What's new

Merkur Futur

I got a new Futur for Christmas last year and I couldn't be happier. I've been using it every day I shave since I opened the box. I know everyone has their own opinion and there has been a lot of controversy about this razor but I just love mine.

Price: I thought it was fair for a new adjustable razor. Granted, you can get vintage cheaper but I believe I got what I paid for.

Quality: Great. Merkur makes great razors and I've found few QC issues with any of thier products.

User Friendly: It's pretty darn easy to use. Pop off the top. Lay in a blade. Pop the top back on. Adjust the aggressiveness. Shave.

Grip: Now this sucks. It really kind of sucks. You have to be careful because there's a little notch for you thumb and finger while holding it but even that is smooth. I don't drop mine very often but I have dropped it because of the grip.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Pop top off. Put Blade in. Put top back on. Easy.

Aggressiveness: 10/10 because of the great adjustability. You can set the aggressiveness to whatever you want.

Adjustability: I'm a 3 man myself but there is a solid adjustment range with something for everyone.

Balance: Only average on this. It's a heavy razor and it's more back weighted. With the grip, this aspect could still use some improvement.

A couple of drawbacks but still a great shaver.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Merkur is a German maker of razors, with all that implies. For the most part their razors are well engineered and well made. That applies to the Futur, but I have a feeling there was a dialog that went something like this;

Deiter; Hans, we have two adjustable razors, the Progress and the Vision. The Vision - ach! That is German engineering at it's finest. But the Progress - simple, inexpensive to make, should last forever, gets the job done. But it's crude and just good enough. Where is the soul in that? Mein Gott! It's like something an American would design!

(Note - I am an American engineer :biggrin: )

Hans; But Deiter! We don't have the budget for another Vision! Perhaps we could make something between the Progress and Vision, taking a bit of both and add something new? Something distinct from both, but less expensive than the Vision?

Deiter; Ja! Ja! That's the ticket!

And so the Futur was born.

Let's get one thing out of the way. Much has been made of how dangerous it is to change blades in the Futur. Baloney. If you can change blades in a two or three piece Gillette, you can change blades in the Futur without bleeding to death. You have to remember that razor blades are sharp. Even a "dull" blade is sharp.

The head pops off the razor with an upward push of the thumb - one side of the blade cover/holder has a ridge on it to facilitate this. Pop it off and replace just like a two piece razor. Snap it back on and you're done. Unlike the Progress you retain whatever setting you had, if that is important to you. It doesn't matter to me, because I can remember that I have my Progress set to 2 1/2 easily enough, and it returns to those settings exactly if you simply set it there. My Futur snaps together firmly and holds the blade tightly. This is where the bean counters came in by the way. The razor is likely a Vision without the silo doors in terms of adjusting mechanism, but simplified by omitting the twist to open feature. But since the adjustment mechanism takes up the space in the handle there is no room for a traditional top piece threaded shaft, and so they had to make the top piece clip on. Simple, but whether it will work over the long haul is open to question. It should if the materials used are correct. and I'm betting they are.

The adjustment mechanism, unlike the Progress, is smooth and solid. It retains it's setting well in use, yet is easy to change. There are no click steps.

The finish looks bead blasted and I have no problems holding on to the razor, even wet. It is quite heavy and the head is large. Even so I can get under my nose, although it's not as easy as it is with my very low profile head Tech.

OK, how does it shave? Very well indeed. I was able to get a BBS shave out of this on a setting of 2, with fewer passes than with any of my fixed head Gillettes, and more comfortably than with my slim adjustable. I am even as I type running my hand over my cheeks, marveling at how close my shave this morning was.

The razor can get scary if you open it way up. I did that, looked at it and said nope. No way am I letting THAT get near me opened up that much. I like my face attached, thanks.

So all in all the Futur is a very good razor. I am honestly not too fond of it since it seems overlarge. But it works well, shaves smoothly and is as safe to use as any other razor with the usual caveats.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is my second DE, so I can only compare it to my Merkur HD. It's a bit of love-hate relationship I have with my Futur. Sometimes I revert back to the HD for the ease of use, but the Futur does give me a closer shave. That said, I need to pay alot more attention to my technique and speed or I'll cut/burn myself.

I can finish shaving with the HD a few minutes earlier, which is nice. But most of the time I just want the best shave I can give myself. The Futur does that perfectly. I start out agressive (for me: setting 3-4) and for the advanced shaving techniques (blade buffing mainly) I use 1-2. Zero irritation, zero bumps and a very close shave this way.

The grip on the slick handle is adequate, but not perfect. When I grab it by the balance point I find the balance is perfect and the grip is good enough that I feel confident I won't drop it in the sink.

There is one design flaw I'd like to point out. The bottom side of the head doesn't drain out the water very well. After rinsing the lather/hairs of the head, sometimes I splash myself (or the bowl of lather) with some water. This head really needs a shake after rinsing.

Wether I use the Futur or the HD, it's a piece of beauty. And I have the goldplated version. Stunning.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is the first DE I have owned since I changed over to a cartridge type unit while I was a freshman in college in 1970. I have been unhappy with my shaving routine for some time now but just could not put my finger on why.

This weekend I was sitting on the sofa with my laptop wandering around the net looking for a birthday present for my grandson. He's going to be seven. Its important that everyone knows that, because at seven "I'm not your little man Grandpa, I am almost grown up". Somehow I hit a shaving page that had a article on wet shaving. Twenty (20) minutes later I had ordered a Merkur Futur, some Feather blades, a badger brush, and shaving soap. I knew I had my Old Spice shaving mug from high school days in the closet somewhere.

The next six days were spent in agony. My lovely wife could never know the costs involved for the shaver. Minimal, we all agreed, but viewed in conjunction with blades sharp enough to perform surgery with, helpless animals killed for their hair, Well, you can just see where this could go.

I tracked the packages with the intensity of the CIA. Went home everyday to see if anything had arrived. As stuff was delivered I slowly set an item out by my sink in the bathroom. I knew that the big items had to be first. On Tuesday it was the mug I had dug out of a box in the garage. On Wednesday it was brush that had arrived at noon. The razor and blades arrived Thursday and I hid them in my drawer by the sink. No comment from my princess.

You think Santa was on the way, I could hardly sleep at all Thursday night. Got up at my normal 5:30, might as well wasn't sleeping anyway, and started coffee. Eased in to the bathroom and shut the door. Started the hot water, threw a face towel into the sink, laded my new brush under the stream of hot water, and got out the Merkur. Now, I had not found this site till this afternoon so I had not had the opportunity to read anyone's commits.

The Futur is an impressive piece of equipment. I had no trouble loading the blade. It seemed very straight forward to me. Pop the top off and set the blade. Since it had been so long since I had used a DE I set the adjustment at 2. Took my hot towel out of the sink and massaged my face for a few minutes. Started feeling the love come back into my day. Flicked the excess water out of my brush and started building lather. What's that, humming, do I here humming in the bathroom. Worked the lather into my face and knew, right then, what was wrong with my day. At that point, right then and there, I realized that we all have to have some time each day when it has to be about me. THIS IS IT!

Held the razor under the hot water for a few moments and started to shave. I had always held a razor with my little finger under the end of the handle so I didn't have any problem with holding the Futur. The shave was smooth and close. I didn't nick myself, much to my own surprise. Just spent time doing something for me. Cleaned my razor off under the water. Cleaned my brush. Looked in the mirror and Knew it was going the be a great morning.

I would recommend the razor. I believe that a setting on 1 would work for someone who is learning to use a DE just fine. I will set up to three tomorrow and probability leave it there as I think that would be right for me. Lets remember, shaving in the morning is about ME and should be about you.

Yes, I did leave the razor out when I left the house this morning. Oh that, Darling I went back to shaving with a real razor weeks ago. Lets go see a movie.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is a samurai sword if correctly handled!!

Price: German quality, made to last, nice craftmanshift, excellent cast steel...all those things are in the price

Quality: as above

User Friendly: Yes

Grip: if you are used to the HD or 23C handle (whose texture drains the water) of course you will find this a little bit slippery. The handle have a small depression to accomodate the fingers as you can see trying to solve this minor objection.

Blade replacement: i don't understand all the fuss about this point...click..it's done!! Just pick the blades as you do with all DE razors...two fingers on the non-sharpen extremes of course!!

Agressiveness: i don't now about your own personal preferences but for me the # 3 works quite well, it will be agressive, in my case, at #6 it's why i never use it

Adjust. as above

Balance: when you pick it for the first time...Whoa..what is this!? Heftier than a HD you will get some days to handle it with precision, but after that well...the height will helps you to have the best shave of your life.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
A bit of my shaving history. I've been using DE razors (Black Handle Gillette SS) for a while to shave my head. This is due to the ease with which they can be cleaned and shaving aggressiveness. Unfortunately every time I tried using the SS on my face (yes, I changed the razor ...) it was a painful experience. Whether I applied pressure or not, angled it up or down, it would give me massive irritation and feel like grating sand paper.

