What's new

Merkur Futur

After using an Atra with a silver Reed & Barton handle for many years and a Plisson badger brush with Crabtree & Evelyn soaps, I bought a Rooney in super and T & H soaps. Then I visited this and other forums and it all started. Soon after followed a 40'ss, a Fat Boy, and Aristocrat and then the Futur. When the Futur arrived I put it on 1 thanks to some good advise and someone sent Bleue blades with yet another brush I bought as I have a serious case of SBAD. The Futur can be bought in this and other forums at quite a discount and is a bargain, used.

From putting the blade in and having the cap snap in place to the popping of the whiskers, it was sensational. I even bought a second one for travel in the car since I do not want and rarely check luggage for airline travel. The Futur is at 1.5 now and the Shark blades suit me well. I do not fiddle with nor change the setting like some so the adjusting is not a problem. It may be interesting to go to 2.5 setting like some have done. I do have a Cobra if an experience like straights/cutthroats is needed. That is a serious razor and aggressive to the far reaches.

My experience is outstanding with the Futur and I think it will stand the test of time so that it becomes a gift in the "future" much as the Fat Boys are now.:thumbup:
I have been absolutely loving using this razor. I started out with and was using a Merkur HD for my first two months of wet shaving. It worked well, but often left a bit of irritation on my neck. I figured an adjustable might fix that problem, and picked a Futur over the Progress as the Futur's adjustments are always the same. I use this razor by progressively lowering the aggressiveness during my shave. I start out WTG with a 2.5 or 3, drop to a 2 on XTG and finish off with a 1.5. This has freed me of any irritation whatsoever. OK, on to the review:

Price: Currently somewhere in the $60 range. I consider this to be a decent deal for a new adjustable DE. Not the best, but still reasonable.

Quality: Quite good so far. There were a couple small blemishes on the razor when it came, but nothing that warranted a return. The matte finish on mine looks great. The adjustment mechanism works fine.

User Friendly: Not terrible, but form won out a bit over function here. Also, as with others I need to do some more work right under my nose. I find that I can get the whole area WTG if I contort my face and nose a bit. Really, these are minor annoyances.

Grip: This seems to be an area of contention. I personally haven't had a problem with the matte finish on mine. If some soap gets on my hands, the razor is a little slippery but a quick rinse under the tap rectifies that. I haven't ever dropped this razor. Some people don't like the way that this razor adjusts, but I haven't felt unsafe while adjusting it. In the end though, if you like a knurled handle with amazing grip you probably won't enjoy using the Futur.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Changing blades is different on this razor than most others, and while it's not particularly hard it's not the safest way I've seen either. If you try to switch the blades when the razor is wet, the blade can stick to the cap and you have to get it off. I find that two-piece razors are a tad easier to switch.

Aggressiveness: I haven't actually tried shaving with this thing all the way open, but it's as aggressive as you need it to be. It's also as mild as you need it to be.

Adjustability: Yep. As I said earlier, some have problems with the way you adjust this razor but I have no qualms here.

Balance: This razor is quite hefty. I was surprised how much heavier it was than my HD. I enjoy the heft and the balance is great as well.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Let me get this out of the way: I have a coarse, wiry, medium heavy beard. I have used/owned at least ten razors.

I am one of the many guys that didn't get the Futur because of the many negative reviews. Some of the negative reviews are inaccurate and borderline irresponsible.

The razor is a bit pricey but I consider this razor a RAD killer. This, along with the Gillette Slim are the only adjustable razors that I'd recommend for a Newbie.

This is a high quality, well made, user friendly razor. If you can screw on a light bulb, then you'll be fine. Blade placement is as quick a TTO. Another reviewer mentioned that the Futur holds the blade securely, there's no play and that I think that makes a difference while shaving. The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 in the user friendly category is because it takes me a few seconds longer to shave under my nose.

If I read another person whining about the grip, I think I'll lose my mind. The razor is meant to be held at the waistline, thus the design (look at a picture of the Futur for my obvious point). It has never slipped out of my hands during a shave and I don't dry my hands so they're always wet when I'm shaving.

Ease of Blade Replacement can't get easier, as mentioned above.

It's very mild on the setting of "1" and very aggressive on the setting of "6". I have it at 6 because it makes it easier to find the right angle and it sounds so great, so loud at that setting that it makes the shaving experience a very satisfying one. It sounds like a straight razor to my ears.

The razor has great balance and it is heavy. It actually feels heavier than my Merkur 39C aka the Sledgehammer. It feels great in my hand.

My previous Merkur adjustable was the Progress and we didn't get along so I sold it. I have also reviewed the Progress (and the 23C).

I rate harshly, and I don't like all Merkur razors but I love this one. As of now this razor has surpassed the Gillette Slim and Red Tip and is tied at the number one spot as my favorite razor along with the Merkur Slants. :001_smile
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The grip can be improved..Bob has done his magic on my Futur..See Futur handle slipping post # 35 Should be back in my hands next week..Looks AMAZING !!!!!
Why did I not start with this razor? I ordered a different larger Merkur adjustable...bigger is better right? Not in this case. But don't get me wrong, the Futur is a substantial razor. ANd that is one of the things I like best about it. To get a proper DE shave without the burn you should let the razor do the work...and this razor has the weight to do it.

Price: It is a little on the high side at $60.95. However, for that you get a well designed razor that shaves me to a BBS without fail on the part of the razor...YMMV. When compared to a Pils, Vision, or Feather All Stainless this razor is value priced and gives me a superior shave to those three.

Quality: I was a little scared to order this razor. I had a Vision that was returned for quality issues. The second one had even greater problems so I sold it as junked. The quality on my Futur is far superior to the Vision I had. The only thing that time will tell about is the spring closure on the head. I wonder how long it will last?

User Friendly: I have heard people trash this razor because they say it is hard to adjust the razor with a blade loaded and not remove a few phalanges. I even saw a pic posted of a guy who sliced his finger and thumb open with it. Come on people, you are using a razor! If you have half a brain and use common sense there is no problem. Blade change could not be easier! Pop the top on the notched side, remove the used blade, insert the new, replace top and shave away.

Grip: This is the only downside I have found so far...and it is a user issue. You should not have a problem gripping the razor as long as your hands are dry. However, we are wet shavers. It would be nice for the Merkur designers to figure a way to texture the handle while retaining the design aesthetic. It really should be on display at MOMA.

Ease of Blade Replacement: As I said in UF above...easy!

Aggressiveness: How aggressive do you want it? I suppose you could put in a Feather and dial it all the way open...but you should be board certified in cosmetic surgery before you do. THis one can go from mild to wild. It may take a few shave, but any shaver should be able to find his sweet spot.

Adjustability: Could not be simpler! Just don't hold it by the blade and you are fine.

Balance: As I said in my intro, I like a heavy razor. This one does have the heft, but a nice balance as well. It does seem to be head heavy, but that is just what I want.

This really is a nice razor. I have had far superior shaves with this one than any other I have used. Is it for everyone, probably not. Do opinions vary...of course, but you know what they say about opinions. If you haven't tried one I think it is worth it. If you don't like it, well it probably wouldn't last long on BST.

FYI - I use Iridium Supers in mine.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I almost bought the Merkur Futur when I first started wetshaving a year ago but decided not to because of all the negative comments here. The worst part..... I went a year without it.

I was recently introduced to this razor by a co-worker who let me give this bad boy a test drive. I knew I would like it as soon as I had it in my hand. I have since purchased the matte finished version from QED with the Merkur leather pouch which is a perfect fit. I have used various razors over the last year or so and can say without a doubt this is my favorite razor by far. I first started with some vintage razors which were nice but I wanted to try something else. I then traded a restored Simpson's Butterscotch for a Cooncatbob Bull Mastiff which I absolutely loved but sold it so I could afford the Futur. I have been using an Edwin Jagger DE89 which also provides some great shaves. The DE89 was my first experience with a longer handle and has been my daily razor for several months now. I'll be hanging onto my DE89 but can honestly say it won't be getting much use now that I have the Futur.

The weight and balance of this razor are my favorite characteristics next to the looks. All this talk about the design flaws are rubbish. The grip is fine as long as you keep your hand and you're razor dry. Not sure where people are running into problems with the blade exchange. Changing the blade on this thing is a breeze and much easier than a 3 piece. The overall construction on this beauty is much better quality than the HD which I also used to use. Changing the setting on this razor is effortless and smooth.

This razor is perfect for a guy who just started wetshaving or a well seasoned veteran. If you have any doubts just go for it, you won't regret it. :thumbup:
If a razor was sent back from the futur by machines, it would be the Merkur Futur.

Sleek, competent, and deadly. This razor is the liquid metal of razors.

it will do what you want it to. The Merkur Progress is the T-100 razor that adjust to human emotion. I love both razors. I get a good shave from the futur , while getting a great shave from Progress. I would compare the two razors to the movie Terminator 2. The Progress being Arnold and ultimately winning in the end.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The Merkur Futur has been my razor of choice for the last 5+ years.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Price: found on amazon for $55 including 10 Merkur blades! can't beat that with a stick! (don't really like the Merkur blades though - switched to Derby's)

Quality: Extremely well built!

User Friendly: While some say the top is dangerous, I think it is very practical. It has a lip which helps for an easy blade change. don't really see what everyone's making the fuss about.

Grip: Could be better, but I haven't had a problem yet. Keep your hands semi-dry and it won't be a problem.

