What's new

Merkur 39C Slant Sledgehammer

Pros: close shave
Cons: none
Can't believe I waited this long to try the Slant. Put a Feather in the razor I rec'd today and with first pass and little pressure was blown away by results. I was using a Jagger that I liked, but this razor is superior for my face. When I have time, I enjoy shooting for an extremely smooth shave...guess I am anal about it. Wife does not like me between her thighs otherwise. If you are not interested in a very close shave, I suggest you buy a cheap razor on eBay from China. I have a few from different providers and different styles and they all work well and are extremely inexpensive.

Don't know how long the 39C will hold up, but I am riding this horse into the dirt.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Uhhh...looks nice
Cons: A bleeder for lefties
Keep the stypic, maybe even stitches, handy if you're a lefty and try and use this open slant. A total disaster! The incredibly open and aggressive side is in the wrong position. Imagine a Futur on the 10 setting.....
Grip
0.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
0.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Design, feel, closeness
Cons: Screwing feels less then perfect
Really liked the shave. It was effortless and not a single cut. Much better then HD. The only issue I have is that when screwing it on it feels like you are forcing it at the end.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Results in a very close shave
Cons: Takes longer to shave than with other razors [edit : not any more!]
After weeks of trying to decide whether to get the standard length 37c or the Barber pole 39c I finally decided on the 39c. I'm glad I did as I found that I really enjoy the extra heft and length (though I do have large hands). Blade replacement is more fiddly than most razors and care has to be taken to get it right. I was surprised at how "grippy" the handle was with the knurling cuts being quite rough and going quite deep into the steel. However this would have been even better had they also cross-cut the knurls in the other direction to give a grip more like the standard HD (but then the "Barber pole" moniker wouldn’t be applicable) and perhaps smoothed them out a bit. After using an Edwin Jagger DE89L for a year or so and becoming used to its exceptional standard of manufacture, the appearance of the Merkur was a bit of a let-down with the obvious use of cheap pot-metal in the head and a lower standard of chrome plating. It’s a shame that a manufacturer that charges more for its razors than Edwin Jagger doesn’t make a bigger effort to finish their products to a higher standard. That said, the lower standard of finish doesn’t affect its performance – and yes the razor does perform well. Unlike others, I haven’t found that fewer overall passes are required but I do find it results in a closer shave, particularly under my chin where every other razor I’ve tried left noticeable stubble requiring multiple touch-ups. The nature of the slant means I do need to take extra care to avoid nicks and have to use short strokes. The net result is that I find my shave with a 39c takes noticeably longer than with my EJ DE89L which is such a mild forgiving razor in comparison (I find I can whip through a four-pass shave using the EJ in no time at all. If I was to try that with my 39c and I’m sure it would result in multiple nicks, cuts and probably a shaving rash from using too much pressure). Overall, despite my misgivings, this IS a good razor but it requires a light touch, good technique and a reasonable amount of previous experience in using standard DE razors. .Edit : Four months on and with more experience, my technique with this razor has improved to the point where I no longer have to shave as slowly as I did to avoid getting nicked. I do still have to take care and the razor will still "bite" if I get cavalier with it, but my shaves are now as quick as they were with my EJ DE89L. I have also noticed that the 39c is more tolerant of a variety of different blades. Where as I found that the EJ DE89L was so mild that I needed to use super-sharp Feathers to give a near-BBS shave, blades which performed poorly in the EJ have been excellent in the 39c. On that note, my DE89L now sits in its curved chrome stand on my shaving shelf looking very pretty but largely unused (something that I almost feel guilty about…)
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I got my slant 3 weeks ago. Up until then I had been using my gillette adjustables and my red tip. After reading reviews I thought the slant may be out of my league. Considering I could not get a good shave on my neck I took a chance. WOW! I was surprised. I have been getting BBS from day one. No nicks, but more importantly no rash on my neck. :thumbup:
Here it is, the perfect razor for me. I have been using the "sledgehammer" slant exclusively for a couple years:

-Eliminates beard resistance. The superiority of this razor lies in this one fact and all benifits from the razor stem from this. The weight and angle of the head allows the blade to just sail through your beard. I have a very heavy beard and it literally feels like there is no resistance to the blade for cutting. I noticed this effect from the first time I ever used it. It sounds corny, but I can still remember my first swipe with it. I had to look to make sure the blade cut whiskers because I didn't feel anything. The difference from other razors for me was that dramatic. Before using this razor, every other razor had resistance from my whiskers and I had to pull harder to get through. This resistance alone contributed to most shaving irriation and cuts. Note that when using a regular HD slant I did not experience the magnitude of benefit compared to the sledgehammer slant. Therefore, I think the weight has a large contribution in addition to the slanted angle.

-No irritation. See above. No resistance takes all pressure off my skin. My beard just comes right off with my combination of Shave Secret, shave soap lather and this razor.

-Less nicks/cuts. See #1

-Close shave daily. See #1

I use Astra SPs only in my 39c. I shave daily and have a very heavy beard. I have no irriation, cuts or ingrowns. This is the only razor that has delivered these perfect results for me. I believe the slant is milder than other razors, not more harsh as many would lead you to believe. The smoothness has no equal. This razor is superior to every other razor including the regular HD slant (37c). I also own a back up in case something ever happens to my regular use one. I can say without a doubt this is the only razor I will ever use. Unlike other wet shaving items, I am not even tempted to try another.

I highly recommend trying this if you haven't and don't be scared of it. If you have already developed sound DE technique you will be fine.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Right, My new 39C slant turned up this morning, and I couldn't wait to get shaving with it.....however....there are a few questions about build quality..

.. not sure if this is just flaking of the welds or the plating (pics attached) but I'll assume this is nothing to worry about?? The rest of the razor is of superb quailty.

Anyway to the shave...well it's good, real good, less passes means less irritation for me and that's a good thing, it really cuts the hairs, and does not scrape at all. Control is exaclty the same as my Merkur 38C and that's real good too.

Blade replacement is exactly the same as a normal DE, save that as I tighten, I hold the ends (yes the blunt ones) and just move the blade so the two ends are opposites, then tighten fully...easy.

I feared the slant...not anymore, if you want a slant but just thought about it, seriously get one they are wonderful:thumbup: :thumbup::
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The best shaves of my life have been obtained from this razor. It is a pure joy to use such an attractive and masculine looking instrument that delivers great results. When I add a quality aftershave and walk out the door I feel content and confident.

I graduated to this razor from a Merkur 34C "HD" razor, not because I was dissatisfied with the 34C, but because I wanted a more aggressive shaver. It really deserves a perfect 10.

The reason why I got the longer handle 39C rather than the same razor with the shorter handle (37C) is because I had a chance to purchase a nearly-new 39C for about half its original cost. Since I have had experience with the 34C, for me length of handle makes absolutely no difference.

All in all, if you want a great shave that is a little more aggressive than a conventional DE razor, get the Merkur 39C (or 37C). :thumbup:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
i too use this razor - bought it for a good price on Executive Shaving - great site bye the way!
In 30 years of shaving this is the best razor I've ever used 39 + 38 rules!
I truly love the 39c "Fluffy Kitten", because:

It gave me my first really good shave with no cuts or irritation (I saw the light!).

It taught me technique.

Every blade I've tried in it works fine.

Less passes for a DFS.

This is the DE razor I use the most (maybe 90% of the time), and cannot recommend it enough.
The only thing I don't like is having to check the blade alignment every time I change blades. Otherwise, it's perfect!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
every day for the last 11 months. And I've certainly enjoyed it. I've found Crystals to be the best blades for this razor. I use two Crystals per week. Can't get much more cost effective than that.
For comparison purposes, I also own a future, a 34c, a superspeed, and a lady gillette. Just today a new 23c arrived in the mail. Also, I use provence de sante and institute karite shave soap. I put those french pucks in wcs' aluminum tins. Perfect for travel, and they last for YEARS.
On to the review,...

For price I give this razor a 9. Big hefty handle; it was a good buy, I think, at $37 from wcs.

Quality gets an 8, because the blades cannot be set perfectly square in the razor. Certainly it's close enough, but not perfect. I actually considered giving a 7 on this score.

User friendly, 8. I don't downgrade this razor because it's not as easy as a TTO. No, I give it an 8 because of the previously mentioned difficulty in aligning the blade properly.

Grip, I give the Slanthammer a 9. Might be a 9.5 even. I have small hands, and I love the weight, grip, length, and balance of this razor.

Ease of blade replacement, I give a 7. Really, I'd give it a 5, but in the end, this razor shaves so well I just don't care. This razor gives a great shave, difficulties be damned.

Aggressiveness 10. I don't need anything more, lol. It's perfect for BBS shaves.

Balance, 9. I love the balance. It's so heavy in the handle. If you'll only, (ever so gently), let the handle pull the head around your face, it will mow your beard in the most amazing way.

I really believe I've learned how to shave with my Slant. It's forced me into using good technique, finding the proper blade, as well as balms, et al, that a man will need if he's going after the daily BBS shave.

So, after using the Slanthammer every day for nearly a year, it is my favorite BBS razor. I like it so much I went ALMOST a YEAR before I bought another razor.:001_tt1: That being said,..

I have lately determined that variety might well be the best bet. After all, who really needs a BBS shave every single day? Wouldn't a DFS do most days? Wouldn't a rotation of my favorite razors work best? I deserve a new razor, don't I?

So with that in mind I'm going to continue my quest for shaving perfection.
Next up is the longhandled, three piece, 23c.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I am a Progress user who was getting a little annoyed at how many passes certain areas of my beard were taking to get smooth. My beard is pretty wiry and coarse, but not super thick or fast growing, and it grows in many directions on my neck area. Thus I started looking into slant bar razors. After reading up on the regular Merkur slant and the 39C (long-handle), I decided to pull the trigger on the 39C.

It's definitely a more efficient shaving mechanism than a regular DE, that is to say it slices through hairs with greater ease (I read this is due to the 'scything' action). It is on the more aggressive side, but smoother as compared to my Progress when opened up wide, or as compared to a Shavette. You definitely have to be careful with it, so I would only recommend for someone who has refined their DE technique in advance. I have a raised mole on my cheek and I inadvertently hacked into it during my first shave with the 39C. It bled for quite a while :) So watch out for that if you have moles, and otherwise just take your time and use light pressure.

As far as results, I would say that overall I get a slightly better shave, with less passes than my Progress. In particular my challenging neck area gets shaved smoother, and with less irritation, with the 39C. This is a huge win for me and makes the razor worth the price of admission! YMMV, of course :) Note: I have only other razors I've used are the Progress, and a Shavette, so my basis for comparison is pretty narrow.

The razor is of high build quality, and has excellent grip when wet. I also enjoy the long handle and extra heft. As for balance, but this razor feels just right to me. I like that it is a 2-piece instead of 3-piece as well.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
i just got mine in today along with an hd from wcs. Slapped in a brand new bic blade and went to town with some dr harris marlborough.

To be honest, i was a little dissapointed with the feel of the razors, the handles felt a little bit lighter than i expected.

Price 9-i got a good deal on it at wcs.

Quality 8- eh, a littel dissapointed when i saw it in person, looks better in a picture

userfriendly 8- i had a ***** of a time geting the blade to be exposed to the same amount on both sides, tighten loosen, shift, repeat. at first i was terrified i had a bad razor from the factory, bu hey it lined up and shaved great.

Grip 10- the big long heafty handle and the knurling felt beautiful in my hand. The heaft was welcome, and just demolished my stubble.

ease of blade replacement 6-again, the whole pain in the *** with shifting the blade around so the exposure is even on both sides.

balance 10- its not that its a particularly balance razor, but the heaft helps me get a better feel for the weight distribution and adjust acordingly.

All in all, this gave me a shave miles above my vintage gilletes, and is probably the best shave i've had. It demolished stube on my neck, and only had to blade buff in a few spots to get bbs. The rest of the strokes were striaght n/e/s/w orientations. no nicks or cuts, only a ttiny weeper when i was going atg and snagged one of the 2 week long hairs in my goatee. That stopped bleeding before my touch up pass.

I liked the bic blade, but i don't think its the right fit for this razor, it was a tad bit rougher than i would have liked. I don't think it was sharp enough for the agressiveness of this razor, so i'll throw in a blude bird/astra and then if necessary feather after the bic is spent. Contrary to what people have dubbed satans razor, i think this badboy is best suited for a sharp/flexible blade with all the exposure it gets.

All in all, you get a quality shaving tool that provides results. The craftsman ship is nowhere close to the vintage Gillette, but by today's standards is acceptable. The handle is a godsend. The shave, unparalleled by any non-adjustable i've used.

If you physically resemble a bear, with huge paws and tons of thick, coarse, fur this tool is a must have.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Bought this from Lee's Razors because I have heard many good things. I also heard that one should be afraid of the aggressiveness of this razor. I think we should respect not fear the 39c. used it twice with no problems. This is my second DE I have purchased the first being a Futur. I think I like the Sledgehammer better.:thumbup:
Hans: "The Slant has attracted a small but rabid following over in the US. Some of them even put Feathers in the thing! What shall we do next?"

Fritz: "Make it bigger! Americans like big things. Teddy Roosevelt said so."

Hans: "Won't that unbalance our elegant design?"

[Silence]

Fritz: "I've got it! Let's name it something big, masculine, something that fits with the carnivorous profile. Americans love aggressive names. Tigers, lions, bears... that'll do it. Balance, schmalance."

Hans: "Animals and advertising don't do well over there, unless it's kittens or puppies. Doesn't fit the profile. Something masculine.... Maybe....The Peacekeeper?"

Fritz: "Taken. Also doesn't fit the profile"

[Silence]

Hans: "The Hammer of God!"

Fritz: "They love them some God, but not in advertising... or government."

Hans: "The Screwdriver? The ladder?"

Fritz: "The Ball-peen? The Hatchet? The Axe? No... Hammer... Hammer..."

Hans: "The Sledge hammer!"

Fritz: "Perfect! 50 pfennigs worth of steel, 50 marks premium. Let's just use the barberpole handle... we won't even have to retool! They'll buy 'em as fast as we can make 'em."

Hans: "Maybe we're underestimating our friends in America.... I mean, twisting the blade like that was already pushing it...."

[Silence. Then laughter.]
Take care: The lion is out of his cage. Very aggressive, don´t use with feather blades, only if you want to commit suicide.:biggrin:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The 39C is a great, if flawed, razor. I'll give verbals for each category since the poorly thought-out point system is rendered useless by its ambiguity.

Price: Okay. My two cheapest razors were $2.50 apiece (Tech and Slim). Half an hour of work turned them into like-new beauties. The Feather Cobra and Merkur Vision are over $100. This one is ~$40. I'll give it a 7.

Quality: From a distance, beautiful. But the blade guard is not perfectly finished. Compared to the varied, intricate handles of vintage Gillettes, the spiral pattern seems a bit rough (on the fingers) and primitive. It is still a handsome razor though. An 8.

User Friendly: I was a bit paranoid the first first shaves while using a Feather blade. But it's been pretty much all bark and no bite. I've nicked myself worse with other razors. Really, I should be talking about that under Aggressiveness. Anything I want to say about User Friendly falls under the last five categories. There should be clarification and examples for every category to make the aggregate point scores meaningful.

Grip: This is the only razor where I've had it slip in my hand (not _out_ of my hand). The vertical spiral on the handle is no friend to soap and water, which is probably why on every other razor I've seen the grip lines are more horizontal. That may be why Merkur made the grooves so rough. I get the feeling that if I rubbed my thumb hard enough down the spiral, I might cut myself. Probably wouldn't, but that's probably the source of my very mild discomfort. Undoubtedly a better grip than a perfectly smooth handle, so a 5 or 6.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Just because this is obviously more difficult to change than a Gillette TTO (10) does not make this a 9. First off, after much experimenting, I still find it easier to change out a Tech. Also, and much more seriously, I, the user, have to manually align the blade each time to ensure it is parallel with the blade guards. I couldn't believe this when I noticed it. I ran through all my Gillettes (the only other brand of DE that I have) and could not make them misalign the blade. A very generous 5.

Aggressiveness: This razor is aggressive. I don't like aggressive, should I give it a 1? I love aggressiveness, should I give it a 10. Is that number good, is it bad? It is aggressive. I like that. I give it a 10.

Adjustability: N/A. I suppose you could put a shim under the blade, but you'd better have a medic and the Red Cross standing by.

Balance: This one is tricky. My Gillettes, Schick and Mach III (I believe) all have a center of mass at the top of the handle. I am used to this and like it. The 39C's is further down the handle. I cannot say that this bothers me though. It is easy to shave with. I suspect that the length of the handle is a little unnecessary for me and that I might have prefered the shorter model. It's kinda like driving a Cadillac around my face. A Super Speed would be like a zippy, maneuverable sports car. The long handled Super Adjustable is similar, but more agile a shaver. Still, the balance is good. A 7 or 8.

Conclusion: For all my criticisms, the 39C loaded with a fresh Feather is the smoothest, most comfortable shaver I own. I suspect the shorter Slant would idealize the experience. Overall, I look forward to using it just a smidge more than my others.
Price - not too bad

Quality - nice heavy tool though a little weird looking

User Friendly - despite all the warnings, I don't think this is a razor to be worried about. Same rule applies for all DE razors, use care. (See aggressiveness)

Grip - same as all the barberpole series, not too bad. Mine has never slipped out of my hand .

Ease of Blade Replacement - simple

Aggressiveness - this is a quite aggressive razor, leaves my skin so soft and smooth. I love how it catches all the lather.

Balance - fine

This is a great razor, I use Merkur, Astra and Derby blades in mine. Have not found the need to use Feathers though will give it a shot, one day.

- Aaron
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
The razor is too heavy to use and very inconvenient. I like the regular HD slant or vintage ones much better.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I did expect 39C to work better than any other regular safety razor primarily due to its design: The slant head acts like a scythe and thus should mow whiskers in the most efficient manner. The results, however, exceeded my expectations: Just two passes and -- voila! -- I got a BBS. I am not sure why people are afraid to use it, but if your technique is good, this razor is simply awesome. That said, you still need a regular, i.e., non-slant version to adjust the sides if you keep them parallel to the ground. Hence 38C + 39C is probably the best combination to get a picture-perfect BBS as quickly as possible.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)