What's new

Muhle R41 open comb

Pros: aggressiveness
Cons: weight, length
I was a bit disappointed by the length and weight of the handle, particularly at first. It's much lighter than razors of comparable size. But the balance on this is spot-on and it was easy to find. Also, it was easy to find the proper angle and my first shave with it (using an Astra Super Platinum and Kiss My Face cream) produced a nearly BBS irritation free shave. I think a few more uses and it will be in my 5 or 6 razors.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
I bought the Muhle R41 Open Comb after my first razor the Muhle R106, which has a closed comb. It is currently in my rotation with a Rocket and the R106.

At 29,90 euro at the manufacturers website, this razor is well priced in the league of modern DE razors.

The quality is outstanding, the razor is beautifully made and all detail are well done. A piece of German craftsmanship.

I found the R41 a very easy shave. The grip is good, because of the engraved pattern. The head has been reviewed before, and I second the observation that the head makes a correct angled shave very easy. Even in the difficult spots I found this as easy as the Gillette.

It is a three piece razor, so I rated it 8 for ease of blade replacement as the TTO Gillette with which I can compare is just a bit easier.

The R41 provides a bit more aggressive shave compared to the closed comb R106. The open comb provides a close contact to the skin and lets the soap make contact with the skin comfortably. The handle is OK for me, but some might prefer it a bit longer. The razor is in perfect balance for me.

All in all, a modern masterpiece at an affordable price.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I actually prefer the open-comb merkur. The extreme light weight of the handle on this one I find unpleasing, and the grip is done with a light scoring that doesn't do much to make it easier to hold when slippery soap gets on it. Finally the head seems a little more aggressive than the merkur.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
I love this razor. The quality is faultless and it gives a very close, comfortable & irritation free shave.

It's a little lighter than my Merkur 11c but, feels better balanced as, what weight there is, is in the head. The handle is slightly longer than the Merkur which makes it a little easer to move around the face. It's an aggressive razor but, feels less so than the 11c. I think it's the combination of the slightly longer handle and top heavy feel that make it feel this way. I've only marked it down for 'Ease of Blade Replacement' as it's a three piece rather than a two piece razor but, to be honest, it makes little difference.

This is my second open comb razor and other than my first attempt with an OC, when the blade I used was too sharp, I've had nothing but good shaves from them. I get BBS with less passes.

I can't recommend the Muhle highly enough-BUY ONE NOW!:thumbup::thumbup:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Let me start by thanking people at BestGroomingTools.com for their help!
They seem to have all prerequisites for a successful on-line business:

- Nice selection of high-quality products
- Top-notch customer service
- Easy-to-navigate web site

I would definitely recommend them!

Now, as for the razor, there are several interesting things:

- The head is identical to Merkur-12C, the open-comb barber pole design, which I have reviewed previously. It is definitely made at the same factory and even has the same production stamp on the inside.

- After many years of shaving with various DE razors, I am getting convinced that the shaving technique is the most important factor, i.e., your ability maintain a constant angle of approximately 30 degrees to the shaving surface. Hence, I consider the head design to be of utmost importance! A blade inserted into the Muhle-R41/Merkur-12C open-comb head meets the shaving surface at approximately 75 degrees when you keep the head parallel to the floor. If you then tilt the handle nicely upward and maintain a 45-degree angle between the handle and the shaving surface, the blade will meet the surface at the sought-after 30-degree angle. Voila! That is the beauty of the Muhle-R41/Merkur-12C head design!

- The three-piece design does not bother me at all, but two-piece is more convenient: It boils down to personal preferences.

- The quality of Muhle’s open-comb razor is pretty much the same as Merkur. I would probably give a slight advantage to Muhle, due to a very nice design of the handle.

- The shaving is pleasant, although I did miss the heft of Merkur-12C because Muhle-R41 is much lighter. However, one should keep in mind that lighter weight gives, in general, a bit more maneuverability.

Overall, if you are looking for a great light-weight open-comb DE razor, look no further!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)