I decided to purchase a Futur after reading the reviews on this site. After my first shave, all I could say was WOW. I put it on setting 1 and used the same amount of pressure that I use with my BIC single disposables. The thing glided effortlessly across my face. With barely a practice run I received a nice close pain free shave. I remember leaving the shower thinking "So thats what a good DE shave feels like ...". I still use the SS on my head, but the Futur is only thing that touches my face.

Price - $50 - 60. Worth it.

Quality - The thing is built like a tank and with no moving parts of note, I can see my kids shaving with it after they pry it from my cold dead hands.

User Friendly - Pop the top, put a razor in, set it on 1 or 2 for starters and start shaving. The only tricky part is learning / trying to get it to navigate the upper lip.

Grip - I wish the grip had a slight amount of texture to it. Even with that small gripe, the razor has never slid from my hand.

Ease of Blade Replacement - Duh.

Aggressiveness - 1 or 2 with the pressure I use is perfect. Considering how much it can be dialed up, how aggressive (or not) the shave is, is up to you.

Adjustability - It adjusts without any clicks. If you want to set it to 1.5, you can.

Balance - Considering its size and heft, its a pretty well balanced blade.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Each time I prepare to use this razor, I am reminded of Jules and his wallet in Pulp Fiction. Indeed, if razors had wallets, that is the one this one would have. So drop in a Feather, steady your hand and dial it in, this bad boy is going to give you one heck of a shave.

Having said that, this is not a razor for beginners. Because it can shave so close, there is considerable blade exposure. Let your mind wander and you will get bitten.

Price: Quite a bit more than some of Merkur's other offerings and competitive with prices vintage Gillettes are fetching on EBay. Considering the razors quality, the price is spot on.

Quality: Built like a tank, given proper care, this razor will outlast you. Moreover, its slick minimalist design quietly oozes competence and efficiency.

User Friendly: I suppose user friendliness depends on who you are. Are you a newb with little wet shaving experience? If so, you might find this razor terribly unfriendly. However, those with some experience will find that this razor will work wonders in their hands.

Grip: Perhaps one who shaves with lather all over their hands would view the smooth grip a substantial flaw. Rinse the lather off.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Doesn't get easier. Pop off the top, drop in a new blade and clip the top back on.

Aggressiveness: Dialed to its maximum setting, something I have never needed to do, this razor would be a mighty aggressive.

Adjustability: It adjusts. Unlike some other adjustables, the Futur does not click into place, so you can tune it just to your liking.

Balance: Make no mistake, comparatively, this is a heavy well, balanced razor.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
There's something about this razor that attracts newB's. I was as guilty as any other.

Most of what's been written here doesn't need repeating. The Futur IS a well-built fairly heavy, oddly balanced razor. It doesn't give you any help while changing blades, but you don't need to be a heart surgeon to get it to work either.

I've had some very nice shaves, and I've had some poor ones, usually having to do with the weight of the razor, and it's lack of manoueverability in tight spots (under my nose, the cleft of my chin, etc.).

I fell in love with the Futur early in my W/S experience, and that just gave me an opportunity to meet the other Merkur razors. At the moment I'm better acquainted with the Classic, and am looking forward to trying the HD.

One puzzling thing. Most posters talk about how heavy the Futur it is (a good thing, in their view). Yet I find that the way the handle is designed, I always end up gripping it only half way down, thereby missing the benefit of the greater weight. The way this razor is designed, one is guided to grip it in a way that half of the weight of the razor is balanced by the fulcrum of the lever, so to speak. Why have a heavy razor where you ignore half the handle?

Anyway, one could do worse than the Futur. I'm sure the Classic is a better, more finely handled tool. I suspect the HD will be even better - but many others here have commented on that.

The heft of the Futur is overrated, IMHO, but it's still a nice razor.

Paul
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I am new to DE and this is my first razor and I have to say that I love it. The ease of blade replacement is not bad at all. Just flick each end with your thumb. The weight of it is great. I feel like I really have something in my hands. I have not tried adjusting it yet so I cannot say anything about that.All I can say is now all the smaller razors will feel like nothing in my hands. I do not think I can go backwards. It does get a little slippery if you have soap on your hands but all you need is to rinse it off under the tap.A great razor. I don't think I will need any other. Why?
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I have said it after every time I have used this razor so now it is time to memorialize once and for all. This is an outstanding razor. My first DE actually. Since then I have acquired probably 15 or so razors. So while I was on "The Road To Find Out" this razor was utilized less and less while I was off with the Fatboy or the Slimboy (damn, that just sounds wrong), the Slants and SS's, long handles, short handles.

