What's new

Merkur Futur

I really like this razor. I've been wet shaving for about 15 years. 12 of those 15 with a progress razor which I believe to be much less user friendly than this razor.

I give it a 6 for price because, obviously, it is a bit on the pricey side. Quality is outstanding and I give it high marks for user friendliness as well. Many criticize it for being difficult to adjust when wet. I think these individuals just don't know how to properly hold the the head when doing so. I do this with wet hands all the time and have come no-where near cutting myself.

I give it a 10 for blade repacement. It's a snap literally. You dont pull up on the head as I've heard some describe, push it up with your tumb from each side, one at a time while grasping the handle and it comes off easily, and I find the heads locking mechanism to be very positive.

I left Aggresiveness unmarked because since it is an adjustable, you can adjust the aggresiveness. I usually use a setting of 3.5 as I am lazy and usally shave EOD. If I shave every day I find that setting 2 suffices, and if I let my stubble get really thick, I'll usually start off with setting 5. Other than that just let the weight of the razor glide across your face and do the rest. Haven't had any problems with knicks and cuts. Don't have problems trimming side burns or inside my nostils either, although I will admit the bulk of the head makes it a little more difficult to do so at first.

Balance I feel is superb and I really like the adustability range. I've used 2 at the low end and 5.5 at the high end, again, only with really thick stubble.

What can I say. I really like this piece of Teutonic engineering.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
My first Futur shave. Well, this thing was a blast to use. It was smooth on the face, chin, neck...heck, EVERYWHERE! I was also impressed on how aggressive it was. I set mine to 2, and it was waaaay more aggressive than a Fatboy or Slim on 9 (which I shaved on 9 every time). This razor definitely has the heft I've been looking for.

A lot of people grip and moan about the way you load a blade, and also how you make the adjustments. Well, as far as the blade loading goes, I've had no problems. All you have to do is pay attention to what you're doing, is it that hard? The adjustment isn't the most practical of designs, but it works just fine. I had no problem cranking it up or down during a shave. I have the polished chrome model, and still had no issues with grip.

Anyway, it was a fun shave, and I look forward to many more years of enjoying it!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Minor Niggles

The razors I've used thus far are: (in order of acquisition) the Long Handled Classic, The Forum Razor Ltd. Ed. 2006, Merkur HD, Progress and now The Futur.

When you look at all the razors I've mentioned, the blade exposure, is pretty similar between them all. (More or less.)

So, I buy the Futur, and open the box, and get my first glimpse at the gap between the safety bar and the cap, and thought :yikes: what am I supposed to use on my neck? (You may find that the skin on your neck is home to more sensitive skin than the skin on your face.) It has given me great shaves with a Feather in two passes to BBS. Unfortunately, a Feather is to sharp for my neck at the Futur's lowest setting.

I thought of one more minor complaint. It's hard to see the numbers on the adjustment wheel. A little bit of paint would have improved the contrast nicely.

Aside from that

I find the cap a plus; in that it covers the ends of the blade. I like the auditory feedback the razor gives you.

I don't find the handle on the Futur slippery. I have the polished chrome model, which in my judgment tends to get dirty from soap scum, (So did my Progress, for that matter.)

The razor is nicely weighted. I hold it at the "waist."

Definitely a recommended buy as long as you know 1 on this razor = about a 4 on the Progress.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I've read too much nonsense regarding the Futur!
It is NOT dangerous to adjust, all you have to do is keep your fingers out of the way. Hold head by either end cap. Twist handle. What could be easier?
Changing the blade is EASY. Pop the top off, put in new blade, push cap back on. My four year old granddaughter could do it with no problem!!!
The blade DOES NOT vibrate under the cap. It is held quite firmly ehough to resist the friction between blade and face!
The reason you can hear the blade cutting is because of the design of the head. The space between the blade holder assembly and the face resting bars acts as a mini acoustic guitar. This is where the sound emenates from, it's nothing to to with blade movement etc!
Holding the handle lightly by the narrow section and shaving gently gives a superb close shave. I have the satin chrome version and it has NEVER slipped in my hand during a shave, nor have I EVER dropped it in seven years of use!
My only gripe is that due to backlash in the system the blade can end up not exactly parallel to the face bars. To sort this problem out I made a couple of U shaped forks from heavy aluminium foil and fed them down each end of the razor under the blade. There is a gap either side and the fork fills this up and holds the head absolutely parallel relative to the blade.
In fact on second thoughts, my younger granddaughter, who is 2 in August would have no trouble changing the blade, or adjusting the razor!
Only the most hamfisted person could possibly cut themselves when carrying out these operations. Perhaps the razor should come with a risk assessment disclaimer!
Great razor, great balance, easy as pie to use!
Cheers,
Martin
:scared:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I bought the Merkur after reading various reviews on this site and others .Well after unpacking and putting blade in which is a bit tricky but not dangerous,I soaped up and was off well the result was a great shave no cuts and a pretty smooth face .I was very pleased for a first shave and realize that with a more aggressive setting [was set at 2] could probably rival the open razor shaves I had in Turkey which required no shaving for 2 days after.
In short very pleased with Merkur and Merkur Blades great Razor, but give it respect when using it.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Prologue: I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89L just two weeks ago and wrote a praising review. But after using it three times, my wife complaint about the conspicous shadows in my face, which were visible direct after the shave. Even with the Feather Blade, the razor is too soft for my stubborn hairs. So I went back to the excellent review-database of this forum and looked for a more dashing razor. And found the adjustable Futur!

I ordered it at a german shop, The Different Scent and got it within 48 hours with a handful of small testers and try-out-blades; nice!!! Price was 60.00 Euro w/o P&P.

Impressions:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This razor is really a heavy piece! It lies in your hand like a piece of ore. The satin finish gives a nice grip. Some people criticize the construction of the cap, but my experience is, that it holds the blade very firmly. It even sits firmly when you try to move it with the fingers. I found the process of blade replacement quite comfortable; first push the cap from below on the one side till it prevails the tension of the spring, then do the same on the other side and you can easily take it off. The adjusting-mechanism functions smooth on my Futur, without the danger of unintentional adjustment.

But there is one big issue I have to complain about: Merkur has to work on their quality! Even on the high compressed Jpegs I've posted above, you can see easily the legions of tiny flaws in the finish. And when you remove the cap, the two "springs" are a little bit bend and not perfectly even. Please do not get me wrong: all functions are okay, but the finish and the precision of manufacturing need an improvement! :mad3:

Therefore the symmetry of the head is perfect and so I went to the bathroom...:biggrin:

Most people recommend a low adjustment for the first shave, so I tried 2.25, which makes a not so small gap on the head...:eek: But the following shave was great! I can confirm the loud sound of the razor when it cuts the hairs. But it cuts them all with one stroke. And it cuts deep. In combination with a blue swedish Gillette I got a smooth BBS Shave with no irritations, no hacks and no burn. For me, the Futur isn't very aggressive. I think its a soft and reliable companion.

If you want an up-to-date Adjustable and can live with the flaws, get it! The Futur isn't meant for lying in a showcase, it is built for use. I hope Merkur improves that one day and upgrades the fabrication.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I really like this razor. I do not have any problems with my razor, I gave it an 8 on quality because the mechanism works by clipping the top part and pressure is applied by small parts that I question their longevity and their ability to get clamping down.

I wanted to show a picture of my modification in order to help with the gripping issues. The solution was really simple, I slip the rubber part of a mechanical pen by using a similar technique as replacing a bike grip. get the razor soaped up a little and viola!!!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
:thumbup:PRICE: I have noticed the price of these seem to be getting steep. I paid alittle under $40 for my satin finished Futur and thought that was terrible at the time. So I rated it down on price even tho its worth the current price or more.
QUALITY: comparable to a fine Swiss time piece, (Rolex) and will last more than 1 lifetime!
USER FRIENDLY: Yup, it is! I hear the issue of adjusting the razor with wet hands, anyone who owns the futur and has tried adjusting the razor with wet hands knows the cap protrudes very slightly on one end were you grip it say for a final pass adjustment. This, to me gives you a very secure grip for adjusting. (see picture) Further it makes "popping" the cap off for blade replacement a snap:biggrin1:
GRIP: Good, theres an indented portion of the grip barral about 2/3 of the way up. I may be weird but this is perfect for me due to my "choking up" on the razor.
EASE OF BLADE REPLACEMENT: Easier than a 3 piece, about the same as a 2 piece Slant. The blade is held VERY securely when the top snaps back into place, never a problem with blade alignment.
AGGRESSIVENESS: I find the Futur unique in as much as it can shave gently and effectively, (2-2 1/2) for me and finish as stoutly as called for which is a 4 on my "water" or oil pass thus all but eliminating any touching up. I have never seen the need to explore above a 4 for a shave matching my 30+ years of using a straight..
ADJUSTABILITY: YES
BALANCE: Perfect.
CONCLUSION: I like the Futur. The solid feeling, weight, balance and sound of this tool in use is unparalleled.
It can inflict damage if one becomes overly careless but one would almost have to try and inflict it. :thumbup1:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I used a Vision for >2 years until it was stolen while travelling. The Vision was the only DE I'd ever used and I was happy with it other than I felt there was a problem of it lasting "forever" due to the complex construction - small metal spring and plastic part. It also means that there is a lot more to clean with the VISION.

