What's new

Merkur HD

Pros: nice safe shave
Cons: eventually rusted and coating flaked off
Bought my HD iate 2007. Had to throw it out end of 2010. I scratched my face one day & noticed that the chrome plating (?) had come away on the head as though it was stiff aluminium foil.
For all the praise for Merkur's quality it seems strange I've struck out with both the HD & Slant (see my other review)
It shaves nicely & as a newbie I quickly learned not to nick myself.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Very easy to learn with
Cons: Hard for me to shave under my nose
My first D/E safety razor and it has been a pleasure to use. I paid too much for it Becasue I got it from AOS. I find it hard to shave directly under my nose but that may be more of a technique issue. For the price this is a great razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: well made, excellent shave
Cons: short handle takes a couple of shaves to get used to
Excellent razor for the beginner to the advanced user. Handle takes a week to get used to, but is well balanced.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Very close shaves.
Cons: A little more aggressive than some say.
Most say that this is a great beginners razor, not for me it wasn't. I had to learn my technique with milder razors after using the HD due to its aggressiveness.

Once my technique was sorted I then returned to this razor and got stella results. It mows down every whisker in its path and I don't need anything more aggressive than an HD. Superb, but get your technique first.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: solid, basic tool
Cons: not as forgiving as originally thought. Poor finish
The HD is the razor that everyone recommends for a beginner, hence my purchase. It is a good tool, but some caveats. The finish and fit is not that great and it is aggressive though not extremely. The latter quality makes it a good learning tool becuase you need to learn how to get the correct angle and the pressure.

I used this for a month or so and managed to get my basics at 90% or so, and tried wit with Feathers, 7 O Clocks (Russian Greens, Blues and Yellows) and the original Merkur blade that came with it. The best blade for me was actually the Merkur, followed by the Russian Blues. The Yellows and the Feathers resulted in a lot of razor burn and weepers.

I have now moved to an EJ Chatsworth which is less aggressive and faster to use.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Everything!
Cons: Not as exciting as any razors
Simple no frills razor that does what it is designed to do. Would recommend to anyone especially someone who got into wetshaving for the money saving factor. Could not really rate more highly!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I would like to compare this razor to my others. Sadly, last night the HD ate all my other DEs. This morning it melted all the Bakelite on my Injectors and ripped the heads off of my other SE razors. I just found 4 Gillette adjuster dials stuck in the garburator :blink:
I keep my single ring Old locked up.

Overall a great razor. Slight flaws in the finish, but only if you look close. The two-piece design is the best made IMHO. A less bulky head than a TTO and easier to use than a 3 piece. This razor is also a little more aggressive than other new razors, which is nice. You can also control the aggression by using less aggressive blades.

