What's new

Merkur Vintage Slant

I can't do a rating because I believe this pristine, vintage, NOS beauty should never be used. Mine became a part of my collection, and what a fine piece it is! I picked up one of the current Merkur HD Slants for use.
When i first bought that razor from Chessman i wasn't sure i would be shaving whit it. But 2 weeks passed and i got tired to look at the razor without knowing what feels like to use it, so i gave it a try. I heard that this was "satan razor" so at first i was a little scare, but i loaded a brand new Feather in it and shaved. All i can say is that this razor is well balanced considering is size, its user friendly, u shave whit it like a normal DE considering the NO PRESSURE rule. I got very good shaves whit it yet. I would gave him a 10/10.:thumbup1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I got another example of the fine batch from Chessman (I think this will forever be a "Chessman Slant" on B&B, maybe it should be shortened to a CS [a la "58SS"]) and its a classy piece, closer to a vtg G than a modern Merk. Only finishing worry/gripe is the white coating on the handle, which looks brilliant, until you breathe on it, then it comes off! Hoping this will rub right off to reveal lovely plating underneath. Cuts well, nicely balanced and IMHO better than a new one, but you still have to faff around to get the blade set right before you use it
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
1.00 star(s)
Thanks. I hope you liked it.
I bought this razor from a guy from ebay. The price was ok for me, because this NOS vintage razor is not available every day.
The razor looks delicate compared to the current slant and the weight is lighter (57g).
The knob at the bottom comes out of the handle when you replace the blade, because it is not fixed in the handle like it is at the current slant. They made this improvement later.
The plating looks nice, according to a vintage brochure this razor is silver plated and I like it more than the chrome plating that is used today.
I can get a close and comfortable shave with this razor. Because it is lighter than the current one this razor is a littlebit less aggressive than the other slants I tried to me.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)