What's new

Merkur 38C

Pros: Smooth shave, great blade angle, very forgiving
Cons: None
I love this razor. I find it has the perfect weight and balance for a zero pressure shave. It looks great on my brush and razor stand. Solid product I think it will last forever under normal use. Also it rinses very easily and does not clog up a big pet peeve. Buy it you wont be disappointed.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Build quality, affordability, closeness of shave
Cons: None apparent
My only basis of comparison is a Parker 99R, which I love, and which is, IMO, considerably more aggressive. I, short, I have found the Merkur 38C to be a mild shave (in contrast to others' opinions). It has never nicked me and is very comfortable both on the face and in the hand. A BBS requires 4 passes for me, but that may be attributable to the geometry of my beard growth.

Blade replacement could not be more simple and the razor is easy to clean, which I do about every 2 weeks, just to keep it looking pristine.

I am very pleased with the Merkur 38C and recommend it without reservation to those seeking a well made, mild razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great balance, nice to look at, reliable daily shaver
Cons: Maybe a bit heavy for some users, machining tolerances are only a little better than mediocre
The Merkur 38C is a nice looking, fairly well built 2 piece DE. It is quite heavy but well balanced and it does not take long to get used to.

It seems to work well with a wide range of blades though I settled on feathers in mine.

This razor always left me with more "trouble spots" on each side of my neck than others which always led to extra touch up which, on occasion, would cause irritation on those spots. I never had this issue with a 34C and so I have to assume that my hand was just not the right size for the handle length though I could get a closer shave with the 38C due to the extra weight.

My biggest issue with this razor (and pretty much all Merkurs I have tried) is that you always have to be vigilant with your blade positioning. Their pins are too narrow and they are happy to accept your blade at any number of odd angles and symmetries. This isn't the end of the world, it isn't hard to adjust and get the blade seated correctly, but for some reason the added step always kind of annoyed me.

The 38C was my first DE razor and so I learned on it and used it longer than any razor other than my slant. It did its job well and I would recommend it to someone looking for a good price on a heavy razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Gorgeous
My first razor, so this is not going to mean anything to the seasoned wet shavers out there. However, if you are looking to start shaving with a DE, then this is the ticket. This spectacular German export has great grip when you are fresh out of the shower. Changing the blades is really simple and pretty quick. It is a lot like a quality guitar or firearm, you can feel it when you grab it.

The reason aggressiveness is low is because it seems to have almost zero effect under my chin until the second pass. Also, adjustability is a 1 because it is not an adjustable razor.

Again, this is my first safety razor. But I am in love with it. Recommend the 38C for anyone looking to get in this addicting and healthy habit.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
If you started shaving with an adjustable don't buy a fixed style safety razor, it will drive you nuts not getting as close of a shave. it feels like a 3 or 4 if your using an adjustable, I like setting my adjustable to a 9 so if you like it that close stick with adjustable's.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Looks, feeling, simplicity
Cons: Agressiveness
Very nice looks and balance, quality always to Merkur standatrds. Feels aggressive, however, when compared to the Merkur Futur; the open comb design might be a possible reason for this.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Heavy needs no pressure to get great shave
Cons: Slippery the texture is slick with soap or cream on it
My first new razor. Before this I used a vintage Gillette President. This is more aggressive and better balanced. It is harder to hold with no deep knurling to keep it from slipping with lather on your hand but no real problem. The weight is perfect for a beginner to use no pressure and get a smooth irritation free shave with a good blade.
This is my 2nd favorite next to my Merkur Progress.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Size and weight
Cons: Size and weight
This was my second all time DE razor and it's a good one. I started on the 37 slant and had just a bit of trouble when I rushed things a bit. Picked up the 38 for some variety and was not disappointed, but the 37 and 38 are like night and day.

I'd give it a medium aggressiveness even with a a very sharp blade. A nice solid razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Love the handle, it's nice and long and has good weight.
I like this razor and got it as my first DE after reading reviews here. It was very easy to find the right blade angle even though I am new. I liked the weight as it was heavy enough to feel like it was doing its thing without me having to use any pressure.

I have large hands and also severe arthritis particularly in my hands and wrists and found the razor easy to use and not too cumbersome to manoeuvre around my face.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: This is my first DE so I do not have anything to compare it to.
Cons: I can't find where to insert the battery and the on/off button is missing
It is hard to give a numerical rating since I am new to wet shaving and DE razors. I am still working on finding the right pre shave prep, technique and blades.

In just a week I get the smoothest shaves in my life. I like the weight of the razor it make feel like a graduated from toy 5 blade monstrosity and it reminds me to not use any pressure.

It has been easy to learn with the razor and I am surprised at how little blood I have drawn.

I have the barber pole model but I wish I had the shorter model. It is kind of hard to shave under my nose.

I am still looking for the on/off button or where to put the battery.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: The Wieght and Handle Lenght
Cons: None
Price: Rating 8
Hey…what can I say…for $35.00 (used, but in ‘mint’ condition from a B & B member), including shipping…I’d say I got a real good deal. Also, what makes the 38C so attractive is that the razor is almost half of the retail price new :thumbup1:

Quality: Rating 9
This attractive ‘classic style’ Razor has a straight bar (has been said to be ideal for my ‘sensitive’ skin), closed comb, non-adjustable 2-piece unit. I have been using this Razor for months now and I’m really pleased with this Razor. Although not Stainless Steel like a Feather Razor (which I do not own), the chrome plating on this razor and cutting head is applied well with no noticeable spots of uneven coating.

