What's new

Merkur Platinum Double Edge Blades

Pros: Smoothness, Longevity
Cons: Price
Not the sharpest blade in the world, this much maligned blade will consistently deliver a smooth and comfortable shave more often than not. And I can get more quality shaves from a single Merkur blade than I can from 2 feather blades.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth, durable.
These are the blades by which I judge all others. They're not the sharpest, but they're sharp enough. They shave smooth, cleanly, and are predictably the same from shave to shave. They also last a good amount of shaves, getting 3-5 shaves per side myself. There may be better blades out there, but these are the ones I buy (and use) regularly.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: quality
Cons: not easily available in bulk
These blades have given me a very comfortable shave. Whilst they are not as sharp as the feather blades, they do deliver a very smooth and comfortable shave, with good razor glide to my sensitive skin with thick and fast growth.

You do need a few more strokes/passes to get the closeness, but overall its a very comfortable, forgiving, well engineered blade that does a superb job.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Easily obtainable
Cons: Rough on my skin
These things aren't very good for me.
Reasonably sharp, last for four or five shaves depending on your tolerance for razor burn and are available almost everywhere.

They aren't smooth and always leaves my skin slightly irritated.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: None
Cons: None
Like drinking water. Nothing to get too excited about
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Durability
Cons: Cost, sharpness
For the price I paid, I expected to get a better blade. I was disappointed by the sharpness and smoothness. Overall, there are much better blades at better prices.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Pros: No Pros
Cons: Very bad blade
I got a free blade with my 38c merker, and for the first time i went to use a de razer with a merker blade, and it was pulling the hair out of my face and i almost fond it imposable to shave but i went throw the pain anyway and got the job done, four days l8r i tryed to shave again and i tought i cant go throw this again when i tought id put in a different blade in a Wilkinson sword blade and i was amazed at how smooth the razer worked and glided throw cuting the hair with no pulling at all, merker most be the worst blade out there
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Cons: Price & Smoothness
Didn't like the lack of smoothness with these, also think they are a little overpriced compared to others.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Pros: comes in a box
Cons: everything else
I lack the necessary vocabulary to describe how bad these blades are. I'd compare them to butter knives, but that would be insulting butter knives. No pressure, no hair reduction. Pressure...blood loss.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Reliable quality, good packaging
Cons: Not the most aggressive and there are smoother ones that shave just as close.
Overall the Merkur has given me good, reliable shaves in both my mild SS and my Fatboy (turned to about 6 or 7). The Merkurs are sharp and give me shaves almost as close as a Feather.The quality is obvious after shaving with them for some time. They are consistent and I haven't really found a bad blade in the package.Pricewise they are not cheap blades. They cost about as much as the Feathers but are not quite as sharp. In my trials with various blades, the Merkurs seem very comparable to the Gillette Sharpedges is quality and closeness.In my Fatboy the Merkurs are certainly not as forgiving as the known less aggressive blades such as Red Israelis or Derbys and have left me, at times, with a small weeper or nich here and there. Like the Feathers, the Merkurs seem to go well with the less aggressive razors such as the SS, Krona, etc. to give a closer shave than combining one of these razors with a mild blade.Overall not a bad blade but since the price point is right up there I'll lean toward the Feathers when looking for a sharp blade.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: They were free
Cons: Tugging, not very sharp
I purchased a Merkur Futur and it of course came with Merkur blades. I used the the first three and cut myself several times and simply chalked it up to being new to wet shaving. I had by then ordered 20 of what I had heard/read were considered very good blades, Feathers. It was night and day in comparison in shaving experience. The Feathers last me about 3 shaves with 2-3 passes each. I have tried the go back to Merkur just to use them up and end up tossing them. I highly doubt I will attempt to finish the pack off.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Serviceable. That is about it.
Cons: Mediocrity, but you don't know that until you find something really good.
I've been using a Merkur HD for a little over a month. A blade came with it and they are easy to find where I live. I figure the razor should be well matched with the blade, so that was what I continued to use.I made an online purchase of some accessories and I opted for something different and picked up some Feathers. Leaving aside and not buying into the hype, I got a really good and effortless shave right away. The combination of the Feathers and the HD just..... works. The shave is fast, enjoyable, smooth as silk and so long as you focus on technique the results are just so much better.But, this is a Merkur blade review. The Merkur seemed finicky, short lasting, pulled something awful and was really rough on my neck. I just figured that was how DE shaving was supposed to be and I nearly chucked the whole thing. I'm glad I tried something different. Bottom line: there is such a much better option. The only reason you would use the Merkur blade is if you ran out of your "go to" blade and found the old Merkur in your drawer under the deoderant you stopped using 5 months ago. It'll work. It's just no fun. To me, mediocrity is a four letter word.... and I don't really use profanity.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Came in a plastic case
Cons: Poor shave - not smooth, not sharp, not fun
Price - I bought them in a sampler pack, so the price was fine.