Anyway, I thought the Futur was close enough to the Vision to give it a try and save a few bucks although I got the gold one (just thought it would be kind of cool).

I actually like the Futur better than the Vision, with one exception:

Better - Contrary to some others, I find the FUTUR very easy to adjust and don't feel I'm at "risk" when adjusting it. I found the VISION harder to adjust - less smooth and hard to turn the adjusting ring with wet hands. Just hold it firmly by the ends of the head with your thumb and forefinger. This gives a secure grip even with wet hands. Of course if you've got some super slippery soap or cream on your hands, there is more of a risk and it only takes a second to rinse it off.

Weight. The FUTUR seems a little lighter than the VISION but still very heavy, which I like.

Grip - I hold it under the head in the little indentation which is the way I believe it was designed to be held. When held this way I have great control and no slippage. I guess if you just hold it on the lower part of the handle it might seem to be a problem.

Worse - The reason user friendly is an 8 is the "overhang" on both ends. This makes it difficult to get close to my moustache/goatee. This is my only complaint.

No real difference - Blade removal - just follow the directions, the cap pops off easily every time and there is no risk at all - You can't get cut by the end of the blade.

If you're thinking of giving it a try, I'd go for it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This was my first DE, and it is still my first choice.

Most criticisms regarding its grip while trying to adjust when it's wet are correct, also comments regarding the care you need to take while using it. BUT when it comes to achieving a long lasting shave, it is definitely my first choice.

It does have a steeper learning curve than other razors. But once I mastered that part, no other model has (so far) surpassed or even reached the results of this one.

As for its aggressiveness: I did acquire a few nicks while learning with this one, but it never came down to a serious cut.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Merkur Progress is cheaper and better.:wink:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I went through about 35-40 differen razors now, all major brands, all major types, even the most collectible items found on ebay.

I since then dumbed down my collection and have only 3 razors left:

The Schick Krona, the Gillette 1947-1952 Superspeed and.....the Merkur Futur.

The Futur is a GREAT razor by a long shot. There is no other razor on the market that gives you quite the cutting sound as this beauty. It's weight is unreached except by the more expensive (and dare i say not as good) "other" Merkur.

The Futur is, once the right setting is found, the best razor i could possibly have.

A great buy overall, even if the price is somewhat high, it's well worth it. :biggrin: :001_wub:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I don't see one of these monsters in my Futur.
I believe that the Futur is truly a highpoint in moder razor design and manufacture. There are prettier, more elegant shavers, but I can't think of any that shave better, most don't shave as well.The Futur's head does a superb job of holding the blade squarely and securely. and presents the blade to the face in a most consistant manner. It shaves the same on both sides and cuts with efficiency which most other razors just dont realize.
You will be pleasantly suprised, the first time you use one, at the auditory feedback it gives you. You will hear it slicing through your whiskers.
This feedback, besides providing great entertainment really helps to learn and maintain the proper angle of attack.
This razor does require you to develop your technique, to pay attention to what you are doing and to have and use some common sense.
If your hands are wet and slippery from lathering, rinse and dry them.
Honestly, the blade change is quick and easy. If you can operate a seatbelt, you will have no problems with blade changing.
Hint, hold the razor pointing down, towards a face towel or washcloth on your counter. Push down on the top cap end tab and thr top will pop off and land nicely on your cloth. With a little practice you can cause the blade to come out of yhe top and land right next to it.
Adjustments are quite simple, just lay the head against the counter and do what you need to do.
Another hint: Find the setting that works well with the blade you are using and leave it there until you switch to another brand of blade. I have been using mine for 2 1/2 years and it stays between 1 and 2.
Additionally, the Futur is the very repeatable in regard to the settings. The adjustment machine is very robust and a 2 will be a 2 for longer than you will care about it.
To sum it up the Futur will give you super close, clean comforable shaves with a wide variety of blades. If you do your part right, you will get the same shave every time.
The Futur can shave every part of your face and neck, and do so without any irritation. I have a heavy beard and most of the time I shave twice a day.
I have RAD as bad as anyone and have spent a load of cash on a drawerful of razors. Some are works of art and some are very nostalgic and fun to use.
None of them shave better than my Futur.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
OK, I'll start by admitting that this is the only DE razor I've ever used, so I don't have anything to compare it to. However, I can write about my experience with it:

PROS:
a) Well built, great looking.
b) Satisfying heft. No need to press, the weight of the razor does everything for you.
c) Very easy to change blades. The top just pops off and snaps back in.
d) Amazing shaves with the proper blades (Don't use store-brand crap. I learned that the hard way).
e) Adjustable: it has 11 positions (1 to 6 in .5 increments). This allows you to start low and gradually move up until you find the setting that's right for you.

