I'm glad I did. I highly recommend it.

Price: It's not cheap, but it's not out of line with any of of the other nice creams many of us like. You can get 15% off if you sign up for "Club Nancy Boy," which essentially involves agreeing to receive one issue of their e-mail newsletter and is thus a no-brainer.

Quality: I think this stuff is top-notch.

Scent: their signature scent is a combination of lavender, peppermint, and rosemary, but I overwhelmingly get peppermint, and think it smells a bit like a candy cane. It's not unpleasant, but it would not be my first choice. It doesn't linger on me, and therefore does not clash with aftershave or cologne.

Latherability: I can get a good lather out of this, but it takes a bit more work than some other creams of work. I've found that I need more water than with some other creams. As I understand it, this was initially developed as a brushless cream, so the consistency is a bit different from a traditional "lather" shaving cream. It's worth the extra effort, though.

Efficacy: This is really great shaving cream. It shaves wonderfully and leaves my sensitive skin feeling great. I think this is a "must try" for those with sensitive skin.

Moisturizing properties. Great. See "efficacy."

Packaging: A simple plastic tub that does what it needs to. The labeling is minimalist and tasteful.

A couple of other notes. First, I find it helpful, and refreshing, that the NB website lists reasons that people did not like various products, in addition to reasons people did like them. I think that's a nice way to do business.

Second, if you need stuff in a hurry, don't use ground shipping. My cream took a week to reach me.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Last week my first order from Nancy Boy arrived. I honestly ordered the cream because I think the name of their company is awesome, and after reading some excellent reviews, I was curious to see what they had to offer. The cream is excellent! Smells great and lathers easily. I highly recommend this as a newbie's first high grade cream, and even for seasoned veterans looking for quality at an affordable price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
if your a newbie wet shaver don't waste your time buying other creams like I did, but Nancy Boy and judge all creams from that if its better then keep it if its not the trash it. I use it with a boar brush and I use the almond size dollop and have enough lather for three passes. I haven't been able to get this from anyone else. I also feel its the cheapest high quality cream out there, ( you also get another 15% off if you sign up for the news letter) they give your freebie products if you spend a certain amount and it changes every month. I am sold on the company and can't wait to try the other products. The only draw back is there is no other place to buy it but its worth it. Oh and if your trying to live a clean life Nancy Boy doesn't have Sodium Laurly Sulfate which is a known carcinogen that even Proraso, CO bigleow use to give you a fake lather. Run to Nancyboy.com
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I was definitely excited to try this stuff out based on all the great reviews. But the first few weeks of use were slightly disappointing. The scent I love and the price with shipping is very reasonable especially if you join the site. They also threw in a travel size cooling gel which was nice (hasn't worked well with my skin though).

The problem I have had with it though is that it just hasn't performed well with a brush. The instructions do say to just smear it on with the fingers but who wants to do that? Well I finally gave in yesterday and went without a brush... Man did it make a difference! My HD slid across my face as if it had no blade. Two passes were all that my face needed for a great shave! I think it's time now for the Slant or the Cobra Classic!

So while it is a bummer to do without a brush, it does give a much better shave. I follow up with some Humphreys Witch Hazel ($4 at sunflower market) and some rose hip oil and my skin feels amazing. I also get the rose hip oil from sunflower market and add 10 drops of Lavender, Peppermint and Rosemary essential oils for a great after shave balm. I have super sensitive skin and this stuff leaves my skin feeling great with no break outs. Smells great too!

I will be ordering this stuff again! Best stuff I've used thus far :001_smile
Not A Nice Person;1320933 said:
I can't believe I haven't rung in on this before now . . . last year I won a Nancy Boy sampler in the B&B Carnival, and have reordered multiple times since then---hardly ever use anything else, in fact.

Best. Shave. Cream. Ever.

Thick, thick, thick, and slick, slick, slick.

However, it needs said that this is a face lathering product. If you're trying to work up a bowl of lather, I don't imagine it would do that very well---but, with just a smidge on on the tips of a wet brush, applied to a wet face, and swirled in aggressively, and then a dip or two of the brush's tips in the sink to rewet, I get lather enough for 3-4 passes piled up in the brush. In fact, I always squeeze the brush out for my final pass, and end up with a cartoonishly ridiculous amount of lather piled on my face for my final pass.

Full size tub lasts me about three months of daily shaves. I just can't recommend it highly enough . . . daisy logo and all!

NANP™

I may have reviewed this product already on one of the previous pages. I just wanted to say that I only build lather in a bowl, and the Nancy Boy creams whip up into an extraordinary lather with a damp silvertip and a few drops of water added when necessary. I get a full four passes with plenty left over. Their product line is simply the best.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I just got a travel size of this cream to try it out, and I must say, it smells like crap, but what a great shave. I will be getting some of this, although I wish they had an unscented, version, or tamed the mint down.
I can't believe I haven't rung in on this before now . . . last year I won a Nancy Boy sampler in the B&B Carnival, and have reordered multiple times since then---hardly ever use anything else, in fact.

Best. Shave. Cream. Ever.

Thick, thick, thick, and slick, slick, slick.

However, it needs said that this is a face lathering product. If you're trying to work up a bowl of lather, I don't imagine it would do that very well---but, with just a smidge on on the tips of a wet brush, applied to a wet face, and swirled in aggressively, and then a dip or two of the brush's tips in the sink to rewet, I get lather enough for 3-4 passes piled up in the brush. In fact, I always squeeze the brush out for my final pass, and end up with a cartoonishly ridiculous amount of lather piled on my face for my final pass.

Full size tub lasts me about three months of daily shaves. I just can't recommend it highly enough . . . daisy logo and all!

NANP™
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability