What's new

Merkur 23

Great for beginners. Sadly not as aggressive as I need, so I switched to a Mühle R89 (same head as EJ DE89x) which has a slightly larger blade gab. The long handle is nice at first, but once your technique improves, it's not really needed and you never actually touch the last 1 cm, I've found.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Simple to use, Ideal for a beginner
Cons: limited agressivity
A lot of forums recommend the 34 or HD however that one was a lot more expensive. I thus chose the 23c for the blade configuration and not the handle.

As it turns out the Merkur is very easy to use. Loading a blade is perhaps a little more fiddly than with a TTO type but the shave it gives is far better than my Gillette Mach 3 ever gave me and that is on the first pass. The long handle suits me as I have large hands.

I'm already using Palmolive Classic shaving cream (complete with a bowl and badger hair brush). That already improved the Mach 3 shave far beyond aerosol based foams but using the Merkur really took my shave to a new level.

Right from the beginning using this Murker confirms to me that DE shaving eliminates razor burn and irritable skin. Why the majority of men use cartridges is beyond me... Gentlemen - Go back to safety razors!

The one thing I regret is that there's nothing to adjust. Once the technique is down that's it, the Merkur stops there.

I would like to shave with a little bit more blade so it seems I need to move to an adjustable model such as a Futur or one of the vintage gillettes.

Overall recommended for the beginner - it's never hurt me (that said YMMV!)
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: A great close shave and a well balanced razor
Cons: None
I bought this as an upgrade to my beloved Lord L6. The lord has a Merkur style head and a long handle, albeit aluminium, so this seemed to be the model to choose.

I have absolutely no issues with the Lord, nothing could shave me better, but it's a cheap razor, and human nature being what it is then there is the price/quality association.

Not disappointed, this gives me the same great results, feels more substantial being heavier, and the long handle gives superb grip. The balance is perfect, and it looks good on the eye.

Like the Lord, it tames any blade, and whilst my go to seems to be the Lord Superchrome, I have used feather, treet platinum, wilkinson sword classic and Tesco personnas blades with good effect. I am not sure whether this means it's mild or aggressive, but whatever it means it's smooth and comfortable and leaves my skin in a good state.

In short, I got my Lord upgrade. This will be my day to day razor, and the Lord will do the Travelling, which is actually a compliment for both.

I heartily recommend the Merkur 23c to anyone who needs a DE razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
OK, my first review on here, and i decided it should be on the product i used the most. i figured it not to be fair to write on a soap i've only used 4 times or so.

Price: at 28€ it's in the league of a cartridge razor; yet a lot more sturdy; i figured it to be fair

Quality: excellent, does what it needs to without useless frills; same for the packaging.

User Friendly: it's a basic razor; again; does it's job without frills

Grip: excellent! very grippy even when you have soapy hands

ease of blade replacement: being a three piece unit; it could be better; but is perfectly adequate if you're a bit carefull with the blades.

Aggressiveness: to me more agressive isn't better since i have a very sensitive skin.
if i were to rate it on a scale of 0 being a spatula to 10 a meat slicer it'd probably end up around 3 to 4.
it gets 10 on this scale because i like the level of aggressiveness.

Adjustability :it has none

Balance if held ~2 cm below the head it is perfectly balanced to me; again a good rating.
I haven't used shorter handled ones to compare it to though.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Lightness and Length
Cons: None
Price: Rating 9
Hey…what can I say…for around 29 bucks w/ ‘free shipping’ from "The Superior Shave"; I’d say I got a real good deal :thumbup1:

http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/index.html

Quality: Rating 8
This beautiful German ‘classic style’ Razor has a straight bar (which according to Merkur is ideal for my ‘sensitive’ skin), closed comb, non-adjustable 3-piece unit (this is a standard 3-part razor design, with a short screw mounting the razor head to the handle). I have been using this for many weeks now and I’m really pleased with this Razor. Although not Stainless Steel like a Feather Razor (which I do not own), I believe their design with brass over chrome plating / finish could stand up with the best and more expensive Razors out there.

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".
proxy.php

User Friendly: Rating 9
I believe one the best aspect of this Razor is the weight… Although not a monster :letterk1: , but at 2.0 oz, it has average weight which is a ‘plus’ for ease of my ‘daily’ shave.

Grip: Rating 9
The ‘non-slip tooling’ grip on this Razor is very ‘sure’ even when wet and the handle is long enough to ‘fit’ even the Wet-Shaver with ‘Bear Claws’ for hands. At a total length of 4 inches long, this is what is the neatest thing about this Razor…it just feels perfect in my hand.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Rating 9
The ease of Blade replacement is ‘quick, easy and flawless’ (please do be careful :blink:), with the 3-piece ‘sandwich type’, ‘load / change’ system operating with no slippage and/or creakiness’ and the razor head unit is ‘tight’ when closed using the knob on the end.

Aggressiveness: Rating 8
This Razors performance in terms of aggressiveness is outstanding, depending on the ‘angle’ you use. By far, it is neither too aggressive nor too mild (but a 'tad' less aggressive than my Merkur 38C).

Adjustability: Rating 8
The blade on both sides of razor head unit excels in that it is evenly exposed (I use “Shark Super Chrome).

Balance: Rating 8
Another area where this Razor shines is that it has incredible balance allowing me to hold it in different ways; depending on the area of my face and the direction I am shaving :thumbup:

Christopher :straight: "Laughter is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This was my DE razor and I bought it for $36 total. I purchased the 23C instead of the 34C (HD) because I read that the only difference between the two razors is the length of the handle with the 23C having the longer handle. Wrong. The 23C doesn't feel right in my hand because it doesn't have the great balance of the HD. I almost quit DE shaving because I couldn't get a comfortable shave with this razor. I think the balance of a razor is very important.

I also had to pay close attention to loading the blade evenly in this razor. I should have bought the 34C or a vintage Gillette as my first DE razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
D
This bad boy runs a very close second to my EJ89L. The tie breaker is the fit and finish of the EJ89L. The 23C is a pleasure to use - great shaves, nice balance, good weight.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
as perfect as these razors could be for me. My favorite non-adjustable.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This is my go-to razor. If I could have the perfect razor, it would be this one with a slightly fatter handle. Why can't we have BOTH a long-handle razor and heft?
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This was my first razor when I was introduced to double edge shaving, and for a long while I never considered getting another as it was giving me great shaves. Finally I felt the need to see what else is out there, and got a couple flair tip superspeeds, a 50s gillette tech, and a gillette new. After giving all of these vintage gillettes a good trial, I finally realized that the Merkur 23c was a better shaver than all of them, at least for me.

What I like about it is first off, the handle is longer than most other razors. I have big hands, and holding the standard size razors are awkward to me. Second, this razor is just the right amount of aggressiveness for me. I load a gillette 7oclock yellow into it and it gives me a smooth BBS and comfortable shave. Its a forgiving razor, unless you press too hard with it, then you are going to get razor burn.

As far as the triple head set up, its a little more difficult to change blades, compared to say, a superspeed. But this is more than made up for, IMO, by the smaller profile of the head allowing you to shave more easily under the nose. Also the small head gives much better feedback, so that you can hear, and feel the hairs being cut, compared to a superspeed.

As far as comparisons with other three pieces, the new was too aggressive for me, the gillette tech was too mild, and the 23c falls into the perfect mid range between to two of these, at least for me.

So, soon I will be selling my two flair tips, and my gillette new, and my gillette tech because the 23c is the one for me.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
The mekur 23c is the first DE razor I ever purchased and now a year into wet shaving I have to say it is the best razor that I have tried.

I really like the longer handle and with a weight of 2.4 oz it is perfectly balanced IMHO.

At around $30 and readily available online it makes a excellent beginner DE razor. If you are a veteran wet shaver and have not tried a 23c get your hands on one and I am sure it will become a staple in your rotation.

YMMV but Derbys are what works best in this razor for me.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Is this razor also known as the Merkur 180?
Price: under $30 brand new, it doesn't get much cheaper.

Quality: Top notch. All parts fit perfect, no machine/tool marks, tight tolerances.

User Friendly: Quite! The longer handle gives me a better grip and makes the tool feel like an extension of my hand.

Grip: It's not going anywhere, even when covered in lather.

Ease of Blade Replacement: well, it's not a TTO or a "2-piece", so I had to deduct some points. Still, I've never cut myself changing a blade.

Aggressiveness: Perfect for me, but YMMV! I have fine-to-average whiskers, not coarse or thick by any stretch. This razor mows them down with no problem.

Balance: This is where this razor shines, for me. It has incredible balance allowing me to hold it many different ways depending on the area of my face and the direction I am shaving. I believe an earlier review likened it to a surgical tool, which is a very accurate description.

