What's new

Midnight Stag shaving soap

Pros: Lathers nice but chiseled face has better soaps
Cons: smell is awful I PIF'ed this after a week
When they say this is not for everyone take heed. It smelled like burning plastic army men when I was little.

If you want the same quality but better smell try Santa Clara, Cedar and Spice, Or Ghost town barber. If you want off beat try their Pine tar its out there but one of my favorites
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: slickness, cushion, scent
Cons: scent is not for everyone
From the manufacturer:
"This one is masculine. Like really, really masculine. Like a 'take an old, beat up leather jacket, drape it over a couple of tires to make a table and clean your guns on it' kind of masculine. Dark, unrefined, and totally unresistible [sic], this is a scent for those who don’t mind sticking out. Those who forge the paths. Those who are proud to be a man."

Price: US$14.99 (plus shipping) for a 4-ounce tub--US$3.75 per ounce by weight. The soap arrived in a simple, plastic tub, which means I did not pay for fancy packaging which would contribute little to the shaving experience.

Quality: It appears to be a well-made product which includes aloe, avocado oil, castor oil, glycerin, and silk powder. The company notes that some artificial scents were used in order to achieve the desired effect, but I expected that.

Scent: Chiseled Face describes the scent as "Russian Leather, Motor Oil, Hoppes #9, Birch Tar, Oakmoss, Gasoline, Smoke, Cedar, Cade, Bergamont, and Vanilla." It is unique in my experience, and reminded me of garages, shooting ranges, and all manner of outdoor activities. Gasoline and Hoppes (a firearm-cleaning product) are most notable to my nose, with leather and cedar not far behind. This is not a gentlemanly scent--more of a thump in the chest than a cordial handshake. That suits this old mountain man just fine.

Lather: My simple pure-badger brush quickly and easily produced a thick, creamy lather. Excessive water was not necessary. No drama. No issues.

Efficacy: Not a slick as Williams, for example, but it nontheless produces excellent glide, and it provides ample cushion for straight shaving. I experienced no razor burn and no nicks, cuts, etc. It adds up to an enjoyable shaving experience.

Moisturizing: My skin felt great, likely due to the avocado oil, mango butter, and silk powder.

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Aloe Vera Juice, Potassium Hydroxide, Beef Tallow, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Glycerin, Fragrance, Mango Butter, Avocado Oil, Silk Powder
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)