What's new

Molton Brown ultracalm lemon leaf shave wax

Item Description

So after some research I decided to take one for the B&B team and experiment with the Molton Brown ultracalm shavewax.
http://www.moltonbrown.com/shaving_products/ultracalm_lemon_leaf_shavewax-c1152p685.html

What is a shavewax you say? Well it seems to be a shaving cream of a more milky substance. really, you have to see it to understand. Anyway, lets move on to the shave. I pulled out my goto razor and blade (A Futur set on 3 and a new Derby), set out the wax, my alum, and my standard pre-shave oil. (I am trying to keep everything as standard as normal for comparison) and jumped in the shower. After a nice shower and face wash with hot water, I put on my PSO , cleaned the mirror, and opened up the wax. The first issue is how much to use? The instructions say apply generously . A little ambiguous right? So I started with about an almond sized amount on my fingertips and started rubbing it on my face. This felt good and the wax felt good on my face. Here is the problem though, it goes on almost transparently and can barely be seen. I carefully reach for the Futur, a little worried that there is not a thick lather on my face and gently start my WTG pass. I am shocked! The blade slides effortless over my 1 day growth, no nicks, no cuts. Washing my face with some warm water, I reapply a little less than before. Again, another WTG pass and again utter disbelief that
I am not a bloody mess. For a last time, I wash my face and reapply the wax for a final XTG pass with my Futur on 2. Generally, I would go for a 4th ATG pass with some touch-ups, but I am a little hesitant as I am experimenting with a new product and tomorrow is New Years Eve and I want to look good. I finish up shave, wash my face with warm then cold water. Use my alum block. Apply some Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel and my standard GR ASB.

Conclusion. What a great shave! By far, the smoothest 3 pass shave I have had. (I need the 4th to get BBS on the jawline and upperlip). The wax is extremely moisturizing. Even before adding the Witch Hazel or ASB, my face felt extremely soft and moisturized. I have no noticeable irritation and only one small nick, which was do to me not the wax. The major problem as I see it (or dont see it) as that you cant really see the wax on your face. It is hard to tell if you are going over an area twice. Tomorrow, I am going to experiment by adding just a drop of the Floris Santal cream when applying the wax to my face so I can better see what I am doing.. I will update the group with my progress.

Some other observations: The scent is lemon as expected from the title. I like it a lot and it layers well with my standard post-shave products. Is this product for everyone? Hell no, I mean creating a lather on your brush is just relaxing and enjoyable. Is it worth giving this product a try? Definitely! Especially if you have a brushless travel rig or a in a hurry shave-setup.

Latest reviews

I have been using MB Lemonleaf shave wax for years and still love it and marvel at its efficiency. The smell is subtle but natural, i can't resist a sniff at the bottle sometimes. It is pretty transparent, but perhaps being so used to it, i'm pretty able to see where i've shaved.. i think if you shave with a light on it helps (i mean even during the day) so it reflects off the shiny wax. Wax is indeed a strong word. It has a texture that's oily but it's water-dissolvable. I have mentioned this product before on SOTD etc, and people have asked what a shave wax is... i take it that this product is the only one of its kind. I usually use it when i want BBS or if i'm in a rush. I would say that of all my products this one is the most likely to give a BBS, AND it takes the least effort. Otherwise, if time permits, it is nice to have a good old indulgent shave with proraso p&p and a nice english cream. So in short, yes the fragrant creams are part of 'the experience', but MB Lemonleaf shave wax is pleasurable to use in its own right. The only problem is that shave is over before you know it!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
So after some research I decided to take one for the B&B team and experiment with the Molton Brown ultracalm shavewax.
http://www.moltonbrown.com/shaving_products/ultracalm_lemon_leaf_shavewax-c1152p685.html

What is a shavewax you say? Well it seems to be a shaving cream of a more milky substance. really, you have to see it to understand. Anyway, lets move on to the shave. I pulled out my goto razor and blade (A Futur set on 3 and a new Derby), set out the wax, my alum, and my standard pre-shave oil. (I am trying to keep everything as standard as normal for comparison) and jumped in the shower. After a nice shower and face wash with hot water, I put on my PSO , cleaned the mirror, and opened up the wax. The first issue is how much to use? The instructions say apply generously . A little ambiguous right? So I started with about an almond sized amount on my fingertips and started rubbing it on my face. This felt good and the wax felt good on my face. Here is the problem though, it goes on almost transparently and can barely be seen. I carefully reach for the Futur, a little worried that there is not a thick lather on my face and gently start my WTG pass. I am shocked! The blade slides effortless over my 1 day growth, no nicks, no cuts. Washing my face with some warm water, I reapply a little less than before. Again, another WTG pass and again utter disbelief that
I am not a bloody mess. For a last time, I wash my face and reapply the wax for a final XTG pass with my Futur on 2. Generally, I would go for a 4th ATG pass with some touch-ups, but I am a little hesitant as I am experimenting with a new product and tomorrow is New Years Eve and I want to look good. I finish up shave, wash my face with warm then cold water. Use my alum block. Apply some Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel and my standard GR ASB.

Conclusion. What a great shave! By far, the smoothest 3 pass shave I have had. (I need the 4th to get BBS on the jawline and upperlip). The wax is extremely moisturizing. Even before adding the Witch Hazel or ASB, my face felt extremely soft and moisturized. I have no noticeable irritation and only one small nick, which was do to me not the wax. The major problem as I see it (or dont see it) as that you cant really see the wax on your face. It is hard to tell if you are going over an area twice. Tomorrow, I am going to experiment by adding just a drop of the Floris Santal cream when applying the wax to my face so I can better see what I am doing.. I will update the group with my progress.

Some other observations: The scent is lemon as expected from the title. I like it a lot and it layers well with my standard post-shave products. Is this product for everyone? Hell no, I mean creating a lather on your brush is just relaxing and enjoyable. Is it worth giving this product a try? Definitely! Especially if you have a brushless travel rig or a in a hurry shave-setup.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)