What's new

Musgo Real A/S Splash (old style bottle)

Pros: Scent; mositure
Cons: Price
Great AS splash. The scent is masculine, fresh, woody and citrus at the same time. Women (and girls) love it !

It causes a minor alcohol burn but quickly fades away. It mositurizes the skin well.

Its only con is the price; it is double that of Speick AS but is less burning and more moisturizing (due to the aloe vera probably).
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Really hides irritation well
Cons: Sticky residue on skin
If MR did not leave the yucky sticky residue on the face, and if the scent were more muted, this would be my second favorite aftershave. The scent is very nice, but too strong to wear on business. I've tried watering it down when applying but it does not cut down on the tackiness or mute the smell. Besides these drawbacks, it does and excellent job cutting down on razor burn.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smell
Cons: Finish
I'd have to agree with the reviewer above who complained about the tacky finish. It does smell good...and different. But it's heavy on application and even if cut a bit with water it never achieves or comes close to that dry, powdery finish. I find myself leaving it on the shelf.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Pros: A "date night" scent with class for days
Cons: weak bracer
As a scent, I can't think of any other on the planet that can top it. I would wish for just a slight bit more alcoholic bracing quality and this would be an everyday without a doubt. Thus, I still keep Proraso and AV Ice Blue around on the more troublesome days. If all goes well, it is Musgo Classic I reach for. Nothing exudes class and masculinity like this scent. Total gem.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Classic, classy, elegant and gentle on my sensative skin
Cons: Smell does not last long on my skin
Now I’m a chap who likes to use an aftershave but with sensitive skin, in growing hairs and razor burn I struggle. After reading a few bits on B&B I thought I should give this a go, so dropped Father Christmas a line. He did not disappoint and nor did Musgo Real. Wonderful smell, soft skin and absolutely no stinging or irritation. What a wonderful way to start the day.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
excellent stuff. it has staying power on my skin and I can smell it on me well into the late afternoon. seems to get sweeter smelling as the day wears on. minimal/no burn going on. a very sophisticated splash that I enjoy immensely. highly recommend.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price - Middle of the road as far as I'm concerned - Just a bit higher than some, lower than the real high end brands.

Quality - Yes, they use quality ingredients as far as I can tell

Fights Razor Burn - As well as any other, but not the best for it.

Scent - Very light scent that I don't really care for. I was expecting something closer to the cream, I guess, and was a bit disappointed in it.

Efficacy - This is where I was really disappointed. Personally, I expect a splash to be light and easily "splash" on your face without any fuss. Musgo Real is more like a light, sticky balm. If your face is too dry it's not going to go on very good at all - I find my hands stick to my face and uncomfortably pull my skin, so I have to leave my face pretty wet if I want to use it.

Moisturizing - It is a very moisturizing splash, too much so in my opinion for a splash. It borders on being a light aftershave balm.

Burn - No burn unless I was a bit heavy handed during the shave and then it isn't bad at all.

Overall I am pretty unimpressed by Musgo Real splash. It just doesn't feel light and refreshing like I think an aftershave splash should.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I wanted my 100th post to be in honor of my favorite shaving product so far. For me, nothing beats Musgo AS. I will always keep extra bottles on hand. At first I did not like the scent too much, but now it is one of my favorites. If you have not tried it, please do. You will like it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Amazing stuff. Holds a permanent place on my short list of aftershaves. Perfect scent, effect, feel. The scent is understated, and can speak for itself without shouting. It embarrasses me when aftershaves get where you're going five minutes before you do. No cooling effect, but I have other aftershaves I use when I want that. Viva Musgo!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Musgo is a classic and well deservedly so. What I like most is not the scent but the efficacy. My skin loves this stuff. The bottle is also nicely presented with a nice cap. A must have in the rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price

In the US, this costs around $22 plus shipping, making it one of the most expensive aftershaves I have. I'm not sure how much it costs in Europe, but my guess is it would be a little cheaper over there. Personally, I feel the price is a little high but it is what it is.

Quality

Quality seems fairly high for this type of product. This is basically an old school alcohol based aftershave with a few extras to enhance performance. It comes in a heavy glass bottle with triangular corners which gives it a classy, vintage sort of vibe. Also, it doesn't smell cheap. The scent might be synthetic but it certainly doesn't smell that way.

The ingredients are as follows:

Alcohol, Aqua (Water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Extract), Perfume, Glycerin, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium PCA, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel Extract), Echinacea Purpurea (Echinacea Extract), Bisabolol

Looking over the ingredients, it doesn't seem like they are trying to cut corners. If you shake up the bottle, little bubbles rise to the top just like with a bottle of Thayers but not as thick. I would imagine there is a decent amount of aloe in there but obviously not as much as Thayers. I'd be curious to know how much of the extracts are in there but there is no real way for me to tell. I will say that it doesn't feel the same on the face as cheaper aftershaves, FWIW.

One thing I really like is that the top has a special plastic shaker inside that only lets you dispense a little at a time when you shake the bottle into your hand. This is a great idea and I don't know why more aftershaves aren't packaged with this.

Fights Razor Burn

I didn't have razor burn when I used this so I can't really comment on that. I did notice a slight soothing effect when I applied it but I'm not sure how much help that would be to someone with razor burn.

Cooling Sensation

No menthol here and this is not a cooling type AS, so this doesn't really apply.

Scent

The scent is supposed to be a mix of vetyver and patchouli. That sounds about right. It's a sort of herbaceous, grassy, green scent overall that reminds me of an old-school men's cologne. The scent is quite strong when applied and it does tend to linger for awhile. I could still smell it 2-3 hours later. I would imagine citrus and vetyver colognes might be pretty compatible with this but most other things would clash. I personally like the scent quite a bit but it may not be for everyone. This is probably not the AS you want to use before a first date, job interview, important business meeting, etc.

Efficacy

This AS seems to do a good job. It has alcohol to close pores and disinfect and some extras to help heal and sooth your skin. I did find that it had a slight soothing effect after the alcohol burn started to fade.

Moisturizing

It's a high alcohol based splash so I didn't rate it for this category. If you want moisture, you need a moisturizer or an aftershave balm after you put this on. I know some guys might find this moisturizing but I personally did not. As long as I follow up this one with a balm or moisturizer I'm okay. Otherwise, I find it a little drying, especially considering it is winter right now.

No Alcohol Burn

There is some burn. In fact, I had quite a bit of burn after a 3 pass shave where I wasn't exactly over-aggressive and I applied it with wet hands to a wet face. I don't know what the percentage of alcohol is in this but I would imagine it's at least 50% or more. Thankfully, the alcohol burn lasts less than 10 seconds.

Overall this is a unique aftershave with a nice scent that gets the job done but is somewhat expensive. Perhaps I'm not as wild about it as some members of this board, but it really is quite good. If it sounds like it might be up your alley, give it a shot.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Been using this now for a few weeks so happy to review it, average price, feels good on your face and seems to give a nice finish to your shave, the scent is very masculine and i think quite cool to wear and even a bit classy, lingers as well but not overpowering, my face always seems complete after i put this on and soothes lovely after a nice shave with that very nice aroma, well worth having in your collection.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I recently purchased this from another member who had had a less than favorable experience with it. So far, I enjoy the product.

Price: not cheap, but not Trumpers price

Quality: top Musgo quality

Razor burn: helps quiet the burn, but not as well as a highly mentholated product

Cooling: very little other than the evaporation of alcohol (so I added some menthol myself)

Scent: Wonderful old-world scent of Victorian aristocrats

Moisture: tough to say as I don't what the ingredients are. Seems at least okay to me.

Burn: this is an alcohol splash so brace yourself
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This was one of the first shave products that I bought whn I became a DE shaver about a year and a half ago. I picked up a bottle of Musgo A/S and a tube of Musgo S/C at Pasteur's on 34th street in NYC and when I first opened the A/S I did not care for the scent at all - it smells like nothing else but powerful - and I found that it left a sticky film on my face. I put the A/S on the door to my fridge (where I keep my other alcohol A/S's - I got my own place) and figured I would sell it or give it away or something and I never opened the S/C.

Eventually I read a few threads about Musgo A/S where others complained about the stickiness and were advised to apply it to a wet face and I tried putting on a bit of unscented witch hazel before applying the Musgo and right they were - the whtch hazel diluted the A/S a bit right on my face. In the meantime I warmed up to the scent - so much that I even picked the Musgo soap (on a rope!). Today I broke the metal seal on the tube of Musgo S/C that I was sitting on for a year and a half. I got crazy lather with a cream brush and now I am loving the scent - fresh cut hay and something else that I cannot put my finger on. Like so many aspects of DE shaving i.e., shavers, blades, soaps, etc, it takes a bit of patience and sometimes if I do not like something immediately, I find that if I revisit it in 6 months I might feel differently.

