What's new

Merkur Double-Edge Travel Razor

Pros: A great shave, impressively compact
Cons: A little lightweight
I received this razor as a present a couple of weeks ago and as I have been working away from home it has been my go-to razor (I normally use an EJ89). The razor came with Merkur Super Blade and the vendor also threw in a 5 pack of Treet Platinums. I have been immensely impressed with this little beauty. Slightly more agressive than a Gillette Tech I feel but less so than my EJ. Every shave so far has been BBS with no nicks or weepers, using either of the supplied blades. I'll try a Derby next but I am sure that the result will be the same. I used my EJ last weekend witha Treet blade and ended up with several nicks and an inferior shave to that I have been getting with this Merkur and I suspect I have been converted and that my EJ will be relegated. I now need to decide what standard size Merkur to buy! To think I switched to DE shaving to save money!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: small size, leather case, open-comb head
Cons: price, poor balance
Merkur Travel Safety Razor, open comb

This is a handy open-comb travel razor with a two-piece handle. It comes in a leather case (as mine did), or a transparent plastic case. If Gillette had made an old-style travel razor, it may have looked like this one.

Price: $38.50 seems a bit steep for what you get. But it disassembles into a compact space, which is the main point of this razor.

Quality: I don't think much of the alloy or the plating, but I found no glaring flaws with the razor.

User Friendly: The handle assembles and disassembles easily, and the head functions like a Gillette old-style safety razor.

Grip Knurling on the handle is adequate for a lightweight razor.

Ease of Blade Replacement: As with the Gillette old-style, blade replacement is not difficult, but it is not as easy as it could be.

Aggressiveness It has more bite than I expected, and it gets the job done.

Adjustability: This is not an adjustable razor.

Balance: The handle lacks the mass to balance the head, but that is an acceptable trade-off for a razor that breaks down as this one does.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
This little beauty turned up with my 39C slant this morning, and WOW, really really cool, the handle twists apart and one bit fits inside the other to make it really small, it all fits in nice little leather pouch which is the same size as a book of matches.

Shave = 38C style..same head I think, as I've already shaved with my slant this morning....pending

Well worth the money, wonderful design, small, packs a bit of weight for something so small.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Works perfect, no complaints. Its actually made it into my at home rotation. It works wonders with a derby blade on my face anyways.

If your on the fence to buy one, just do it, you will not regret it.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I have been using the open comb for a week. It is hard to focus a review as a compromise razor. As a travel razor it is ideal. It packs down very small and light and offers a great shave which is what you want when you are traveling light and for a quick overnight. When you don't want to pack your full size razor and kit.

That said, I am really enjoying this razor. As a daily driver it does not give me as smooth a shave as my slant or superspeed (although I'm still trying different blades) but still a very nice shave and far better than a gillette track 2.

Sure, it would be better with a little more weight in the handle and head, perhaps more agressive or refined head, but this thing almost fits in my wallet and that is the idea.

Tom
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I got the open comb version of this razor as a gift after having it on my list. I wanted something for travel that would pack up nicely but still offer the benefits of a nice DE shave.

This razor is fairly well-made overall. The only markdowns were for some slight misthreading on the handle and for some waviness in the chrome plating on the head.

It's fairly user friendly and easy to assemble, but tightening securely requires that you hold the head at the ends where the blade sticks out which is slightly unconfortable. A "10" in this dept. would be my Fatboy TTO.

I find the grip fairly comfortable even though it's a bit short. It's also hollow so the razor is head-heavy, but that didn't detract for me.

Finally, this is a pretty mild shaver. The blad sits right up against the combs with very little to no spacing. I loaded a Feather for my first shave and after 3 passes still was not BBS, but close.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with this razor. It will offer a nice, comfortable DE shave while I'm on the road. And due to it's lack of aggressiveness, I may be able to save extra space in my dopp kit by leaving my styptic pencil at home.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
This thing can get a little awkward when trying to change blades but thats about it in terms of the negatives.

When taking it apart you will have to store the blade in its wrapper and put it in with the broken down razor, you can't keep it in the head or it will cut the pouch.

I have the open comb verison and it is fantastic. No problems with aggressiveness, the open comb is great. The handle breaks into two and one piece fits in the other, I really like that.

A cool little razor!