Simply a quality product, all the way from design to performance. :thumbup1:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
There really isn't much else to say that hasn't already been said. There is a reason why this is one of the few 'go-to' modern razors. It's cost effective, relatively easy to find and it just works. This razor is a fantastic first razor, and I've been finding it hard to come up with a reason to switch away from it.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
the first DE I've ever bought. after shaving with a Fatboy, a Flare Tip & a Single Ring, I always go back to the Merkur HD. it's still the closest, most satisfying shave I can get with the least amount of irritation. no QC issues with mine. it's 6 months old and looks brand new.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
First and only DE. It is not adjustable, which I like because it takes some of the variables out of shaving. I have been using it for 1.5 years now, and have no reason to purchase any other DE- I simply enjoy this one too much. I can get a good, irritation free shave with this with 1 WTG pass!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is a pure classic. If you don't need adjustable, this one might be one of the best choices available!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The bottom half of this razor is actually very good and solid. But the material used to coat the head at top is cheap and chips off easily, like tinsel. It is hard to believe that Merkur allows such a shoddy finish. I tried two and both began to lose their silver coat on the top after a month or so. I went on to a Futur, and that has the scariest blade replacement system I have ever seen. My poor experiences with Merkur made me go to vintage Gillette adjustable razors---solid, virtually indestructible tools. There is no comparison between the solid construction and craft of the vintage Gillettes and these poorly made Merkurs. The Gillette butterfly blade replacement mechanism cannot be beat. You can obtain the Gillette very reasonably on ebay. Clean and sterilize it and you have a razor for life. Don't waste money on a Merkur.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
It is a great everyday razor for both the experienced and new wet shaver. I use it on the days where I don't need a super close shave (thats when I reach for my 37c Slant Bar). Great, high quality razor that will last beyond my lifetime and very aesthetically pleasing with the design and craftsmanship.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Do i need to say more?
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
i have the barber pole version of this razor, and it has worked wondefully. it is my first de razor, so i guess this is compared to a cartridge razor, but i still think it is an awesome razor. the regular hd might be a bit short for people with big hands, the barber pole is perfect for me. don't think, just buy :)
I love this razor which i bought from a b&b member sometime last year and have been using now for a month and i cant put it down for another razor, the razor i bought was in mint condition and it feels solid and a classy tool, the grip is first rate even when your fingers have some pre shave oil on them, nothing complcated about this razor either, unscrew the bottom, pull off the top, put in blade, rescrew and shave and although its quite a heavy razor i would not say its over aggressive but it gives a lovely close shave while feeling solid in your hand and every blade i have put in the razor gives me a great shave, also great for a newbie as it is one of those razors that feel safe in your hands, since my 2nd go of de shaving began last year and also my collection of vintage razors kicked in out of all i have so far tried this to me is the best and i would be happy to use this razor forever, grab 1 if you can.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
After two years now, this is still my daily razor. I have tried the slant HD, and gillette SS red tip and they don't hold a candle to this baby. It gets everywhere on my face.

The aggressiveness perfect for me. I can feel the blade on my face, which gives good feedback to the razor angle, but isn't so aggressive that I constantly nick myself.

Paired with feather blades, this razor is the one.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I love my HD - its a fine piece of machinery! :w00t:

Price - Here in Australia its a bit more pricey - even when you order from overseas the shipping makes it about $10-15 more than for a US buyer. Its not expensive but its not cheap either!

Quality - As soon as you pick up the HD you know its a brilliant piece. I know some guys have found inconsistencies between some HDs and fair enough, I'm sure not every razor is perfect or identical to its neighbour. Mine is fantastic, and its very well built!

User Friendly - Very easy to use, but blade replacement could be easier.

Grip - Brilliant. It won't slip when your hands are wet or covered in shaving cream unless you are flapping your arms about like a wild seagull.

Ease of Blade Replacement - Not as easy as a TTO, but by no means a challenge! Just make sure you pick the blade up from the shorter ends, rather than from the long sharper ends!

Aggressiveness - Compared to my J1 ('64) SS its quite aggressive. But if you keep the pressure off, it will work like a charm.

Adjustability - If you can adjust yours, you might have a problem!

Balance - This is where the HD shines! It is IMO exceptionally weighted, with a quality heft to the handle and head. The balance is awsome and as a result, the head of the razor does all the work, gliding through stubble like the proverbial hot knife! With a version with a slightly longer handle, there is something for most lads here.

The HD is a great razor, very high quality and provides an exceptional shave once you get to know it.

I use the HD with Astra SPs or Derbys. With either of these blades I find the HD provides me with a very smooth, gentle and close shave :biggrin:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I have been using Merkur HD 34C since I started using a safety razor 3 months ago. It has been a pleasure most of the time. The razor has a good grip and balance, and it is easy to replace blades. It is not so agressive, I gave it a 6, and I use it with a feather blade! But everyone has different skin.... All in all a beautiful well made razor, that is a real contender:001_smile
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
LondonCalling;112941 said:
Many people advise buying this as your first DE razor. However if you enjoy buying razors I'd suggest you get it last, as it will be difficult to justify buying anything else after you've got one.

It really does everything you could want from a razor: it's hard to see why everyone doesn't have one. You feel like buying handfuls and handing them out at random.

This just about sums it up. I love mine.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)