But every once in awhile I would go back home to the Futur. My first. The price is right considering what you get compared to what some of the Gillettes get. The quality of a Merkur razor is top notch bar none. Alot is said about its razor being too big or the blade replacement being difficult. Familiarize yourself with its characteristics and they will be become second nature, just like turning the TTO razors or taking apart a three-piece. Aggressive gets a 10 because you can get as aggressive or non-aggressive as you like. 2.5 to 3 seems to do it for me. Adjustability gets a 10 because in the 4 settings provided, each one will be substantial from the next.

And the balance of the razor is perfection. It takes some getting used to. Some feel it is top heavy. I find that the proper angle allows for a perfect balance of this razor. I just finished 3 straight days of shaving with this razor (using a Treet Blue) and I know that this razor will always be in the rotation. If there is any room for improvement it is the grip. Although I have never experienced any difficulty with the smooth grip, certainly some sort of textured handle would provide a better grip.

If you are considering a Futur and are hesitating, don't. It is a great shaver.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I love the Futur. I have found it easy to use and it gives me great shaves. The Futur is my first DE, so I am obviously a little biased. I would recommend it for anyone.

Price: It is a little pricier than other razors, but it is also a new adjustable and did not seem to far out of line.
Quality: It seems to be indestructible and is easy to maintain. All of the parts fit together well and it shaves the same way on both sides.
Friendliness: The only problem I have had with it is that the head is fairly large, but this didn't take long to get used to.
Grip: I have the satin finish and have had NO problems with the grip, wet, soapy, or otherwise. Maybe this is because of the satin finish since others have reported problems. I hold it at the very end of the handle and let the Futur do my work for me.
Blade replacement: I found blade replacement to be simple. One side of the head has a lip. Pop that side off, pop the other side off, dispose of blade.
Aggressiveness: The adjustability means that this razor has a wide range of aggressiveness.
Adjustability: Not only is it adjustable, it is infinitely adjustable since there are no click stops.
Balance: The balance and weight is superb.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I found this razor too heavy, bulky head, poor grip, dangerous as far as blade replacement and adjustment. When I shaved ATG using several combinations of blades and creams/soaps, it always skipped or stuttered, leaving razor burn. I hate this razor. I really gave it a chance for about 3 weeks, but I'm going back to my Merkur Slant.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
Takes a bit of getting used to but this thing mows your face brilliantly. IT was pricey at 52 euro but everything over here is! Quality is also an issue, especially at the snap-on cap. Maybe I got a badly milled model but there seems to be inconsistency in the thickness of the metal in that region, however, it doesn't impact on the overall performance. I wouldn't call it the easiest to use because of the learning curve involved but once you figure it out you'll be as hairless as a waxed scandanavian lovely (but probably not as blonde) with no hassle at all. The much maligned cap provides no obstacle to blade replacement once you realise that it can be flipped up from the side using a thumb and the grip is fine once you hold it by the waist (cheers leisureguy!). It's aggressive enough for me on 2.5 and that's all I'll say about that and the range of adjustment is such that this will never become a problem. Once you begin to hold it by the waist, the balance is perfect and it works wonderfully with the Swedish gillettes. Great razor!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I'm a noob regarding wetshaving with a DE blade. I've been using a Parker 78 and a 1930's Gillette Tech I got off e-bay for about a month or so. I really like the Tech, but found myself getting irritated when I had to make 4 or more passes to get BBS.

The Futur arrived for my birthday this week, and I am floored at how smooth and easy it shaves. I've been using an Isreali Personna in it. The Tech requires 3-4 passes to accomplish what the Futur accomplishes in 2 passes. I also find that I respect the weight of the Futur and I am therefore more careful when I shave. Therefore, I don't get the same razor burn as when I when I use the Tech and the Parker. Even set on 3, I've had no nicks or cuts.

The design and engineering are top notch. The top pops off easily for blade access. I don't particularly find it to be dangerous as others have mentioned. Of course, one must respect any DE razor when changing the blades.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This was my first DE razor that I started to properly wet shave with about five years ago after switching from a Mach 3. It seems I tried just about everything, slant, HD, and a vintage Gillette always returning to the Futur.

This razor shaves very close and comfortably. It did take some time getting used to but once that is accomplished it's amazing!:thumbup: Of course I'll try other razors but my heart and first pick will forever be the Futur.

P.S. For those who read these reviews in order to make a purchase decision, don't pass up this razor due to the negative comments made by other members, just buy and enjoy!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I've tried over 20 DE razors, and based purely on shave quality alone, the Futur is the BEST I've used. There's something about this razor that makes the blade much more...assertive. There is absolutely no blade chatter and it makes the blade feel almost thicker, in a very good way. I'm able to plow right through some tricky patches that otherwise require many more tentative passes. This razor has greatly simplified the requirements of my beard.