Blade replacement: See above! I don't have a problem with the top at all. It's very quick to change blades. The head clamps down tight and the blade is always straight.

Aggressiveness: It does whatever you want it to! It opens up really wide or narrow. I haven't gone for the higher settings yet. It looks like it could take your face off! Maybe once my skills are better.

Adjustability: Could have made it a little easier to turn. Make sure to dry hands if adjusting mid shave!

Balance: Perfect!
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Like so many others I have nothing but praise for this razor. From build quality to actual use. Not too big not too small just right. Does what its meant to do shave not just look pretty.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I've got nothing but praise for this beauty. I shave everyday with it and performs very well... plus it's eye candy.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Futur Satin Purchase in Jan-2009 from one of our online friends for $55. I have used Feathers, Derbys, Astra Platinums, Gillette Swedes, Merkur, and Personna blades. I have settled on the Astras working best with this razor.

After a year of owning a satin Futur, and comparing it to a Merkur Slant, HD, Gillette Slim Adjustable, a few Gillette Techs, and a Gillette Red Tip, I found that my Futur gives me the best shaves.

Price: I paid about $50 last year for a new Futur. This is not inexpensive, but so far I think it is a fair price. As I have not had finish or function problems the material and design seem to do what they are supposed to, no complaints.

Quality:The razor shows no signs of wear or corrosion. I do worry a bit about the spring mechansim that holds the blade and top piece in place, but since they work flawlessly, I can't complain. The adjust spins easily when pushed, but stays in place otherwise.

User friendly: It took me a few minutes of playing with the top piece to learn how much pressure is needed to remove it. I now put my thumb under one side and push up until it is released from the spring and then do the same for the other side. After it is loose, I remove it by grabbing the ends with my index finger and thumb and then lifting straight up. That said, I do not like to change blades or adjust the razor with wet hands. I can see the danger of grabbing the head while a blade is in place, and then trying to twist. Paying attention to what I am doing is a requirement.

Grip: The grip is adequate and does not slip in my hand. It would be better with a knurled handle or something else to increase the friction, but I have adjusted my grip so that the razor is secure and comfortable. It may help that the thing is so heavy that I don't need to pull on the handle, I just lay it on my face and let gravity to most of the work.

Ease of blade replacement: After my quick practice, the blades are a breeze to replace.

Aggressiveness: I have found my perfect razor. No razor, including my Red Tip or Slant could get my face as smooth. I could never shave with the Red Tip without some amount of soreness or redness. The Slant worked better than the Red Tip for me, but it just took so much more work to get the same shave as my Futur. I set the Futur on 6 and leave it.

Adjust-ability: The range of adjust-ability is large. It is not as easy as a Gillette Adjustable, because you have to rotate the entire head instead of just the the ring, but I deducted a few points above in the User Friendly score.

Balance: The weight and balance may be why this razor works so well for me. It feels heavy in a good way. The blade does not get caught on heavy growth as the weight of the razor pulls it right through the hair. Also, the weight and blade angle helps me set the razor on my face at the right angle every time without any thought. It was automatic after the first 2-3 shaves.

Overall: I hope the razor lasts me 20 years. I am not sure how the springs will function as they get used for years, but I have no reason to think it will be a problem. I still enjoy shaving with other razors for sentimental reasons, or to change things up, but this is my favorite of them so far.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The Merkur Futur was my first DE razor. I loved it right from the start. As I have gotten a few other razors, the Futurs excellence just becomes more and more apparent. It is still by a good margin my favourite razor. I now also have a Edwin Jagger DE89, Feather Popular and '58 Super Speed.

The great pop off head is also extra perfect for me, since I like to cork my blades between shaves. It takes only a few seconds and is much less of a "chore" than with my other razors.

I love the heft of the razor, it makes me feel like I have a serious tool in my hands. When I grip the razor where the handle narrows, it's perfectly balanced so I can very easily control and get the perfect light amount of pressure against the skin.
I have the razor set on 1 most of the time, this gives me close and very comfortable everyday shaves with no nicks or irritation in one pass + a little touchup. I dial it up to between 2 and 3 for the second pass when I want to be BBS.

I can warmly recommend this razor for other newbees also. An adjustable was definatly the way to go for me until I learned the technique of DE shaving. I can't see how I could have learned with a better tool than this very modern, beautiful and well functioning razor that just keeps growing on me :)
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I want to extol the virtues of this razor. I have a gold Futur and I marvel at its build and workmanship. I have no complaints. It is easy to change the blade, easy to adjust, and easy to shave with. I use a Feather blade and I am in shaving nirvana. Thank you Merkur.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The Futur is my 5th razor, the others being Merkur HD, 11c and Slant plus a 1953 Gillette Parat.

