What's new

Musgo Real A/S Splash (old style bottle)

I came to musgo for the balm but I got the splash as well to have something lighter. It does still have a little moisturizing... something... that gets left behind as many have noted, but my skin needs that even in summer (working all day in dry AC maybe?). It does have some alcohol burn but nothing terrible. The scent is the same as the balm, more or less, which is a big plus for me.

I'm not a fan of alcohol aftershave but I'll put up with it for Musgo.

One great thing is unlike many many splashes I have this one actually has a little plastic piece so you can shake out a small amount instead of just having a big open bottle top which tries very hard to pour the whole thing out into your hand.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
One of The Best. Unlike the cheap-o American Classics....which I like.....MR never sours on me as the day progresses and remains constant, yet slowly fading throughout the workday.

Not as good for me as Speick at fighting razor burn and leaving my face feeling its best, but a moderately effective aftershave to be used on days when you get it right with the razor and with an amazing scent.

It gets a special spot on my shelf:
proxy.php
Musgo really deserves the praise it receives on B&B. When I first tried it, I wasn't wild about the scent. It is quite strong on application and has patchouli notes, which I don't typically like. The soothing and moisturizing properties of this A/S are first-rate, however. Over time, I grew to like the fragrance, which mellows quickly. Good stuff. Really.
Without a doubt my favorite aftershave. Granted, I haven't tried all that many but this stuff is good enough that I know when to stop and stick with one thing that works so well.

Works like no other, scent is great. Would like for it to be a little cheaper, but the price won't keep me from buying it.

Can be a little sticky at first but it dries quickly.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is great skin-care product for cold months. Has overwhelming moisturising properties that might work against you in the summer. But nevertheless, it does a great job with razor burns and nicks, moisturizes the face throughout the day. Includes witch hazel which is a BIG +. Scent is marvelous, perfect for office.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
First off, bottles aren't cheap, but will last forever. This stuff has a very pleasant (and somewhat elusive) scent that is not overpowering. Very slight burning and nice cooling sensations, great moisturizing properties.

I gave it a 10 for 'fights razor burn', but I honestly don't have a problem with razor burn, so I can't really speak to that aspect.

I also can't speak to the differences in new old/packaging and any possible difference in the product inside becuase I've only tried the new box, but this is a winner.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have had my bottle for nearly year now and I must say this is the best aftershave product I have used. No joking with that comment. This a/s does what an a/s splash is SUPPOSED to do. It soothes and moisturises the skin. I am one of those guys who feels that if you need something after every shave to stop burn then you should be looking at YOUR SHAVE TECHNIQUES. As a general rule I hate most aftershave products. Overpriced, worthless ****e. Most are chock full of alcohol and do nothing but burn. This one is so far ahead of other splashes it isn't even close. It has a nice aloe juice component and the alcohol content is mild indeed. The scent is a lovely, manly, spicy, musky affair that I enjoy immensely. I have the newer yet retro art deco styled bottle and I like it just fine. This one is another product that will never leave my toiletry locker. It IS that good. The only categories I rated less than 10 were "fights razor burn" and "cooling sensation". I don't need it to cool me down. I shave well enough now that usually never get razor burn at all. When I do, I reach for this one. 'Nuff said.

Regards, Todd
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Been using the Musgo for a few months and I really love the effects. Great scent, fights razor burn like a heavy-weight champ, and feels good on my skin. Isn't tacky, and is especially nice during the blast-furnace heat we are having in Southern California.

:biggrin:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Lovely stuff, I'm hooked. Smells great, not overpowering but plenty strong enough. Provides moisture and seals my skin after a shave just wonderfully. Could do with some more alcohol though, I like the brief sting to wake me up in the morning,
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
$22 may not sound cheap, but as this compares favorably with price-no-object elixirs, it's downright reasonable.

One of the finest smelling shaving products extant. The burn is tolerable even when you've overdone it, and the overall feel is incredible. If this isn't the best thing I've tried, it's certainly in the top two. :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I like the scent of this aftershave but as others have noted, it leaves a film on my face that just feels way to heavy. It could be the aloe. In any case, as much as I wanted to like this because of the scent, I just can't deal with the tacky film that's left on the face all day. I've tried all different ways to apply, wet face, water mixed, little amount of a/s. It doesn't seem to matter much in my case. Could be that I have slightly oily skin but it just doesn't absorb well for me.

As far as how it works, I guess it's ok, but I find other products do the same or better at a fraction of the cost. I personally like using TN Dickinson's as it dries quick and leaves me smooth. I wish Musgo could do the same because the scent of it is, like others have said, simply hard to beat and there's not much else like it.

Would I recommend this to others? Quick answer would be no.

John
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I like the scent, but I found that this aftershave left a sort of film on my face, which I attribute it to the aloe that is added to the newer version. It's not bad, and is moisturizing, but its not what I expected from a splash. Also, the scent is pretty short lived. I might grow used to this a/s or I might not. Time will tell...
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is one of the only splashes that I use-I have dry sensitive skin, so most traditional splashes are not for me. The MR is soothing cooling and moisturizing without a bunch of alcohol to burn my face.
This is a nice summertime change for me from the balms that I normally use.The scent is very refreshing and traditional and unlike most splashes will stick around awhile.

Give it a try!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This stuff is fantastic. One of my favorite aftershaves. The scent is great, the burn really isn't too bad either. I would say it moisturizes as well as many of my balms and your skin feels great afterwards. It also fights razor burn incredibly well. Definately a good purchase!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Just picked up a bottle and agree that its great stuff.

I think the smell is better and longer lasting than the Proraso a/s, but, for me, the Proraso feels better after a shave.

This aside, the Musgo is going to be used on a regular basis and I recomend it to anyone who likes more traditional scents.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I have the newer formulation, without the cork box. The product is as good or better than it ever was. There is literally nothing like the scent of this stuff. To say it screams masculinity is an understatement. It feels really good on your face as well. One of the top five aftershave products out there, period.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
proxy.php

Shaving does not have to be boring.... it can be a glorious sensory exploration - whereby each morning is a new adventure - a new combination... a new way to start your day. If I wake up in the morning and think to myself "I'd be better off dropping my head back down and going back to sleep" I'll force myself up, stumble to the bathroom and grab something that really kicks me into gear - like a tub of salter mint, QED espresso, QED peppermint, or proraso. After my shave I will follow up with a "zippy" aftershave product, and a energetic, sharp, zesty cologne that focuses on the "highs" such as Zirh, T&H 1805, domain etc.... on the other hand, when I wake up feeling like the Greek god Zeus looking down at the small world below me, I grab for a bottle of this....

P1010076.JPG

I had/have never seen a review or even so much as a commentary on this product in the past, and after having used it several times now, I am completely baffled why this is the case. Maybe it's $22 price is a bit steep compared to a bottle of proraso a/s splash at nearly 1/2 the price, or Musgo not having as illustrious a reputation on message boards as its competitors from Italy and England. Whatever the case may be, I find this product to be simply intoxicating, and worthy of much greater attention. This is the first product in quite some time, that has REALLY wowed me, and so long as they make this product I will ALWAYS have a bottle or two handy.

When you first grab hold of this product, you are immediately taken aback by the texture of the box.... looks just like cork - then it dawns on you..... it IS cork. How neat? They cover the box in a very thin layer of actual cork... really gives the box a gorgeous look and feel, and really makes this product stand out in a positive and unique way. Very elegant text on the front and back of the product that reads.....

P1010077.JPG

This relaxing splash is blended from fragrances imported from Grasse, France including patchouly and vetyver, offering a a subtle infusion of woody and spicy scents to create a sophisticated and masculine aroma. Added are glycerine and allantoine, to calm and comfort just-shaved skin, resulting in a superb incorporation of sense and scent.

P1010078.JPG

Once you take the bottle out of the cork-box, you are greeted with a simplistically elegant clear glass bottle - with what’s that? A label made of cork I really like it when products exude attention to detail, class, and just plumb doing things right, and the look and feel of the bottle/label is really first rate. Hats off to Musgo!

P1010079.JPG

When the bottle arrives, it will have a plastic stopper in the top as shown....
P1010080.JPG

Simply take a ball point pen, punch the tip thru the top of the plastic, and you can dispense the product with ease in the desired proportions.

Ok - with all that out of the way - what makes this product so fantastic? For me it is the incredibly elegant, hoity toiety old world scent. I have not smelled another fragrance which has such a "rich, lofty" scent to it.... I feel it borders on majestic. Throughout the day it constantly reminds you in an elegant fashion that it is still there, and although (at least for me) present nearly the entire day, it was NEVER overpowering or annoying - it was simply there, calming, relaxing and inspiring you along the way. The fragrance is just so delightful in my opinion pictures and words simply cannot do this concoction justice.

As far as the efficacy of this product, I found it to be surprisingly soothing, especially for an alcohol based a/s splash. It lightly moisturized my skin - beyond anything I have typically experienced from an alcohol based a/s splash, and soothed and toned my skin with the best of them.

Truly magical stuff - and if you are want or need to have one of those days where you calmly swagger around as if you own the globe.... reach for a bottle of this magical liquid.
Top Bottom