What's new

Nancy Boy Cooling After Shave Gel

Pros: Scent, value
I just finished up 120 days straight (or there abouts) with my NB Gel.

It works well, scent is great to pair with other minty product or NB Signature cream and a little goes a long way.

A mild cooling sensation is had after I do my cold rinse and then apply the balm and it leaves my face well moisturized and feeling great.

If you use too much, you will get a tacky feeling, but once dialed in it's perfect. The odd time I would mix a bit in my hand with some WH to make it more like a splash and found it worked well with that too.

Overall a great AS Balm and one I would not hesitate to purchase again.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I sent Eric an email and mentioned a sticky feeling from the conditioning gel. He suggested moistening my hands before squeezing the gel onto them. I tried it this morning, and it works. No stickiness.
This is a perfect aftershave. It does its job better than anything else I have tried (didn't try TGR though).

The only gripe I have with it, (other than the sissy name), is that it doesn't cool me down much.

Other than that, I can honestly say that I trust the people at Nancy Boy. They have never disappointed, and they use very good ingredients.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I have noticed that a big complaint of this stuff is the tackiness. This stuff is awesome stuff and really needs special attention when being used. The directions say use a "pea" size of product. If you use a pea size then there wont be that tacky feeling. If you use a dime....you will be tacky:( The moisturizing abilities of this is great. It is very cooling and feels good applying...especially after a cooling AS splash(non glycerine) such as Osage Rub. This stuff is concentrated and will last a very long time! The smell is great! and really does a very nice job IMO. Kudos to Nancy Boy on another awesome product!
I really love the Signature shave cream and it's scent, but this cooling aftershave gel is something different. It cools my skin down alot, but my skin feels a little greasy afterwards. It works fine on all aspects it should work on, but it is just not there yet.

It wasn't as good as I had hoped and I won't replace it once I runs out. Most of the year I live in a cold country (The Netherlands), so I have no particulair need for a cooling aftershave gel that doesn't do much more than cool my down.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
cubiculum;260490 said:
I love the NB shaving cream, but I just don't really like the aftershave. I really wanted to like it, but it doesn't do much for me in the way of preventing irritation, and it leaves my skin feeling a little tight. And the smell - luckily, it doesn't linger; it's not pleasant at all. The blue plastic bottle it comes in is pretty nice, but the label is just printed paper and will come off easily if it gets wet.

Ditto. Maybe we are twins from another life. Seems to thick and somewhat sticky. After trying the Hydolast ASB it seems everything else pales in comparison. The only thing I have found that even comes close is from The Gentleman's Refinery.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I find their signature shaving cream to be outstanding and I plan on buying some more very soon. However, I don't find their gel to be as good. In my experience I would not characterize it as cooling. It has a waxiness that makes it more a toning gel than a cooling one. YMMV.

DaveS
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I have actually received emails from the president over at NancyBoy. I gave him feedback and a few days later I have a brand new NB Aftershave balm. So I say thanks for the free aftershave. unfortunatly, it still has the one problem. I love everything...the scent, the tiny alcohol bite, the cooling sensation. It is really great. The only not great part is the balm on your face after. It is tacky/sticky. If they could put something to remove the tackiness, then this would be my #1 AS.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I am not really satisfied with their AS.

Price: The price is ok for the amount you get. Could be less though.

Quality: The bottle is real simple nothing special. The product quality is good, but it doen't work well for me.

Razor Burn: I found it ineffective for razor burn, seems to cool it down temporarily but other products do a much better job for less.

Cooling sensation: Their is a light cooling sensation but nothing invigorating or lasting.

Scent: I really liked the scent, a peppermint type scent very pleasing and not too overpowering.

Efficicay: I don't think this AS product worked very well, it goes on kinda thick feeling and doesn't dissipate. Leaves my skin feeling sticky or tacky, like rubbing a candy cane on my face. Doesn't help with razor burn, overall dissapointing.

Moiturzing: Couldn't notice any moisturizing effect, better than just water though.

No alcohol burn: I only felt a slight burn that quickly went away and wasn't left looking like this :scared: .

Like I said overall not impressed with their AS. I have ued it about 6 times and after the first time I had to talk myself into trying it again. Everytime I use it I end up washing my face and putting Proraso on. I just don't like the way it feels on my face and it doesn't seem to make your face feel good after a shave. I really hate the tacky/sticky feeling I get from it. I have tried uing less and less of it and still get the same feeling. I will stick to Thayers and Proraso.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I buy it all the time! Using since Jan 07. Also visited their store in San Francisco, Eric Roos is a Very good Merchant . 15% discout too! You can't go wrong!:biggrin:
I love the NB shave cream, so thought I'd love this, but not so much.

First off, yes, the bottle is cheap-looking; who cares?

I like the scent, and the product seems to be a quality one, but it just stays too oily on my face. It must surely be the essential oils they've got packed in there. They smell good, and maybe in scaled-back dosages this would be good, but it;s just too oily for me.

It does provide a nice cooling sensation and no doubt moisturizes - if you can leave it on long enough.

I don't get razor burn.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I read so much hype about this product that I expected it to be the best thing that I had ever used. I bought it and it didn't live up to the hype. Perhaps my expectations were too high. It smells funny to me, but it moisturizes well. I'm not sure what I was expecting out of it. As you can see, the marks that I gave it are pretty good, but it's not anything that I'll buy again.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I love the NB shaving cream, but I just don't really like the aftershave. I really wanted to like it, but it doesn't do much for me in the way of preventing irritation, and it leaves my skin feeling a little tight. And the smell - luckily, it doesn't linger; it's not pleasant at all. The blue plastic bottle it comes in is pretty nice, but the label is just printed paper and will come off easily if it gets wet.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I find the after shave gel very cooling and soothing. It has almost a sticky texture after applied to your face which sort of detracts from its moisturizing. I think it is moisturizing but also very toning. The scent is the same as the signature creme but stronger. An herbal clean scent. Like the other Nancy Boy products you can tell the quality is only the best.

If you want a cooling after shave which feels soothing to your face without a moisturizing feel I don't think you can do better than this gel.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I love this stuff - it's my "go-to" ASB. With that said, I have to say that it does have a bit of alcohol burn to it, so I dinged it a bit for that - though I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. Moisturizing is not so much either, for that I'll use a different product. But after the cold water and alum block, the NB AS gel is a treat for my face and nose. Someone called the scent cheap and grotesque - I don't find it so at all, but again, it's a case of YMMV. I like the rosemary and peppermint notes, and She Whose Olfactory Senses Must Not Be Offended finds it enjoyable as well, so it's a hit at my house all the way round.

Still not wearing the damn flower t-shirt, though.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Kyle Stoner;153395 said:
My family still can't believe the Nancy Boy alone!!

Ha, I got this same reaction from my sister and mother. My sister thought my mother had written "Nancy Boy" on my sample jar, poking fun at my new hobby, when in fact that was the name of the cream and Scotto's handwriting.

My only response - I'm shaving with a sharp piece of metal against my face that most men won't dare touch. The only thing manlier would be hacking down trees near a log cabin in Alaska while simultaneously fighting off a mother bear protecting its cubs.
netsurfr;153354 said:
Thanks for the review. I will have to add this to my acquisition disorder list. But I am having a little trouble with the product name. Anyone else feel a little funny the first time they bought something from this product line? Oh well, guess it is no worse than buying a "Wacker" straight razor. :smile:

"This is my Nancy Boy, and this is my Wacker!"

My family still can't believe the Nancy Boy alone!!
Thanks for the review. I will have to add this to my acquisition disorder list. But I am having a little trouble with the product name. Anyone else feel a little funny the first time they bought something from this product line? Oh well, guess it is no worse than buying a "Wacker" straight razor. :smile:
Price: I received this in a package buy from a B&B user. As far as price, plain jane Thayers Original Alcohol Free blows this away. Considering that, I would never spend the kind of money they are asking for on this stinky gel.

Quality: Bottle is a generic blue plastic bottle with stick-on label. The gel seemed nothing special. The scents although painfully powerful seemed nothing special.

Fights Razor Burn: It disappears quickly without leaving any moisture.. I'd say no, not really.

Cooling Sensation: Very light.

Scent: Like a thousand of those tacky pine air freshener trees jammed straight up your nose. Like running full force into an evergreen tree. Horrible. Acrid. Nothing I want near my face after the lovely floral and fragrance scents of a normal morning cleansing and shaving.

Efficacy: I find it near useless. Even plain Alcohol Free Thayers Original provides a more moisturizing, calming affect after shaving.

Moisturizing: More like splashing water on your face than anything. As mentioned above, even Thayers provides more moisture.

No Alcohol Burn: Not on putting it on, but the supposed "cooling" remains after a bit and feels somewhat tingling/stinging..

Wow. I was shocked at the in your face, cheap, grotesque scent of this after all the talk of Nancy Boy signature scent. This alone has dropped ordering the shave cream to the bottom of my priority list. Perhaps the scent is more balanced in the cream, and I might still buy a sampler. As for this product, it's the worst I've tried in the aftershave/ASB category.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
When I first got the NB, I really didn't like it much. It didn't seem to do as well as my go-to balm, Caswell-Massey. However, as my shaving technique improved, so did the results I got with NB. Now, if I happen to get a rough shave with some irritation, I put on the NB after alum and witch hazel, and it calms things down better than anything else I have. This is the classic example of needing to try a product for more than a few times before rating it.

Thumbs up.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn