What's new

Muhle Custom

Item Description

Upon request, a review of a custom Muhle Olivewood / Silvertip brush.

Pics are here.

This particular model was sold in 2009 and was customizable.
For as far as I know, these options are no longer offered on the Muhle web store.
I guess a new Sophist No. 93 H 85 is quite comparable:

proxy.php

I bought this brush in July, 2009 to start off my DE journey.
It is still one of my most priced brushes and a very attractive brush after twelve months of active duty in the fierce competition of some Semogues, Simpsons and our own TGN knotted handmade brushes.

So, how is it and how does it compare to the competition?

Price-wise, it is fair value. At 73 euros (*) this is a well priced Silvertip and given the expensive olivewood and the nickel silver (I think) the price seems even more right.

The quality. It is a Muhle, and that should mean something for quality of the handle. It is truly well build, a real masterpiece. The quality of the knot is at least on par with my original Simpsons and the renowned TGN Finest.

Stiffness. This brush has a very good backbone, and while it certainly is a luxurious silvertip this brush is in no way floppy. It has enough backbone and stiffness to eat soaps and excel with creams. More flexible than the Duke 3 and the Semoque boar. Not a shredder also, which is good :thumbup1:

Softness of the tips is just right for me, and this brush is a stable force in my rotation. It is softer than the original Simpsons Duke, but not too. Again, just right. I like it over the TGN Silvertip knots, which can be very if not too soft when set a bit high in the handle.

As for ergonomics; I like the real classy design and execution of the handle. Not only because it so easy to hold, and I like the looks of it, but also for the great looks. The wood is not lacquered, and that really makes this handle shine. I also appreciate this handle being typically Muhle and not another
almost-Rooney or semi-Simpson.

Latherability. Good, effective, fast with either soaps or creams.

Overall, a noteworthy piece of craftsmanship that has been providing pleasurable and effortless shaves for a year now and I expect lots more to come!

I consider it a must have or at least must-consider in a well stacked den. It is is a timeless design that is nice to handle, feels great to the face, and performs as it should. Think more in terms of classic German Bauhaus than in terms of traditional British barbershop and discover this brush has a lot to offer.
:thumbup:

(*) now 93 USD, then a bit less

Latest reviews

Upon request, a review of a custom Muhle Olivewood / Silvertip brush.

Pics are here.

This particular model was sold in 2009 and was customizable.
For as far as I know, these options are no longer offered on the Muhle web store.
I guess a new Sophist No. 93 H 85 is quite comparable:

proxy.php

I bought this brush in July, 2009 to start off my DE journey.
It is still one of my most priced brushes and a very attractive brush after twelve months of active duty in the fierce competition of some Semogues, Simpsons and our own TGN knotted handmade brushes.

So, how is it and how does it compare to the competition?

Price-wise, it is fair value. At 73 euros (*) this is a well priced Silvertip and given the expensive olivewood and the nickel silver (I think) the price seems even more right.

The quality. It is a Muhle, and that should mean something for quality of the handle. It is truly well build, a real masterpiece. The quality of the knot is at least on par with my original Simpsons and the renowned TGN Finest.

Stiffness. This brush has a very good backbone, and while it certainly is a luxurious silvertip this brush is in no way floppy. It has enough backbone and stiffness to eat soaps and excel with creams. More flexible than the Duke 3 and the Semoque boar. Not a shredder also, which is good :thumbup1:

Softness of the tips is just right for me, and this brush is a stable force in my rotation. It is softer than the original Simpsons Duke, but not too. Again, just right. I like it over the TGN Silvertip knots, which can be very if not too soft when set a bit high in the handle.

As for ergonomics; I like the real classy design and execution of the handle. Not only because it so easy to hold, and I like the looks of it, but also for the great looks. The wood is not lacquered, and that really makes this handle shine. I also appreciate this handle being typically Muhle and not another
almost-Rooney or semi-Simpson.

Latherability. Good, effective, fast with either soaps or creams.

Overall, a noteworthy piece of craftsmanship that has been providing pleasurable and effortless shaves for a year now and I expect lots more to come!

I consider it a must have or at least must-consider in a well stacked den. It is is a timeless design that is nice to handle, feels great to the face, and performs as it should. Think more in terms of classic German Bauhaus than in terms of traditional British barbershop and discover this brush has a lot to offer.
:thumbup:

(*) now 93 USD, then a bit less
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)