Aaron
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
I've given this razor a trial run twice before my pending trip to SFO, just so I won't have any unpleasant surprises on the road.
So far I've gotten two really nice shaves with it. Seems like the head is identical in specs to my Merkur 38C w/barberpole handle. Gives me a chance to see how the same razor would shave without the heavy handle... (and I'm considering that perhaps a shorter handle razor might work better for me!)
The best thing about this razor is how compact it is. Just a little larger than a matchbook. Really nice. Along with my new Caswell Massey travel brush and some Bigelow cream, I'm smooth, with zero irritation, and not a nick.
It's certainly not an aggressive razor, which frankly is a pretty good thing when you're traveling and not entirely sure what your conditions for shaving may be. This seems to me like it might even be a good razor for DE newcomers.
It's high quality, and very solid, just like other Merkurs that I've seen.
Adjustability? None, but not necessary in my opinion.
It's top heavy, so balance is off, but again, I have low expectations here given the type of instrument.
Blade replacement could be a bit better, only because you need to hold the head while tightening. Worth it for the fact that this thing breaks down into such small parts.
And it's worth every penny... great design overall, light, compact, perfect for travel.
I look forward to using this on the road. This will be my first trip without a Gillette Sensor, cartridges, and goo. Can't wait!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I have used this a few times now ,well pleased with the razor ,shave is great . Quality is fabulous and the heads from my 1904 fits as well:biggrin: . Both are straight bar .In fact they are identical , the heads off my old 3 piece Gillette's fit on as well:001_smile .as a travel razor it is nice and compact :001_smile, its a bit of a struggle to get more than three blades in the leather holder . Two blades should last a week .
money well spent.:smile:
I was not impressed with the open comb version of this - it was not agressive enough. If you shim the blade in the open comb it works pretty well, but it is tricky to make a shim that is a good thickness and shape. With a straight bar Merkur head on it, it works much better. I have been using a head from a Merkur 1904, but I assume the one that comes with the travel razor works just as well. I've gotten some nice shaves out of this. Just make sure you get a good lather, watch the angle and pressure.
I have two of these, the straight bar and the open comb. Perfect for travel and either one gives a great shave. I usually bring both with me. If I havan't shaved for a couple of days I use the open comb. They are light sxo you have to fool around a bit with the pressure, but really, no problems using them.:thumbup1:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
I got this because I thought the design looked interesting and simply because I wanted to try it out. Being mostly into hefty razors I had no real expectations to what quality of shave I should suspect from this razor, after a bunch of shaves under the belt with the 933CL I can only say that it has suprised me in a positive way.

proxy.php

Price:
Like all Merkurs I have tried; a good product for the money

Quality:
Fit and finish is superb and the genuine leather case included is well made and nice looking

User friendly:
Assembly of this razor is quite easy, I hardly think anyone could get it wrong. Due to the lightness of the razor a slight amount preassure is required to get a decent shave from it - not making it suitable for the beginner

Grip:
Short, thin and light - but ok

Ease of Blade Replacement:
Like any other three-piece. Blade allignement is perfect on mine

Aggressiveness:
This is a very mild razor, as stated silght preassure is needed to achieve a decent shave

Balance:
It is hard to really speak of balance with a razor this light

This is everything a travel razor is supposed to be; light, packable, easy to use, capable of giving a decent shave while being almost impossible to hurt yourself with. It has earned it's place in my dopp-kit.

Regards.

Jakob
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is a great razor and a nice idea, but mine blunts the blade after one shave (it wont even cut paper on one side :mad3:).

If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

Chris
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Not a real Merkur razor. A compromize. A so called emercency razor.:cool:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is actually the razor I got started wet shaving with. I use it quite a bit while I'm traveling. The quality is excellent and portability is great. It's attractive and it works great. I do notice a difference in the aggressiveness of it compared to the HD but it's never been a problem. In making the handle hollow so the two parts can fit together makes it a little unbalanced but again it's never seemed to be a problem.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Small, light, well made
Cons: lacks aggressiveness, not the best balance
The chrome finish and general build standard make this instantly recognisable as a quality product.
My general razor is an HD and the travel doesn't have any heft in comparison nor is it nearly as aggressive. I don't mind this however - light is good for a travel razor and the lack of aggression is OK when you're stuck in a hotel room, jet lagged and knackered and you don't know how hard the water is, etc. You do have to provide some very light pressure but the truth is we all know how to do this from shaving upward.
You'd have to be mentally subnormal to have any difficulty putting it together, etc.

There's enough slack room in the wallet for a few spare blades so you don't need to take a whole blade pack if you don't want too.

Don't try to pack it away with the blade still in the head, keep the wax paper wrapper and use that to repack the blade in. The handle will blunt the blade by rubbing against it if you don't do this.
The wallet itself is very nice too - I'm no expert but it looks like genuine leather and the pop stud seems durable.

Some measurements

Length: 2 7/8in (7cm)
Weight: 1.6oz (45.5g)
Weight inc wallet: 2.2oz (62g)
Wallet sides: 2.25x2.25in (5.5x5.5cm)
Wallet thickness with razor: 7/8in (2cm)
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
A nice, small rzor for travel, or even everyday use.

The handle is short; about 2.5-3", I'd say, and breaks apart (unscrews) into two seperate pieces. The head, like most (all?) Merkurs screws off and seperates into two. A compact storage case is included, and of decent quality.

This razor seems to me to be pretty much the same as my Merkur Long Classic, save for the shortened break-apart handle. It seems to sahve about the same, which is to say that this is a quality razor but might be a bit on the un-aggressive size, as seems to be the consensus with Merkurs (I have no experience with other razors, so nothing against which to compare). Nonetheless, proper technique and a good blade gets me as close a shave as I care to get. A good product, nicely portable, highly reccommended.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)