What's new

Merkur Futur

Pros: Ease of usage
Cons: None
The moment you put your hands on this machine, you can fell that is not a toy. I use it for more than 2 years now and I can assure you this is THE mother of all safety razors. I wanted a razor close to a straight and this is it. The sound of the blade, the finish, the heft, the feeling when you're done, all in all recommend this razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Looks, Adjustability, Quality.
Cons: Head Size (Maybe) / Agressiveness.
This was my first DE razor. I bought it before discovering this site. The look and adjustability appealed too me.

I would recommend this razor to any new DE saver. My issue initially was applying too much pressure, resulting in a little burning. (A bad habit of my cartridge days).

As the razor is quite heavy no pressure is needed at all. The weight does appeal to me. No problems changing blades and grip is fine. Have not tried to adjust it yet mid-shave.

The head is quite large, so getting hair just under my nose proved difficult at first, but after a few shaves no problems here.

The best thing is that I can "turn it up" as my skills improve.

You will not regret having this razor as part of your kit.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Aggressive shaver
Cons: Adjustable Handle Requires Lubrication
This is not the least aggressive razor, which some beginners want. However, I got this as my first safety razor. So don't let comments about the aggressive angle stop you. Just begin by using a lower setting. I would suggest 1.5 to 2.

I have used it as my daily razor nearly two years but occasionally use other Merkur models as well as other brands. This is very nice performing razor.

The fuss about adjustment is nonsense. Just grip it under the head with your index and middle fingers on either side of the stem handle and place your thumb over the top of the head. Very simple. Very safe.

I will say that the adjustment knob does need a drop of lubricant every six or eight months so that the handle keeps turning smoothly.

Regarding blade changes; pull the top cap off by grabbing the sides of the cap using your thumb and index finger. No danger at all and it's extremely simple and safe. Either tip the razor over to dump your used blade into the trash or pick up by the sides like any intelligent person would to remove or install a blade.

If you have used any other safety razor you have the same risk of cutting yourself when handling blades. The razor is not to blame.

This is a solid and well built razor that I believe will last a very long time. As with any razor it will need periodic cleaning. When I clean it I am careful not to damage the spring clips that hold the cap on and I give the adjuster a drop of lubricant afterwards.

Overall, this razor is a great daily shaver.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: aggressiveness
Cons: price
This razor intimidated me at first. I had it on the lowest setting afraid of slicing off my face. Someone suggested to dial it up. I did and haven't looked back. this is a powerful razor and one to be used with care. Blade replacement is odd and the grip can be slippery when wet, but this will effectively give you that smooth look that all the girls adore! It's pricey, but it is obviously made with skill and attention to detail.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Appearance, unique technology
Cons: Larger than average head
I love my Futur (bought it 2nd hand)! It deserves an 11/10 for style! When I read the reviews of the Futur 1.5 years ago, I was hesitant to make a purchase. But now that I have bit the bullet and bought it, am kicking myself in the *** for not owning it sooner. The issue with the slipperiness: rinse off your soapy hands and you'll be fine. I haven't dropped it yet (over a month of use) and never did I struggle with the grip. I still have it on setting 1, and it slices the stubble with absolute ease (can only imagine how it performs on setting 3). I can see why people have a "love/hate relationship" with the futur: you have to treat it like a straight razor. I actually have been str8 razor shaving for over a year, which is probably why I haven't had a problem with the Futur. No cuts, nicks, nor much weepers either. The only issue is the satin finish, which slightly fades off at certain areas where there is skin contact. I will probably never shave with another razor anymore (I might buy the Vision though). Don't be afraid, try it out. You might love it! Enjoy.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
D
Pros: Takes lots of lather, easy to clean,great shaving,takes lots of shaving before wash the head, needs les rinsing than gillette slim.
Cons: Hard to use then new, need lost of training to master,not great on the grip to the new guy
After some time getting use to it, it is now one great razor that I use everyday. It did slice some skin in the beginning and gave me nicks and cuts (still do sometimes) but it can hold lots of lather so it doesn't need to rinsing as much as my Gillette slim, so you can shave faster with it. Its one great razor one of my favorite.This is my second razor, my first was an Shick plastic TTO and my second was the Gillette slim with i used fore practices to get merkur furtur to preform better and give me less nicks and cuts.:thumbup1:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have the Futur with the Satin finish. It has become my daily razor from the first shave. It has helped me get the allusive BBS without nicks, cuts, weepers, or irritation.The only con is blade changing can be a little scary, you must pay attention when you're popping the top.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Adjustability, weight, cutting "feedback",
Cons: Bulky Head Construction makes it harder to shave tight spots
I purchased the Merkur Futur approx. 6 months ago and have used it exclusively since. Prior to the Futur I shaved with a Merkur Heavy 34C - so that, and my appreciation for aggressive "adjustability" may explain my grading system here.

