What's new

Muhle Sea Buckthorn shaving soap

Pros: great smell, good shave
Cons: time to lather
not your typical shave soap scent, subtle and not overbearing. Took a while to lather, other than that, would definitely buy again.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Thick rich lather, great slickness
Cons: odd sized puck
Having just finished up my 5th shave with this product, it is definitely earning a spot in my regular rotation.

Price: 6 $7.14 delivered for a smaller than average 65 gram puck puts it slightly above average, considering the soap is hard and is going to last a decent amount of time for it's size.

Quality: 10 Definitely top-notch performance all around, no parabens, no petroleum jelly.

Scent: 10 This, of course is totally YMMV, but I happen to really enjoy the scent of this soap. I tend to enjoy natural smelling soaps, rather than cologne-based ones, and I like the scent to rinse off after the shave, this soap hits the mark in both cases.

Lather: 9 Dense, rich lather, provides top-notch glide/slickness. Very forgiving of the water/soap ratio, even when the lather is a bit too dense, it doesn't lose it's slickness. This soap produces some of the nicest lather I've came across in over-all performance. (Please note that I have completely softened water. With hard water, YMMV.)

Efficacy: 10 Does what it's supposed to do, provides a good close protective shave.

Moisturizing: 5 I find this soap to be very average for after the shave skin care when not followed up by an ASB. In line with Speick, Tabac, Valobra stick.
Please note: 5=average in my rating scale, it doesn't mean bad, it simply means compared to the dozens of other soaps I've tried, it's average.

This soap will definitely find a permanent place in my rotation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
After reading various comments on this soap in different threads, I decided to order this soap when I purchased an Omega Boar #81052 from WCS. Took all of four days to arrive, so a shout out to WCS. Price was like $11 for the soap, $14 for the brush. Great prices for both. The soap is a triple milled soap, vegetable based. So if you're the vegetarian type, this is good one to try. Although smaller than Tabac it should last a long while.
I've been pairing both the Omega and Muhle together and have gotten excellent results with the soap. I find the lather to be better than Tabac. Blasphemy I know. I've gotten BBS shaves with it, the razor and blade seem to glide effortlessly across my face, offering lubrication and protection at the same time. It moisturizes fine not leaving my face dry. My only nit with it is the scent. It's fine but it doesn't make me want to sniff it like some of my other soaps do when I pass the bathroom. Except for that I'm giving 10's straight across.
This is a serious soap and I think it is better than either Tabac or Irisch Moos.:thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I really wanted to like this soap more, partly because I am absolutely thrilled by my Mühle razor and partly because I love sea buckthorn. However, I just haven't found it to be all that great.

The price is reasonable, although I marked it down a few notches because I have to make two batches of lather per shave. With many soaps, a few swirls with the brush will make enough lather for 3 or 4 shaves. With the Mühle soap, I can only generate enough lather for 2 passes, and then I have to go back to the puck.

The quality is excellent. The soap doesn't contain a lot of unpleasant ingredients, and it comes in a well-made, handsome beechwood bowl (with a lid). My one complaint with the bowl is that it's a little shallow, so lather always creeps out the sides.

Scent is fantastic. I have eaten sea buckthorn berries (and drank sea buckthorn liqueur) in Finland, where the plant is called "tyrni." It grows near the sea and is very thorny. The berries are orange, about the size of blueberries, and incredibly sour. I was told to freeze the berries to alleviate their acidity. Once I did this, I found them to have a delicious, somewhat citrusy taste. The Mühle shaving soap is very reminiscent of the taste of the berries, but without the sourness. The scent of the soap is not strong but is very refreshing, and if you happen to get a little lather on your lips, it doesn't taste bad at all!

The lather is OK. It's not the most thick or luxurious lather, but it gets the job done. Efficiency is good, although it's not as lubricating as my favorite shaving soaps (Pré de Provence and Provence Santé), or even as Cella Crema de Barba.

However, the post-shave sensation is very nice. This soap seems to keep my skin moisturized without any sensation of oiliness or greasiness. The texture is in keeping with the scent - light and refreshing.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I've tried this puck in particular (well aloe and sandalwood too but that's other review...) and i'm surprised about the good results it can achieve.

Being on a small size (65 gr/2.3 oun) it lasts a long time. Being harder than some other soaps, i can get, still, a nice and moisturizing lather.

The amazing thing about this soap? His scent,fresh and marine.A wonderful choice if you want a nice and quality soap!!

Edwin Jagger soaps are made by Muhle too, it seems to me...the scents are the same such as the weight and shape.Same product but different branding.

At € 5/6 a puck (8/9 USD) what can go wrong?!It deserves a try, no doubt about it!! :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Hi All,

After using this soap ten times or more, I can say it's one of the better ones I've tried. This has joined my small regular rotation of favorites.

The lather I get from this stuff is as thick and rich as DR Harris or MWF. I believe this soap is fairly hard, and I have best results using something a little stiffer than my silvertip. Seems like it's a little easier to load the boar brush up, but both type brushes will do the trick nicely.

No problem whipping this stuff up.....no weirdness to deal with regarding soap/water ratio. The lather has a great look to it........very inviting.

There's plenty of slip, which helps the razor waltz around without resistance. The cushion is very good for protecting the face from that sharp blade. Only place this falls off a bit is the post shave skin care. It's good, but not like the Harris or MWF.

I love this scent! It's described and a fruity/fresh sorta fragrance, which sounds ok to me. It's a unique(to me) frag that hits me just right. Very wonderful!

The puck is small(2.3 ounces) and I've seem em sold for $9-12 or so. I think this stuff will last quite a while because of the hardness, but can't say for sure. I'd say this would be a good value.

I'll definitely order this again when needed and would recommend giving it a try.

Martin

Oh, did I mention that I love this scent!

(Picture courtesy of Fendrihan.....thank you)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)