Notes: I get incredible shaves with the 23c and a Personna Red Pack blade. Derbys are very good as well. I haven't felt the need to try a sharper blade with it, based on my personal variables.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I have two DE's at the moment this one and an Old Gillette, this is a very nice looking razor with good balance, it give me a very good shave and it's my daily razor, I have acquired RAD so I know I'll be using other razors in the future, but this one will always be in my rotation.:biggrin:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
My first DE and my least favorite.

I don't like Merkur fixed heads for some reason, and I find this one to be too top-heavy.

It is, however, a very gorgeous and robust long-handled razor that I intend to keep for the sake of those properties...
This is the finest DE I've tried to date. (Sampled so far: Gillette Flare Tip SS, Red Tip, Blue Tip, Fat Boy, Black Handled Flare Tip, Merkur Futur and HD.)

The multiple categories above don't allow me to adequately praise the most important feature of the razor - the shave. It's close, and yet the LHC glides over the skin in a very forgiving manner, providing a lot of tactile feedback. I switched to the Long Handled version after working for many months with the shorter handled version. These two razors shave similarly, but the longer handle provides a slightly more to grip. Both also are quite forgiving if you're off a bit with your blade angle.

Unlike others here, I find the Open Comb version of this razor to be very different to work with. More aggressive, (no surprise), but the correct blade angle seems a little harder to find. Somehow there isn't as much tactile feedback as with the OC version. It's too easy for me to be steep or shallow with blade angle on the OC.

New or more experienced, the Classic and LHC should be the first choice for a DE razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
The famous Merkur 23C or the Long Handle Classic is a must, of course!! € 22 for it..nice price i think. I consider myself this razor superior to his twin the 34C HD...same head (mine without comb) but longer handle. This is the razor i will recommend to a newbie...not the 34C HD or even the Progress. And why? Because all the guys who came from other parishs (fusions and other multiblades) to our DE wetshave church :lol: have in mind all the handles are longs... First a DE long handle, and if they like, then a short one...it's the best method to begin the prayer of every morning.

Anyway perfect razor, price OK, built to last, non aggressive, perfect grip with or without soap in hands, balance excellent. The first days you will have some reserves (TTO is better of course...)to change the blade...caution...but after that everything is OK.Just a minor question.

That said, this is the razor i will recommend to any newbie who wants to introduce himself to this world without worries.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
After trying many razors, with the Merkur Futur being the most expensive; I choose to shave with the 23C. For my hands its the correct length and weight. When I travel and use a short DE, I just don't feel as confident as with the 23C. the fit and finish on this Merkur product is great. I can't say the the same about the crappy 3 piece Parker I just got in the mail. Since its one of the least expensive DEs out there I would recommend this model for those with sensitive skin. It performs very well with all blades and I give it my highest recommendation after trying a dozen other DE razors. Best!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is a great razor. The slender and longer pole make it perfect for those with large hands. The head is the same as that of the Merkur HD/34c and makes this a 'middle of the road' razor in terms of aggressiveness. It's well suited for the more experienced DE user as well as the beginner. This was my second Merkur after the HD/34c and must say I like this one a little better. The blade replacement is just a little harder compared to a two-piece Merkur like the HD/34c, that's why I gave it a 9 instead of a 10, It's not rocket science however :w00t:

In all the 23c is a great razor that I would recommend to anyone looking for a DE razor. In my opinion, the 23c is Merkur's secret gem.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
After many years of Gillette Excel, This is my first DE razor.
The brand was selected based on the many guides for first time DE shavers.

The specific model was chosen because of the similarity to the Gillette Excel.

I am use to a long handle, and as one of the guides said: eliminate as many as possible vaiables. So I did.

Price was 23 EUR. Is that good? Compared to other brands? Compare to plastic DE razors? As I expect it to last a lifetime, it is worth the money, that is the bottom line
Quality seems more than OK, but a little hard to judge after a few weeks.
User Friendly? Definate yes. Long handle helped me build confidence.
Grip: No problems there at all.
Ease of blade replacement: I can see why the butterfly model will be easier, but this is no hardship.
Agressiviness. Does not seem agressive.
Balance: well, the head is a bit heavy compared to the handle. But to seriously give a score on this, I will wait a couple of months and try out another razor, so I can compare.

I give this razor high marks based on the fact that I like it as a newbie. I would recommend it to anyone with experience in wet shaving but new to DE.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)