What's new

Merkur "Barber Pole" 38C

Pros: Excellent design, alignment is perfect every time
Cons: Cannot easily undo the razor without a risk of breaking everything if I want to clean it.
I've been using this razor for over a year on a regular basis. It works well and shaves as I would expect a DE razor to shave. The blade angle is very easy to find. I would like to undo the razor sometimes to clean it. I know I can but I'm afraid to break it as there's a piece that's pushed in the handle with a ring.

Other than that, I have 2 of those. If one of them falls apart, I have a spare!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Solid, secure grip, easy to clean, hefty
Cons: Can turn in your hand if you let it
I've had my 38C for some years now. It was my first DE razor, it's my only DE razor, and barring some catastrophe, it's likely to be my last DE razor. I have no desire for another. I'm a pretty monogamous guy (happily married for 27 years).

What can I say that hasn't already been said? It's built like a tank, it's a beautiful object, the finish is superb. The "barber pole" grooves in the handle make for a great grip. One thing I learned early on is that it's *so* weighty that if your hand is wet and soapy, the razor CAN literally slip through your fingers and slide down along the grooves IF you let it, turning in your hand as it goes. So don't let it! That doesn't mean you have to grip it like a gorilla, though.

I find it to be not terribly aggressive, which works for me as I have a pretty light beard. I'm still experimenting with blades but I've gotten pretty good results from the oft-maligned Dorco ST-300, Astras, Israeli Personna Reds, and several others. I just picked up a bunch of tucks of never-tried blades, so the experimentation will continue. If I'm going to stick with this excellent razor, I can still shake things up with the blades.

I don't think anyone can go wrong with a 38C.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: heavy, long handle, easy to change blades, esay to clean
Cons: not adjustable, may be difficult to find travel sleeve
This is the razor that will kill RAD. After this there is no need to look for a better shaver, because you won't find one. While not an adjustable, this actually works out for this razor. The 38C is medium-aggressive and heavy with a long handle, which is perfect for newbies and old hands alike. While it isn't as easy to change blades as a TTO, the large bulbous knob certainly takes any confusion out of what to do to change the blade. The texturing on the handle gives a very solid grip that will not slip, even with soap on the hand holding the razor. Even though the grip is very solid it is still very easy to manipulate the razor. The very, very first time a person would pick this razor up, or even before that, when they pick up the box, can tell it is high quality and will outlast the heat death of the universe and give the best shaves a man could ask for the whole time.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Heavy construction makes this a good choice for a beginner
Cons: None! I love this shaver.
Let me start off with stating this is my first DE razor - which was recommended by many a member. And a wonderful choice!

The shaver is a closed comb, long handled version. It has a quality heft when using, which really helps transition you from putting too much pressure to your face when you are starting out. Very smooth chrome adds a lot of comfort. And using a longer handle made the transition easier for my hands.

This shaver has been a real joy to learn the art of wet shaving and has become a close friend during my morning ritual.

Would highly recommend.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
A truly great razor. Not cheap but it will very likely outlast you, your children and grandchildren so it will certainly pay for itself many times over.
Built like a tank and very well balanced and weighted, with careful use, the heft of the razor will practically shave you itself.
Could be aggressive if you let it but handled correctly, you'll get nothing but good shaves.
The only problem is that it may kill your RAD. Why would you need another razor after this..?
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The "Barber Pole", as it is becoming known, is a beautiful, beautiful thing. It solicits gasps of admiration from non-wet shaving friends; it would be as home in a design exhibition as on a bathroom shelf.

The first thing you notice when taking the razor out of the box is that it is very, very shiny. The top, identical to that fitted to the HD, is mirror polished chrome, and he engraved handle is also covered in a deep, lustrous and shiny finish.

The handle is a lot longer than the HD and has a swirl pattern grip - hence the Barber Pole moniker - in place of the fine gnurled waffle finish of the 34C. The result is reassuring levels of grip, even when the razor is covered in lather and water.

The 38C, like it's baby brother 34C, is made from brass, which not only holds that beautiful chrome really well, it also adds a reassuring sense of weight and heft to the Barber Pole. It feels expensive and well-constructed.

Blade loading is exactly the same as on the HD - unscrew the ring on the end of the handle, remove the top-plate, insert blade, screw back together. It's not as handy as a butterfly mechanism but it's mechanically much simpler and doesn't need as much cleaning. I like simple!

The razor is excellent to shave with. The sheer heft of the thing means that any temptation to apply pressure goes out of the window. You just let it get on with it. It's easier to adjust to, as a first DE, then a shorter handled razor as it roughly matches the dimensions of most cartridge systems.

Aggressiveness is the same as the HD, and so it should be fine for most people. It works very well with Feathers.

The downside to this is that it is trickier to shave the awkward areas such as the moustache area. The Barber Pole is just not as "manouvreable" as an HD.

In conclusion, this a beautiful and well made razor. It won't be to everyones' tastes, but if you have large hands or prefer a bit if of heft of your razor, it just might turn out to be your favourite.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)