Quality - As far as getting a good shave, I think I got one out of three weeks of use.

Sharpness - From the beginning, I had to run at least three passes to get an acceptable shave for a two day alternating pattern.

Longevity - Since I dispose of my blades on Saturday after using them for a 4 pass Sunday, 1-3 pass Tues and Thurs, and 2 pass Saturday, the quality level lasts long enough.

Smoothness - In order to get an acceptable shave, I'd end up with significant burn and still need to buff patches.

Packaging - I like the plastic containers in the event that I will be travelling with the blades. The container is sturdy keeps the fresh blades from falling out of the drawer.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Handy plastic box. I finished the packet!!
Out of the various blades in my sampler pack, these blades were the ones I grimaced at having to use again. :cursing:

I had a selection of Personna Platinum Red, Feather, Derby Extra, and Astra to choose from and rated the Merkur as the worst.

I found they didn't hold their edge, and almost seemed blunt from the get-go.

After purchasing a Merkur 42 1904, which I love, I thought that their blades would have been of a comparable quality. But alas, I was sadly mistaken.

Just to rule out the razor itself, I have also trialled the baldes in my Muhle R89 - but again I had the same result. :scared:

The most positive thing I can think of about theses blades is that I have now used them all, and won't purchase any more.

My favourite blades to date are the Feathers & Personna Platinum Red. But am keen to trial some of the Lord Platinum class blades after having read the various reviews here.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: quality
Cons: price
Merkur Super Platinum stainless double-edge razor blades

There are better blades for the price.

Price: n/a (purchased as part of a sample pack, but the prices I found are above average)

Quality: Consistent edges; visible hone marks on bevels.

Sharpness: Second tier for sharpness.

Longevity: Lasts 3-4 days, which is average for the blades I have tried

Smoothness of Shave: Acceptably smooth, but not particularly close.

Packaging: Plastic box of 10 with disposal slot. Single-wrapped with adhesive.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: great comparison
Razorsdirect.com has these at an awesome price! Gotta check em out
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp, smooth, comfortable
Cons: The price
Free sample blade but the prices is quite high compared to other DE blades.

I got four good shaves out of this, my benchmark is three so happy there. Nice three pass and buff DFS with 70percent BBS shaves as routine which is what I aim for.

If they were a pound cheaper for ten I would probably have them as my go to, but they are doible the cost of Lords.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Totally underwhelmed by these blades. With so many excellent choices out there, many cheaper (astra platinum and stainless; rapira, personna reds) and some more expensive (the gillette "colors" and feathers) there are many better ways to spend your money. Totally mediocre.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
A very dependable smooth shaving blade. Seem to be a tad thicker like and se blade, high quality, along with a high price tag. I dont see why such a smooth shaving consistant blade gets a bad rap often on the forum. If it were cheaper it would be my go to blade...
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These are the blades i started DE shaving with; but can't say i'm convinced.
i never got a great shave out of them and always some tugging was present

Price:where i got them the price is simply outrageous; 5€ is to much
quality: seems fine; not much to add here
Sharpness: compared to others i'd rate them to be somewhere in the middle; not ninja sharp but no butter knife either
Longevity:; good; but given that i don't really like them i hardly ever shaved with them for more than 4 or 5 times in a row; they didn't seem worse at the end though
Smoothness: i'd say bad; i've had worse but i wouldn't call them comfortable; i always had some tugging
Packaging: 10 blades in a plastic box; nothing new, nothing fancy, nothing useless
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)