Quick points for my grading:

Price: at $65 or less online (amazon) it's hard to beat for the quality delivered.

Quality: it shows from the moment you open the box. Well designed with good balance.

User Friendly: Very easy to use, adjust, and replace razors. Beyond learning how to quickly and safely "pop" the top of the razor to replace blades, you need only learn to turn the handle to adjust the aggressiveness to match you beard and you are in business. (personally I set it to 2.5 on most days as my beard is not daily heavy and will set to 5 if I skipped days - I love that option)

Grip: The handle is smooth and absent any abrasions or grips for the shaft. There is a fitted indent - but you get my meaning. Still, I have only fumbled once (I learned long ago not to garb at a falling razor..) and there was no harm, no foul. The construction is solid.

Ease of Blade Replacement: I take issue with a previous post stating that razor replacement could cause cuts. I should think that we all are well reminded that we are working with "razors" and that threat is ever-present, right? so, no ham fisting the blade placement. As it is, a quick "pop" of the top, laying a new blade in place, and popping the top back into place is, for me, faster and easier than any form of unscrewing pieces for dis-assembly and reconstruction.

Aggressiveness: The option is yours. Not all beards are equal and not all users are the same in their shave. Having the option to adjust from a standard/fixed setting is freedom.

Adjustability: Easy. hold firm the top neck of the handle and screw/unscrew the lower handle until the numbered aggressiveness setting matches your desired beard results. I'd suggest starting on a "3" if coming from a standard fixed head blade.

Balance: a solid weight with an event balance. well designed.

Feedback: an new discussion for me and, I think, unique to the Futur. Since the head of the razor clamps over the blade and adjusted largely by tension wire, there is a louder "feedback" from the blade as is cuts through your beard than I have experienced on other razors. It's not a factor of the blade sharpness (as in the pull of a blade on its last day in rotation) because it also occurred for me on the first day of a fresh Feather blade. For me it's just another feedback, beyond sight, feel, and glide that adds to the morning shave experience.

I hope this helps.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Hefty, brushed chrome, nice to look at
Cons: Very aggressive, even at 1
A very sleek razor, feels solid and well made, althoug when you open the head, there are two little metal things that look a little dubious. I keep my hands pretty dry when shaving, so grip is not an issue, although there is absolutly no knurling on the handle, it is smooth so be warned. The head is HUGE as are the sides, which make aiming it and getting a clean line on your side burns vey tough. I found this razor to be very aggressive, even on 1, I imagine it would be very effective mowing down beard. I was able to achieve baby smooth in only 3 passes (wtg/atg/xtg).
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
As no one else has posted a review of the Merkur Futur I felt that this would be a good opportunity to contribute to the forum.
The Futur was the first DE razor that I used, and despite some recent instances of blood loss I still rate this razor very highly.
Firstly, it is a very good looking piece of equipment, it eschews the the bulky space age lines of the Vision and the ornateness of the 1904 Classic, in favor of clean, crisp minimalist lines. Although a razors appearance should be a secondary consideration for a prospective buyer, how many of us can honestly say that looks do not play a role in the decision making process; and on that score the Futur is the best razor out there.
On taking the razor out of its box, you are greeted by a very solid and impressive looking tool. The Futur exudes class, beyond its visually pleasing exterior it comes across as a dependable and well made item. The adjustment mechanism is solid and has a good feel to it and there is a positive response when you change the settings.
I was so impressed by this razor, that when I subsequently purchased an HD, I thought that I had been fobbed off with a toy from a Christmas cracker, next to the Futur it was too small and too lightweight to be taken seriously.
The first time you use this razor you should be suitably impressed by its weight. It has enough presence to allow strict adherence to the principle of no pressure, the Futur having enough heft that you can let it glide over your face and still get a close shave.
On wide open areas of the face it is a very well balanced razor that performs well.
However, there are design problems. For example, the method of blade replacement involves actually pulling the head off of the razor, bringing your fingers into dangerously close proximity with the blade.
Also, the handle has no grip, this makes it very difficult to hold when your hands are wet, and given the size and weight of the razor this can make it somewhat difficult to manoeuvre.
In fact the lack of manoeuvreability is the major problem with this razor, the aforementioned problems, combined with the actual size of the head mean that the Futur is totally unsuited to precision work.
With regard to the aggressiveness of this razor, I think it is down to common sense on behalf of the user, the potential for injury is there, but if you are sensible and have a deft touch this razor is very easy to tame, in spite of its awkwardness under certain circumstances.
In conclusion, I still like the Futur, given the proper respect it is still a very good razor, but my positive comments may just be down to the fact that I started out with this razor, I would imagine the transition from an HD to this maybe more difficult.
The Futur is a truly classic design, but certain design flaws undermine its true potential.
Warm regards,
Alex
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The marking system for these reviews is all ****-eyed. The more aggressive the razor the higher the score:confused: Aggression in a razor is easy to achieve & too much leads to irritation...., so why mark as more is better, when less is more?

