What's new

Merkur Slant/38C Sledgehammer

Item Description

In another thread I related how the Slant/38C came to be thanks to the excellent customer service of Dovo/Merkur.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=277867&postcount=1

My friend and fellow Slant aficionado Der Fritzer dubbed it the Schräger Vorschlaghammer» ("Slant Sledgehammer"). A fitting title for one of the finest razors I have ever shaved with. The Slant Hammer is a Merkur Slant head on a Merkur 38C handle.

proxy.php

My first shave with the Slant / 38C hammer was a single pass with an IP that had been used twice before. I was in a bit of a hurry as I had to get to work, If I hadn't been pressed for time I would have put a new blade in but I figured the IP would do and it would be a good test to see how the hammer would perform with a less then perfect blade.

If you have shaved with the 38C or a Gillette Big Fellow you know that the weight and the length can be advantageous for those with large hands and so the Slant/38C combo is. Add the diagonal cutting action that gives the Slant it's unique performance advantage and you have the best of both worlds. I got an irritation and nick free close shave with the now thrice used IP.

The following day I again had to go to work but gave myself a little more time. I used a new Feather and did a two pass shave with one nick due to pilot error. The hammer reminded me of the Vision and shaved just as well. Heretofore the Vision had been the best razor I had ever shaved with but the hammer equaled or even surpassed it.

The third shave with the hammer and the second with the Feather blade was another two pass affair. Again a bbs shave this time with no nicks or weepers. On this day's shave I noticed what Leisure Guy refers to as the acoustic property of the Slant hammer. You can hear the whiskers being sheared off by the diagonal cutting action of the razor. The hand feel and balance of the slant head and long weighty handle is to my mind a perfect combination of form and function.

Today I decided to go with a new Merkur Super Stainless blade. I have seen various opinions on the efficacy of Merkur's blades and I have been surprised to see complaints as I have always gotten a good shave out of them and today was no exception. Using Trumper's Almond soap the hammer performed almost as well as with the Feather. I did a two full passes followed by a third rinse and re-lathering to do another pass on the neck. I admit that I haven't needed the third pass when using the Feather so the Merkur Super falls a bit short . The Slant hammer still gave a great shave.

2nd shave with the Merkur Super was smooth as silk. A 3 pass BBS with no irritation, nicks, or weepers. It being my intention to give as complete a review as possible I decided to try the Hammer out with a variety of blades available to me. Next up was the Derby. I had used one of these from a five pack in the past and was disappointed in the performance. I gave the rest of the pack to a friend.

Some time later I got another pack that was included in a razor deal and knowing that many forum members give the Derby high praise I decided to see how the blade would do once more. I know many like the Derby and get great results but the YMMV thing proves to apply in this case as these blades just don't agree with me. I did a day one and a day two with a Derby and the shave was adequate but not up to the level of quality that I got using the other blades.

Next up the Gillette Swedes and I got a wonderful shave with them. Day one and day two were a pure pleasure. On both days I did a two pass shave. The Wilkinson was another pack of blades that came to me in a razor deal. I hadn't shaved with a Wilkinson DE blade in near forty years so I was interested to see how the shave would be and they were as good as I remembered them being. A very nice two pass bbs with no weepers, nicks or irritation.

So there you have my first week with the Slant/38C Hammer. This is now my go to razor and I can't say I won't rotate with other favorites but I can say that if I could only have one out of all this would be it. Below is a link to a poll to try to drum up some interest and influence Dove/Merkur to put this into production if anyone reading this would care to participate.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=278173&postcount=1

Latest reviews

In another thread I related how the Slant/38C came to be thanks to the excellent customer service of Dovo/Merkur.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=277867&postcount=1

My friend and fellow Slant aficionado Der Fritzer dubbed it the Schräger Vorschlaghammer» ("Slant Sledgehammer"). A fitting title for one of the finest razors I have ever shaved with. The Slant Hammer is a Merkur Slant head on a Merkur 38C handle.

proxy.php

My first shave with the Slant / 38C hammer was a single pass with an IP that had been used twice before. I was in a bit of a hurry as I had to get to work, If I hadn't been pressed for time I would have put a new blade in but I figured the IP would do and it would be a good test to see how the hammer would perform with a less then perfect blade.

If you have shaved with the 38C or a Gillette Big Fellow you know that the weight and the length can be advantageous for those with large hands and so the Slant/38C combo is. Add the diagonal cutting action that gives the Slant it's unique performance advantage and you have the best of both worlds. I got an irritation and nick free close shave with the now thrice used IP.

The following day I again had to go to work but gave myself a little more time. I used a new Feather and did a two pass shave with one nick due to pilot error. The hammer reminded me of the Vision and shaved just as well. Heretofore the Vision had been the best razor I had ever shaved with but the hammer equaled or even surpassed it.

The third shave with the hammer and the second with the Feather blade was another two pass affair. Again a bbs shave this time with no nicks or weepers. On this day's shave I noticed what Leisure Guy refers to as the acoustic property of the Slant hammer. You can hear the whiskers being sheared off by the diagonal cutting action of the razor. The hand feel and balance of the slant head and long weighty handle is to my mind a perfect combination of form and function.

Today I decided to go with a new Merkur Super Stainless blade. I have seen various opinions on the efficacy of Merkur's blades and I have been surprised to see complaints as I have always gotten a good shave out of them and today was no exception. Using Trumper's Almond soap the hammer performed almost as well as with the Feather. I did a two full passes followed by a third rinse and re-lathering to do another pass on the neck. I admit that I haven't needed the third pass when using the Feather so the Merkur Super falls a bit short . The Slant hammer still gave a great shave.

2nd shave with the Merkur Super was smooth as silk. A 3 pass BBS with no irritation, nicks, or weepers. It being my intention to give as complete a review as possible I decided to try the Hammer out with a variety of blades available to me. Next up was the Derby. I had used one of these from a five pack in the past and was disappointed in the performance. I gave the rest of the pack to a friend.

Some time later I got another pack that was included in a razor deal and knowing that many forum members give the Derby high praise I decided to see how the blade would do once more. I know many like the Derby and get great results but the YMMV thing proves to apply in this case as these blades just don't agree with me. I did a day one and a day two with a Derby and the shave was adequate but not up to the level of quality that I got using the other blades.

Next up the Gillette Swedes and I got a wonderful shave with them. Day one and day two were a pure pleasure. On both days I did a two pass shave. The Wilkinson was another pack of blades that came to me in a razor deal. I hadn't shaved with a Wilkinson DE blade in near forty years so I was interested to see how the shave would be and they were as good as I remembered them being. A very nice two pass bbs with no weepers, nicks or irritation.

So there you have my first week with the Slant/38C Hammer. This is now my go to razor and I can't say I won't rotate with other favorites but I can say that if I could only have one out of all this would be it. Below is a link to a poll to try to drum up some interest and influence Dove/Merkur to put this into production if anyone reading this would care to participate.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=278173&postcount=1
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly