What's new

Merkur 33c Classic Double Edge Razor

Pros: Well balanced, not overly aggressive
Cons: Blade changing
This was my first foray into DE shaving and I purchased this razor after doing a fair amount of research. Overall, this is a good first razor. It is well balanced and easy to grip even with wet, soapy hands. The quality of the shave is very good, not too aggressive or too mild. I do find that have to pay close attention to my technique however, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The biggest drawback is the blade replacement. The blades tend to stick on the posts a little bit and they can be a little tricky to get off. But this is probably true of most three piece razors. Overall, I would recommend this razor for anyone who is starting out.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Cost, Closeness of Shave
Cons: Balance, Agressiveness
This was my second DE razor after my Merkur 34C. I use the 33C about 40+ percent of the time, my 34C about 50 percent, and the other 10 percent or so is for when I'm out of town (Gillette Good News Disposible) or using my Sabi Gen TTO.

While I like the 33C, and I will continue to use it, there are a couple things I would change:

*I would prefer a heavier handle. The truth be told, if the 34C were a 3 piece razor, I would be set for life.

*Even though most people find the 33C to be as agressive or even less agressive than the 34C, I find the reverse to be true. Using the same blades in both, the 33C seems to require just a little more attention to detail from me to avoid a nick or razor burn. The good news is that the 33C consistently gives me a closer shave than the 34C.

I've developed a liking for 3 piece razors because they have fewer moving parts and- in theory- have less that can go wrong with them. The 33C has reinforced my belief. Other than looking for an after market handle to satisfy my need for a heavier grip, I plan on keeping my 33C for a very long time.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, compact, light
Cons: not very aggressive
This is my first and so far only DE razor. I'm impressed with how much better it is than any mach 3 or gilette fusion and it will serve me well for years to come, however I'm not that impressed with how agreesive the razor is. I usually need 4 passes plus touchups to get real BBS shaves. I will try feather blades to see if a 3 pass shave is possible. I'll definately keep this razor for travel because of how light it is, but I'm already looking for a more aggressive stablemate for it.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
The 33c is the razor I keep coming back to.

Price - readily available from multiple sources, this razor won't break the bank. There is value for the dollar here.

Quality - Merkurs are not top of the line, nor are they bargin bin tools either. The 33c is a reasonably made razor.

User Friendly - the grip, balance, and feel of the 33c make it a delight to hold and use. The light weight of the razor makes no pressure passes a breeze.

Grip - the shaft is textured for a sure grip, and the pommel, yes it has a pommel, also provides grip surface.

Blade Replacement - not so great, it is a three piece razor afterall. The design forces your fingers into close proximity to the cutting edge when changing blades in and out.

Aggressiveness - the 33c is a mild mannered razor. It shaves nicely, but is not aggressive, which I consider a plus.

Adjustability - there is none.

Balance - the head and shaft balance out well. This razor is light in the hand and easy to use.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
The Merkur 33C is aptly named as a "classic" with its lines reminiscent of the Gillette three piece safety razors of the early 1900's. The handle looks like it belongs on a 1907 Single Ring and the head has the sleek, low profile shape of a Tech. The knurled handle provided a solid slip-resistant grip while shaving with wet and soapy fingers.

Unlike the open comb design of its distant relative from the last century, the head of the 33C has a solid guard bar providing a smoother, less agressive shave. Matched with its relatively expensive and much maligned symbiant Merkur blade, the 33C will provide a DFS to BBS shave to those with light to moderate beard density and coarseness. Derby and Red IP blades in the 33C gave me a BBS shave on a consistent basis.

Although roughly the same size of the earlier Gillettes including the 40's and 50's style Super Speeds, the head and handle of the 33C is slightly longer by 1/16" and 1/8", respectively. I didn't have a scale to compare the weight of the 33C to the Super Speeds but surprisingly, the 33C felt just a little bit lighter. Its balance point seemed to be the same as the Super Speeds, the transition area from the neck to the shoulder on the handle.

It's chrome plated finish moves easily through lather and across the face and maneuvers well for those hard to get areas.

However, the 33C gets a low rating in the category of blade replacement. I have never been a fan of the three piece design simply because of the potential for injury involved when you have to handle a blade. I would give this rating to any three piece razor. Otherwise, the lack of moving parts and simple lines makes this a very well made razor. It would be nice if the razor's manufacturer, Dovo of Solingen, Germany, decided to package its razors in hard plastic cases or leather pouches or something other than a flimsy cardboard box.

A 6 rating for aggressiveness is not intended as a slight against this sturdy shaver. Again, this razor will suit you well if you have an average beard growth. Those with thicker and/or coarser beards may wish to consider its heavier siblings, the 34HD and 37 Slant.

Readily available from many online retailers and at prices ranging from $25 to $32, the 33C is a great entry level razor for those new to DE wetshaving.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
My 33c was the first DE that I used after a 15 or so year hiatus from using one (learned using Dad's old 1960s Super Speed).

I used the 33c for the better part of two months, and never really had much good luck with it. I found getting the head angle against my face to be quite difficult, and I frequently scraped or cut myself or otherwise irritated my face.

It's a nice piece of equipment though. The build quality is on par with the older Gillettes, and it's well balanced, easy to hang on to, and inexpensive.

Compared to a cartridge razor, it's great, but compared with a Gillette Fatboy, Slim Adjustable or any of the Super Speeds, it comes up a little short.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
This has been my primary (for the most part only) razor for about the past year and a half after many years of adjustable & non-adjustable SS's, disposables and for a short time, electric.
I think this is the ideal "middle of the road" razor for the newbie or the longtime wet shaver with "average" beard thickness and coarseness and "average" size hands.
The relatively low score for aggressiveness means "just right" to let the weight of the razor alone do the job comfortably with three+ passes.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This was my first razor I used after switching to wet shaving. I still use it regularly in my rotation. This razor has worked great as it has great balance and the right aggressiveness for me. It feels well made and should last a lifetime. I found mine for about $28 online so cheaper and more expensive razors can be found but I feel it was well worth it. I would recommend this razor to anyone.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I usually use a Progress, but occasionally like to use my 33c. I find it gives a great shave with a good blade and proper attention to technique. I prefer the Progress, which feels like a club after using the 33c. I think the word classic is a good description for the 33c, simple, light weight and a good value for its price.:wink:
This razor was and is my first DE razor. It gave me a nick-free, irritation-free first shave. It neatly slices the hairs of a well hydrated face and with proper angle it is very forgiving. The blade replacement is not the same as that on a HD since this is a 3-piece. The head is rather large compared to the body but it does not affect the balance a whole lot. You can usually find this razor for 30 dollars online, and is a great price for a tool that can last a lifetime.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)