OK, the Futur. The positive things first - It is just about the best finished and constructed Merkur IMO. As with all adjustables it has quite a range of aggressiveness and like just about every adjustable the lower third of the range gives the best shaves. The adjustability is smooth & continuous without click-stops. If razors were just judged on weight then this razor would do very well.

OK, now the less favourable stuff....,

The head of the razor is large & bulky. A big design flaw - I'm thinking did a woman or a pre-pubescent boy design this razor? Wasted space either side of the blade just makes it harder than it need be to shave around the nostrils etc.

The clip-on cap is unique. It is unique in razor design because it is rubbish. All other DE razors clamp down a blade nice and tight, putting the steel under tension and making the edge stiff. The Futur's cap just clips into position, doesn't holds the blade down tight and as a result the blade vibrates when cutting. All this flapping around is audible to the ear and makes the shave about the noisiest available...., terrible idea, was this cap designed to hit a target manufacturing price?

Another downside to this razor is the potentially finger slicing method of adjustment. To adjust the blade exposure you have to hold the head of the razor...., nice one designer:eek:

No grip on the handle - c'mon practicality should be ahead of aesthetics on the priority list.

German Design - clearly the designer had flu or something, maybe he (or she) was just having a laugh...., anyway, do yourself a favour buy Merkurs fixed blade HD instead or if you must have an adjustable buy the Progress or better still go vintage.

Regards
John
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
This was the first razor I bought.....I suppose I was attracted by the Modern look and the on site reviews on the Vendor's site. I have since experimented with other razors....and while it is still in my rota....it is not my favourite.
I think that part of the problem is that the Futur is adjustable! Inexperienced users feel that thet have to move "up the scale" before they can be regarded as a "real" DE Shaver. A little common sense is required for safe usage. I have never cut myself while changing the blade......but I can understand how accidents can happen. This razor by far gives the closest shaves (IMO) but care must be taken.No weight to be applied. It has a technique all on its own. If I use my other razors for too long........I find I have to learn all over again with the Futur.

Good buy......but perhaps not as a starter.

Brian
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I found this razor to be a real treat. I look forward using it. From day 1 i never found this razor to be agressive, i just used the weight of the razor.
Having the option of adjusting the blade is good so if you have sensitive skin like myself you can set it on a low number and move your way up.

Its not the best razor for a beginner as it needs taming like a lion. Once you get the hang of it, it can be the best shave you have ever had.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
My third DE. My other 2, the first of which I lost many years ago, is an HD from Merkur.

I really like the Futur. I found it very easy to use (to be honest though I did look through the forum so I new about the blade settings before I got the razor). Had I not looked at the other reviews and threads on this razor, I would have been a bit confused as to how to set it.

This razor is nicely weighted and, therefore, is easy to allow it to do the work for you. You just hold and drive it, the weight of the razor does the shaving for you.

It is nice to adjust the razor, the only complaint I have (it could just be me though) is the razor seems to have a "more aggressive" side and a "tamer" side when I set it above my first pass setting. I do my first pass at 1.5 and then up the setting to 3. It seems to me that at 3, one side is more aggressive than the other (I can hear it cutting more, feel it cutting more). When I look at the razor though, I can't discern any difference in the exposed amount of blade. Perhaps it is just me.