The heft of the Futur could be somewhat tricky for a new DE user. I find that not only is zero pressure required, but some negative pressure helps with the hefty head.

I have no problems with the head design at all. Sure it's wider than a lot, but I don't understand how that is a drawback unless you use the corners of the blade...which I don't. I get under my nose and around my ears just as well with any other razor I've used.

As to looks, one of the best. I like the modern design, which adds a nice contrast to all my other old-world razors.

Love the handle design as it's heavier than some while maintaining a slim profile. I've always prefered the Merkur Classic to the HD due to the handle being slimmer, but have wished for a little more weight in the handle. The Futur has it. Sure it could be slipery with wet/soapy hands, but I typically don't get water on my hands when shaving/lathering (except for rinsing).

Now, yes, there is one thing I'd change about the design...the requirement to hold the razor head while adjusting. This isn't that big of a drawback for me because once I find the setting I like, I don't change it. I don't buy into changing it during the shave, so no wet/soapy hands while adjusting the razor for me. However, I know others don't necessarily have the same use patterns, and can see how this design would be a slight drawback.

I've been through most of the Gillette adjustables and never found one that actually did anything for me. I've long prefered fixed head razors. This Futur has changed my mind...not because of the ability to change agrresiveness, but because it's just a flat-out top-of-the-line performer.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I am a newbie, and the first DE razor I got was a Futur. I thought I had an awesome razor, until I read all those negative reviews. After catching my breath, I analyzed each point raised and found that they were not valid, at least not for me. I didn't have any problems with changing the blades. If one is only half as careful as with shaving itself, there should be no problem whatsoever. I don't see how one can cut oneself. The only other razor I have is a Merkur travel razor, and I find changing the blade on that one a whole lot more dangerous. Also, changing the setting is a snap. I either put the head down on a flat surface, thus using that for leverage, or use a towel to hold the head, but most often I simply hold the handle just underneath the head. Finally, my grip has also never slipped. The edges at the indentation provide plenty of grip. The only (minor) problem I have is that it requires a bit more manoevering near the ears and below the nose, because of the rather bulky head assembly. In any case, the Futur works great for this newbie!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is a serious razor. Loaded with a Feather blade, it will give straight razor shaves. Adjust this razor to what's comfortable for your skin, and you're all set. Be aware, pay attention to what you're doing, and it will perform to the highest standards. I may cause an uproar with what I'm about to write, but please don't pay attention to the people who write the same old overblown, tired to hear, so called negatives about this razor. Changing the blades isn't dangerous, it's a snap to do, and better than the butter fly type razors. The blade stays well positioned and stable. Adjusting is easy. The best dumb *** negative I have heard is the grip. Hold the razor like any other and it won't slip out of your hands. It's perfectly balanced. As with any razor, be mindful of what you're doing. If I listended to the people who kept writing the same old negatives about this razor, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to shave with this shaving machine.This razor is recommended to a newbie and an experienced DE user.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
If you need an aggresive razor for your tough beard, you should try it with a Feather. The finish on mine started flaking off in places, so I will be sending it back (I imagine a bad one got through). Still, it certainly is a pretty piece. I've got the shiney chrome finish.

I like to reserve this razor for days when I want a BBS shave. Put it somewhere between 1.5 and 3 and you can achieve this easily. No need to go higher than that, as the adjustments DON'T COMPARE at all to GILLETTES. A "1" on the Futur is equal to about a "3" or "4" on a Gillette Adjustable.

The razor is heavy, and I've found that holding it at its waist (which is rather high up the handle) is best, as this is the razor's center of balance. Think of the bulky, slippery handle at the bottom as this razor's "counter-weight".

Don't be afraid of the blade changing mechanism. Just flip up one side at a time and there's no more danger than any other razor.

Be careful with this guy, and he'll treat you right. The closest shaves I've ever gotten were the Futur/Feather combo. Even better if you can learn to do the "Gillette Slide" with this one, and it'll slice right through with no problems!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
As with most of the people in this list i share the same loves and not-loves :rolleyes: of the Merkur Futur.
It's my first razor and i have tried everything from Merkur blades right through Feathers.
I like the fact it's weighty, but the slippery mid-shave grip and bulky head can sometimes turn the weight into a foe instead of friend.

Let me ad that shavign East-West with such a bulky head is difficult to do with this. Shaving by the ear is always an adventure.

If i were to do it again i think id start with the Merkur HD. As a newbie, sometimes too many options with the adjustment aren't a good thing. I tend to keep this on "1" to try out new blades in order to get a reliable "facemark" score for each blade.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)