User Friendly: Rating 9
I believe one the best aspect of this Razor is the weight. Although a monster :letterk1: at 4.0 oz, it’s a real ‘ultra-heavy weight’, which is a ‘plus’ for ease of my daily shave.

Grip: Rating 9
The ‘non-slip tooling’ grip on this Razor is very ‘sure’ even when wet and the handle is long enough to ‘fit’ even the Wet-Shaver with ‘Bear Claws’ for hands. With a handle length of 4 inches (for better shaving reach and mobility), this is the neatest thing about this Razor…it just feels perfect in my hand.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Rating 8
The ease of Blade replacement is ‘quick, easy and flawless’ (but please do be careful :blink: ), with the 2-piece ‘sandwich type’, ‘load / change’ system operating with no slippage and/or creakiness’ and the razor head unit is ‘tight’ when closed using the knob on the end.

Aggressiveness: Rating 8
This Razors performance in terms of aggressiveness is outstanding, depending on the ‘angle’ you use. The cutting action of the razor is a bit more aggressive than I expected due to its heavy feel as I held the razor by the’ knob’, but the 38C delivered a solid shaving performance. By far, with care it is neither too aggressive nor too mild (it is just a 'tad more aggressive than my Merkur 23C).

Adjustability: Rating 8
The blade on both sides of the razor head unit excels in that it is evenly exposed.

Balance: Rating 9
This ‘Barber Pole’ razor is beautiful to say the least and a ‘beauty to behold’. It’s heavy enough not to affect the balance and in my opinion it is a very well made and enjoyable Razor to use.

Christopher :straight: Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape. Anonymous
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I didn't have high expectations when I bought this razor but I was surprised at how well this razor shaves. The razor weighs about four ounces and it has a beautiful Barber Pole handle. The best thing about this razor is that it has the perfect aggressiveness and yet it is also forgiving. I generally prefer aggressive razors such as the Merkur Slants but I appreciate how easy it is to shave with the 38C.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I love my 38 C Merkur razor. I like the 2 piece design, blades drops right into alignment on mine, w/o any manipulation at all. It works great with the blades I prefer, which are Crystals, Sharps, Astras, Feathers. Its weighted enough to just let the razor coast down the face and shear off 2-3 days worth of growth easily. I get a good combo of leverage from the added length and the natural weight of razor, I think in conjuction helps slice through my thick hard as nails facial hair. Mine is beautifully coated, no flaws from factory to mention. It is a wonderful razor, and I would recommend to beginners or to anybody on the fence about purchasing one. It's my daily go to shaver, for now...........(Mergress is on the way, will let yall know)
The balance on this razor is not to my liking.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
I love my Merkur 38c. This is the first DE razor I bought, back in August 2007, and it has remained my favorite since. I used this razor exclusively up until the beginning of this year.

I have 2 black handled Gillette super speeds, an early 50s Gillette super speed, a 50s Gillette flare tip super speed, a 1966 Gillette Lady, a Gillette Red Tip, a modern Gillette plastic handled Platinum razor from India, and a cheapo Concord Razor. The only razor to come close to the Merkur for me is the Gillette Red Tip. So it seems that I like fairly aggressive razors.

The blade gap on the 38c is perfect for me. The gap is wide enough that I must use a light touch to not nick myself with Feather/Kai blades, but that's something I appreciate. I seem to get great results with most of my blades. It's also a lot easier for me to tell how sharp a blade is with this razor, versus milder razors like the Gillette Lady. I use a light touch and let the weight of the razor do the work. I can easily tell when my blades are dull....

For me this razor is the perfect combination of blade gap, weight, handle length, and balance.

I'm fairly happy with the grip, but I think I would prefer a more traditional knurled pattern.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
God, this is such an awesome razor - my best purchase of 2009. As can be seen in my ratings, this gets 10s across the board (for Aggressiveness because it's aggressive enough for me).

After having spent a month or so using a Wilkinson Sword Classic, using my Merkur 38c was practically a religious experience. Admittedly I still had a bit to learn (most important lesson - my face cannot take ATG passes, since giving them up, my shaving experience has improved by a gajillion percent :thumbup: ). I was a bit worried that maybe I should have bought a Merkur HD instead, but the size and heft of the 38c have proven to be ideal for me. In fact, this razor nipped my RAD in the bud - I can't imagine owning another one, I simply love shaving with this too much.

Very highly recommended, especially when purchased in a starter kit from traditionalshaving.co.uk.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have had my 38 c for a few weeks now. I also picked up a fatboy a week ago . I love them both but the 38 c gives me a closer shave.
Have been using mine for about 2 weeks & love it. Shaves as good as anything I have ever used. I'm 66 & have always been a wet shaver. Went back to DE because costs of multi-blades got out of hand. Glad I did. They are much better all around. Had been using the others for about a year & had many problems. DE are much better & will stay with them.....

This Merkur is the best I have ever used. Have 7/8 other razors & still use my tech's a few times a week, but the Merkur beats the fatboys (have 3).

This is my regular go to razor.
My first safety razor. Very well made and balanced which helps promote proper technique.
Before I started DE shaving I read a lot of reviews and I went for the 38 C with Feather blades. I thought why not go for the best at once, and I don`t regret:biggrin:

This is a beautiful razor with a classic design, and I loved shaving with it from day one. I used Fitjar Amber shaving soap, a Simpson Tulip 3 and Fitjar Neroli aftershave cream and got BBS with three passes. When you first experience this feeling there is no way back.

It cannot get any better than BBS, so I am not looking for another DE razor and probably never will. I have started learning shaving with Straight razors also, but the 38 C is still used and I love it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)