I would tend to agree that this could be too much for a first timer, but I am not an expert by any stretch and I find it easy to use. The handle is smooth in finish as opposed to my HD handle, which is knurled. As long as I rinse the razor and my hand, I find that my grip on the handle is sure and strong. Even with the HD handle, if my hands/fingers or the handle are covered in cream, then if find the handle slippery. The Futur handle is more slippery given the same conditions.

Love the razor, would encourage anyone to buy it.

Darren
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Next to the Vision, this razor seems to be the most hated or loved. While it can shave you closely and can be very aggressive if you want, the cons far outweigh the pros.

As others have mentioned, the head is oversized making it very difficult to manouver around your face, especially getting your sideburns right and under the nostrils. Adjusting this razor is nothing short of dangerous, it is quite stiff and you have to hold the head of the razor with a blade in while your other hand holds the slippery handle to adjust it. Try this mid-shave with soap and water everywhere. The head clips on and doesn't hold down the blade firmly. There have been many arguments as to whether this makes a difference. The handle is slippery. When I used it I would always end up just holding right under the head as my fingers slipped up the handle. Satin or chrome, they are both bad.

This razor looks good, and can shave you well, but it is not a nice razor to actually use. By a Merkur HD or similar instead.
Grip
0.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
I always found my Futur to be a good shaver, unless your concentration drops, then its quick to remind you of what you are doing...Ouch!

In a sence it is the Beauty AND the Beast :tongue_sm

Its big, its bad and its bulky. I gives a really smooth and clean shave but it has its faults. The biggest drawback is the adjustment - it it dangerous!!:mad:
And the big head makes it hard to see what your are doing around eg sideburns and beardedges..

I have had no trouble changing blades in it, actually find it quite good to just pop the top and insert.

To sum things up - I think its a good nice razor but not one of the best. Go with a Merkur 34 insted (The famous HD)
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
After using a Gillette adjustable for about a year, I decided to purchase the Futur.

The transition was quite easy for me. I get the same super close shave with it as I got with the Gillette.

However, it's a bit heavier and I had to modify the "let the weight of the razor shave" routine to "ease it up a bit". The #3 setting works best for me.

All in all I'm glad I own one. Shaves really well.

The only thing that I hate about it though, is the blade removal. What hack of an engineer masterminded this?...It makes no sense at all. I still get a chill down my back every time I pull on the d*** thing to replace the blade.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
0.00 star(s)
I have been using the futur for a few months and agree with some of the design flaws. Yes the adjustable head is very poorly designed, but i don't think the blade is flopping around or noisy.

its weight is sufficient to allow the blade to glide over the skin without any urge to apply pressure.
It can be a bit difficult to get at the hairs under the nose, but you can turn the head of the razor to get there.

Even with wet and soapy hands, it has never slipped. yes, i have cut myself, but they were all due to my carelessness.

I use merkur platinum blades, trumpers cream and super vulfix brush and achieve very close and comfortable shaves.

Tom
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This razor is simply stunning to look at, especially the polished version. As for the grip, I think that the designers put looks ahead of performance. I can't defend that aspect of this device.

Blade replacement is a bit tricky, I'll admit. But if you follow the right steps properly, carefully, and with dry hands then you should never have a problem. But can you always do this? Its just not an easy piece of equipment to rig up if your in a hurray or a bit impatient. You also need dry hands to adjust it. You might try using something to cover your hand while you turn the top of the razor, like make a towel. I have mine at '3' and I have just been leaving it there for the time being.

I have found the Futur to shave remarkably well. In fact, I would say that it has given me the best shave I have ever had. Were other factors (and products) in play for that shave? And was it by happenstance that I was using the Futur at the time? I'm not sure. But I do give the Futur a great deal of credit.

:a45:
This is not a lightsaber for a padawan, but rather for a real Jedi. If used properly, and if the force is controlled, it can shave you mighty fine.

To sum up, while its not my favourite of the Merkurs (like almost everyone I like the HD the best), and while it does have some slight design flaws, it's still one of the best razors out there. It can deliver magnificent results if you take the time and care.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
This is an exelent bit of kit!
I thought my old Gillete buterfly was good but this is far better, When it turned up I thought i would give it a proper comparison.
So put the wilkinson sword blade in from my old razor, (that was rather dull) and on setting 6 it gave me one of the best shaves I have had, it was simmilar to my old razor with a new blade fitted.
The balance is nice and I love the weight, it has a masive gap behind the blade and is a dream to keep clean.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)