Bottom line - this is great stuff - moisturizing and great smell.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Just received my first bottle of Musgo today after reading the excellent reviews here on B&B. It has more than lived up to expectations. Very little sting, nice moisturising feel on the skin & the scent is just out of this world, well done B&B for alerting me to this superb product.:001_smile
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
The whole line of Musgo Real products are first rate. Works great and smells fantastic.
I just tried this for the first time today. I was really impressed by how very little sting there was to it, and how incredibly moisturizing it is. Seriously, my face felt like I had used a balm, rather than an alcohol based aftershave. The scent is also fantastic. I can't really describe it other than to say that it reminds me of a very manly barbershop. I really like how long the scent lasts, too. Unlike most aftershaves that fade in an hour, or so, I could still smell traces of this at least three hours later.

Don't let the $22 price tag deter you. This is a great aftershave, and the nifty (and stingy) little reducer cap will ensure that you will not waste it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is some stuff that takes getting used to for me. It has a very strong scent and you had better like it because it's not going away. I cannot wear a cologne when using this aftershave. However if you like the scent, you don't need cologne. You will smell it all day.

I used it this morning after a slant shave and the sting was even milder than with Speick. That, for your information, it mild indeed. It was not non-existent, but even the most pain-averse user should be able to handle it.

I have found that it is very easy to overdose on this stuff and end up with a sticky face. Someone on the aftershave forum suggested applying a few drops with a damp hand and that seems to work very well. My face feels great and the scent is still very much with me 9 hours later.

Musgo is not cheap, nor is it super expensive. Based on the fact that you should really use less of it than you think you ought (I was used to slopping on the Speick - which means disaster with Musgo) it is very economical and extremely effective.

The scent is very old world and barbershop. I do like it quite a bit when applied properly. Go easy and this stuff is great.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
First off, Im a HUGE bay rum fan and use one in my collection daily. I just bought MUSGO REAL A/S and I must say, the scent is SO GOOD! THIS is what a MAN should smell like! It doesnt remind me of grandpa or Barbershop, just a classy, manly scent. I would rank this in my top "2" if the scent lasted longer and was a bit more stronger. I dont like overpowering scents, but if only this lasted a bit longer and was more powerful, man! Only negative is: if I apply too much, I get a sticky film on my face. I didnt get too much of a cooling sensation and for me, I use it more as a cologne after applying a short lasting "cooling" a/s, such as av or such. I find the feel of this a/s to that of SCS Med Citrus, a bit sticky, but as a cologne, just right. If they were to kick up the scent, Id buy this in 55 gallon drums!!!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Musgo Real is a product that I will never be caught without. When it comes to alcohol-based aftershave splashes, I generally prefer the less expensive stuff; AV, Master's Bay Rum, Old Spice, Pinaud Bay Rum, Pinaud, etc. This is the only "expensive" alcohol-based aftershave I use, and from what I've had gentlemen tell me there isn't any need to buy any of the other pricey ones if you've got this stuff in your shave den.

Let me start off by elaborating on price. I gave her a 10. My reason is that this stuff, for me, is worth it just based on scent alone. As far as an aftershave is concerned, efficacy-wise I have not found any better. When I think about it, it's a cologne, aftershave splash and aftershave milk/balm in one. When you take all that into account, it's a bargain in my opinion.

Some gentlemen complain that there is a sticky residue left behind. I am pretty conservative with using mine, and have not had this problem, only for a minute or so maybe. That being said, this stuff leaves my face feeling like no other aftershave I've used. I haven't seen it mentioned very often, but I like to shake mine up before applying. If you pay attention, there are actually little goodies floating around in the bottle.

Scent. What else is there to say about that scent? Joel described it correctly that it's a very hoity-toity, old world scent that is very classic and very masculine. The vetiver/patchouli is beautifully done. This scent lasts for a couple hours on me, but I make sure to dab a bit on my shirt collar to make it stick around a while longer. As said, this may be used as a cologne as well, but I've experimented with also applying complimentary fragrances (Guerlain Vetiver, Floris Vetiver, etc) with much success.

Efficacy-wise it is second to none. It really kicks the crap out of razor burn. Unlike other aftershave splashes, this one moisturizes very efficiently as well. It doesn't leave my face feeling greasy, despite my oily skin. Just soft, supple and refreshed. I gave it a 7 for alcohol burn. She is an alcohol-based aftershave, but doesn't burn like the others. After a rough shave there is some bite, but much less so than with other standard alcohol-based splashes. Just wonderful all-around stuff and again, I won't be caught without it.

They don't sell it in gallon jugs, do they?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)