Price: At 60 Euro it's not a cheap razor, but considering the built quality and the mechanical complexity (for a DE razor) of an adjustable, I find the price acceptable.

Quality: Top notch. Built like a tank, no rickety fits anywhere, the chrome finish is flawless. I know that some users have had quality issues with Merkur razors, my Futur however is perfect.

User friendly:
The big issue. It's a case of YMMV, of course, but in my view the blade change and the adjustment are practically foolproof. And I am notoriously clumsy: My wife claims I was born with two left hands, both with 5 thumbs. I very often hurt, cut or burn myself doing mundane things, but the Futur is a safe razor for me.

Grip: I own the chrome model, but the grip is just fine. The sheer heft of the razor and the perfect balance do their part. As for the razor getting slippery: You do shave in the bathroom, don't you? Use a towel! *g*

Ease of Blade Replacement: As Dimitri said: It's a snap. Just pop off the top, insert a new blade,that's it. I honestly can't see the danger in that. Admittedly, it is not as simple as in a TTO razor, but only by a slight margin.

Aggressiveness: Hard to judge with an adjustable, but in my opinion the Futur goes from pretty aggressive to very aggressive. Having said that, all my shaves have been totally irritation free. BBS or DFS with zero redness and no sting or burn from the aftershave.

Adjustability: Perfect. The Futur provides a setting for every need. I often change the settings mid-shave: 3,5 for WTG and XTG, 2 for ATG.

Balance: Also 10/10. Grip it at the "waist", and the balance is just right. "Letting the razor's weight do the work" in perfection.

I've had my sights on this razor since the day I started traditional wetshaving, but I was put off by all those "unsafe" warnings. It isn't unsafe at all, but probably still not a beginner's tool. With a little experience, it is a very rewarding razor, capable of giving extremely comfortable, yet very close shaves.
I also like the fact that it's one of the very few modern looking razors. Although I enjoy the old school-looks of most DEs tremendously, the Futur's space age design makes for a nice change.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I also had the same growing pains with my new futur, thanks for the heads up. This is a great razor and it gets more and more tame with each use, even under the nose. My first D.E. was a Parker butterfly, needed a supply of alum sticks with that one. Thank you for a great review.
Greetings to whoever reads this I am a geriatric wet shaver :wink: and i have had DE razors all my life, The merkur futur is an excellent razor for for beginners or wizened old farts like me :lol:.All you have to do is remember you have an implement in your hand that will cut your face off :eek:. In other words treat it with the respect it deserves and you are well on the way to the BBS we all want It really is an excellent tool :thumbup1:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Love this, the look, feel, results, sound and its handy if you loose your hamer, this took me time to get used to as its a close shaver when first used but over time got to love it, if i want a close shave i pick this up, a few faults though, i find it a bit slippy and always shake a bit when changing the blade but saying that its a great razor and one of the few that gives good shaves whatever blade you use, would not start off with this razor though if i was a newbie but i think everyone should own 1 of these lovely razors and enjoy it.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Price wise, for what I paid, I honestly expected it to be made of a high chrome alloy. Mine has in less than two years shown signs of corrosion due to being plated, not solid.

Hand in hand with that goes quality. I cannot deny that it is very solidly built, and it is a breeze to change blades. Balance is great, and once the right setting is found, the future is relatively user friendly.

Aggressiveness is up to the user. I tried mine first on 6, (as I did with my fatboy) but that was a mistake. Found that 3 is ideal for me. Adjustability is a different issue though. It's just about dangerous due to its manner of operation and stiffness in turning.

To be honest, if I had not been concerned at the state of the fatboy I had at the time, and had I known about this website, I would have bought another fatboy, albeit a newer one. Alas, my fatboy was misplaced on manuevres recently, hence the past tense.

Overall, if not for the corrosion, I'd say the Futur is a half decent razor. That said though, for the money outlayed, I would expect better quality metal throughout.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is my second razor I bought since switching to DE shaving. I bought the chrome Futur which really surprised me that there was no grip and my hand would slide on the handle which I thought really sucked. SOLUTION:! You know the medical rubbery bandage wrap they put on you after drawing blood to keep the cotton ball on? I got some of that and wrapped it tightly around the handle. WOW, what a difference! This razor would be a huge improvement if it was sold with some type of rubber grip on the handle.

As far as comfort of shaving?.....Well, being that it is adjustable, if you crank it way up to 6 you are going to get almost pure blade and no bar....daahhh. I started out slowly with 1 and have worked my way up to 3 which gives fantastic results. Of course the blade matters as I have used Feather and Merkur which is a separate category all together.

As far as blade change: Who cares if the top pops off to replace the blade instead of a "cool looking" dial? The top pops off and you plop a new blade in. How hard is that?
Grip
0.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)