What's new

Mexican Chiapas from Ristretto Roasters

This was the first coffee I tried from Ristretto Roasters, and one I'd recommend to anyone. It is silky smooth, and very easy to drink. Out of all RR coffees, this is the easiest to approach and the one to use when introducing people to medium roast coffees. While not my favorite from RR, I ALWAYS have a bag on hand. Never overpowering (regardless of brewed strength), naturally slightly sweet, good body, and plenty interesting.

If you're going to use milk, this is the RR coffee to do so with. However, I think it tastes marvelous black. Fantastic in an Aeropress.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
I am now a fan. It lacks acidity and has full flavor. I have drank many different coffees through out the years and I am now a fan. Give it a try! You won't be disappointed.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
I am a big fan of DJ's coffees and this one doesn't dissapoint. If you are a big fan of bold rich flavors then this shouldn't be your first selection. It is just a creamy, smooth easy drinking cup of coffee. If people were coming over this would be the bag of beans I would reach for. Something everyone could appreciate. Make this in an Aeropress and prepare to be impressed.

I have been to Mexico plenty of times but never experienced coffee like this. I think DJ could teach them a thing or two about how to roast their beans.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
I could just cut and paste Scott's comments, but why waste bandwidth?

If I don't have a cup of tea, I consider the day a failure, no matter what else I may have accomplshed. I'll have to add coffee to that list now.

The reason I never considered coffee to be a "serious" drink is, in retrospect, quite simple- I never had a good cup. Sure, I tried Starbucks, et al, but was never knocked over. Bought tons of stuff from Zabars with the same results. Who would have thought that despite their massive turnover, they were selling a product that wasn't fresh? I used to think that all coffee tasted the same. Turns out it was all roasted to death, and stale, to boot.

I'm certainly not expert enough to provide a substantive review, so I'll just say this- I like it. The Mexican Chiapas wasn't my first choice, but the sample I received was wonderful. It's as if a whole new world has been opened to me.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Back in the day I drank a lot of coffee. Then for a period measured in years I drank nothing but tea. After all the great reviews of our very own Dinder1's coffee from Ristretto Roasters, I have now become a coffee convert again.

I received a number of coffees, and to be honest, the Mexican Chiapas was the one I had the least expectations of. I was always a fan of Ethiopian coffees, and I never thought much about Mexico. Well, I stand corrected. This is one great coffee. It has a perfect balance of flavor and acidity, and is never overpowering. It is wonderful black, and makes a mean latte. I can almost feel the Mexican soil between my toes when I drink this. It has a complex flavor including some spices and vanilla, and is incredibly refreshing. If you are not a person who likes super-intense, rich coffee, this would be a great choice for you. Tons of flavor without being overpowering. Worth every single penny.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)