CONS:
a) Incredibly dangerous to adjust. The obvious way is to grip the head by the sides and twist. Unfortunately, if your fingers slip you'll slice them. After the blood transfusion I came up with a better way: grip the bottom of the head with your index and middle fingers and the top with the thumb then twist.
b) A bit expensive

Not CONS: (I'm refuting other reviewers here)
a) The handle may not be knurled, but it is not slippery at all. It feels very safe and I have never lost my grip on it. I have the one with the matte finish. Maybe the glossy one is slippery, but mine isn't.
b) The head is indeed rather big, but I have never had any trouble shaving under the nose or maneuvering it anywhere else. I think this is more of a psychological barrier to those who are used to smaller heads.

Maybe there are easier to use DE razors out there, but I'm not having any trouble with mine, so I see no need to change.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The Futur is my go to razor. I used a Red Pack IP blade which is a match for me. I set the razor to a 2 and do three pass shave. A great shave. I think this is a great razor. The grip could be better but the shave this razor gives me makes up for this handicap. I don't have issues with the blade replacement, haven't cut my finger yet! I would highly recommend this as a great adjustable razor. To me, it shaves better than my fatboy or slim. I still use them and like them but the Futur, I love!!:001_smile
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Price- You get what you pay for. Bit higher than regular DE razors.

Quality- Excellent

User Friendly- Changing aggressiveness could get you cut. Not a big issue, but not good enough for a 10.

Grip- Have had no issues

Blade Replacement- Could be better, not a big issue but not good enough for a 10.

Agressiveness- it's adjustable.

Adjustability- 10

Balance- Great

This razor is heavy. During my first 4 pass shave with this I was a bit sore from holding the thing. :blushing:

Can't loosen the area that holds the blade in place to rinse and let the razor dry like with other Merkurs, just an observation. Razor still dries fine. I have no problem getting under my nose, the head isn't a problem at all.

A great razor.

- Aaron
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
i too bought the futur, im not too fond of it. it does shave well but if your not aware of what your doin you can get a nasty gash. too agressive for me...so is the vision
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
yasuo200365;29997 said:
The marking system for these reviews is all ****-eyed. The more aggressive the razor the higher the score:confused: Aggression in a razor is easy to achieve & too much leads to irritation...., so why mark as more is better, when less is more?

OK, the Futur. The positive things first - It is just about the best finished and constructed Merkur IMO. As with all adjustables it has quite a range of aggressiveness and like just about every adjustable the lower third of the range gives the best shaves. The adjustability is smooth & continuous without click-stops. If razors were just judged on weight then this razor would do very well.

OK, now the less favourable stuff....,

The head of the razor is large & bulky. A big design flaw - I'm thinking did a woman or a pre-pubescent boy design this razor? Wasted space either side of the blade just makes it harder than it need be to shave around the nostrils etc.

The clip-on cap is unique. It is unique in razor design because it is rubbish. All other DE razors clamp down a blade nice and tight, putting the steel under tension and making the edge stiff. The Futur's cap just clips into position, doesn't holds the blade down tight and as a result the blade vibrates when cutting. All this flapping around is audible to the ear and makes the shave about the noisiest available...., terrible idea, was this cap designed to hit a target manufacturing price?

Another downside to this razor is the potentially finger slicing method of adjustment. To adjust the blade exposure you have to hold the head of the razor...., nice one designer:eek:

No grip on the handle - c'mon practicality should be ahead of aesthetics on the priority list.

German Design - clearly the designer had flu or something, maybe he (or she) was just having a laugh...., anyway, do yourself a favour buy Merkurs fixed blade HD instead or if you must have an adjustable buy the Progress or better still go vintage.

Regards
John

Agree with every word of your review.
The Futur is the best designed shaving tool I have ever used. I can use ANY blade in it - blades that are otherwise unuseable in my HD or SS, and it will give me a decent shave. Blades like the Swede in it are sublime. Further, the sound while shaving gives yet more feedback on just how your shave is going.

Some of the objections about the head being too big I dont agree with. I can get anywhere with it that I can with my SS, although one might not think so by looking at it. Also - while not as elegant as barn doors, blade replacement is rather simple.

If I had to levy two criticisms, it would be these. First, the grip is poor. A little knurling on the handle would have went a long way. Fortunately, this can be easily remedied by a plastic dip.

Second, the range of adjustments is poor. I have never heard anyone using the thing anywhere over 3, and most of us I think are a decimal somewhere between 1 and 2. I think the razor would be much better if they recalibrated the current 1-3 range.

Terrific razor overall though.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly