What's new

Merkur 1904 Straight Bar

Pros: Looks good
Cons: Can be tricky to used to
Well I bought this razor to try something different and something that looked different. Well on the looks case you cant get better. It's old world looking and kinda retro cool.

As for the shave. Well I think it was possibly me more than the razor but the shaves for the first week were the worse I've ever had. Sore neck, sore face, sore everything. However after shimming the blade and slowing down, the shave started to get better. I now use this razor with no shims and get almost BBS everytime. My technique was shown to be somewhat rubbish as I bought a Parker 94R and that really gives you a smack if you rush. So with a new and better tenique this has become my new go to razor.

I recomend that noobs get one as I same this'll teach you to consentrate and take your time. Un like a Tech or Slim you cant hurry this razor. Blade replacment... it's a three piece. Aggresiveness.....sort of but let the head do the work. Grip....no problems in the shower or at the sink. Quality......the parker seems better made but it's not as retro cool.

All in all a good razor to have in your rotation. Go on have one :wink2:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
I've have been using a Merkur 1904 for the past four months. It is my "go to" razor. If you are looking for a "starter" razor, then look no further. Starting with a new manufactured razor removes the possibility of starting with a vintage razor that may have defects that you are not yet aware of to look for. Once you get the hang of it, the go shopping for those vintage treasures!

IMHO, is the best value for a new-manufactured razor. It has the same head as the HD and is simplicity at its best.

PRICE: Easily found online for between $24-$26. As of this writing (June 2010) QEDusa.com has them for $24. Yes, there are vendors that charge A LOT more. ~$25 for a new-manufactured, German-made razor is hard to beat.

QUALITY: I gave it a "9" instead of a "10" only because of the nickel plating. The overall quality is fine, it's just that there are higher standards of plating available. But this would also affect the price.

USER FRIENDLY: Three-piece construction is virtually idiot-proof. Balance is perfect. Since it has the same head as the HD, and you should be holding the razor at its "balance point", you will get the same shave as that of a HD for a lot less money than the HD.

GRIP: The grip is very easy to hold onto when wet and covered with shave cream. If it had DEEP textured knurling like the Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip (one of the best grips ever made)), then I would give it a "10".

EASE OF BLADE REPLACEMENT: Hey, it's a 3-piece. Idiot proof in operation, but not as easy as a TTO.

AGGRESSIVENESS: As stated before, the same as the much-touted HD. More aggressive than the Gillette Tech.

BALANCE: One of the best when it comes to balance, IMHO.

My one and only caveat is that if you have very large hands and this is your first razor, then you may want to choose the standard Classic. The handle is only a fraction longer, but for some this makes a big difference.

Whether your first razor, or your 20th, you won't regret trying a Merkur 1904!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I purchased the 1904 because I had a bad experience with the Merkur 34c HD. Compared to the 34c this razor is a dream. Lighter in the hand and slightly top heavy this razor just glides over my face with little effort. I found that I had to "push" and "pull" the 34c with too much effort...which resulted in mega razor burn. I get no irritation with the 1904..however it is not kind to my face with ATG passes. My SS can handle ATG with no irritaion....but the 1904 leaves a nice tingling reminder everytime I go ATG with it. So I had to adjust my routine with XTG passes and still manage get a decent shave. Overall, the 1904 is a great razor worthy of a spot in anyone's den.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Price- $33 or so, free shipping.
Quality- Feels solid, no finish problems on mine
User Friendly- Less moving parts means less parts to break, although a slightly longer handle would have been nice :001_smile
Grip- I've shaved with wet hands. It hasn't slipped.
Ease of Blade Replacement- Unscrew handle, insert blade, fiddle with blade position, screw handle back in.
Aggressiveness- feels quite aggressive on my skin, with Derby blades.
Adjustability- works fine as-is, so I haven't tried increasing blade loft.
Balance- a little top heavy, could use a bit more weight in the handle or at the end.
slantman;1849243 said:
The only thing thats a mystery is the finish. Is it nickel or chrome?

These are only available in a nickel finish. On the DOVO website you will see the model number accompanied with the capital N (for nickel). Other razors are available in C (chrome) or G (gold) but not the 1904's (aka 41N & 42N).
I couldn't wait to get a Merkur 34C HD online, so I found this 1904 in town. Paid $$40+ for it! ouch! 1 months later I bought the 23C mainly for the longer handle for $39+s/h.

I compared the quality of the 1904 to the 23C, I think the 1904 is better made, the metal seemed to be of better quality , and when you clean and buff the chrome head, the 1904 outshines the 23C.

The biggest reason for me to buy another shaver was because of the grip and balance. For me it was solid to hold, but not comfortable to shave with. I choke up on the handle when I shave, but with a longer handle of the 23C it fits my hand better, giving it a bit more stability. Where as the 1904 is short, so you must balance the handle with your thumb and 3 fingers, gives me hand cramp!

Both my 1904 and 23C are 3 piece design, I don't feel that they are "that difficult" to change blade'. There is no rush to see how fast I can do this anyway.

Since I'm new at DE shaving, I would say my technique is not up to par. Time will tell if some of these ratings will go up or down. The 1904 is a good shaver to set your baseline as a first, or add one to your collection for the solid workmanship.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I paid only $25.50 delivered off eBay. Excellent razor and the handle is the normal size of most Gillettes and Techs. Same size as the HD. With the correct blade you can easily get a BBS every time. What surprises me most dealers advertise the weight as 1.7 oz. Obviously nobody ever weighed the razor. To be fair the straight edge weighs 2.3 oz and the OC 2.2 oz. The only thing thats a mystery is the finish. Is it nickel or chrome? I sent 2 emails to Dovo-Merkur and they never responded. This is a gem of a razor and I recommend it to anyone wanting a 3 piece tech.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Got this as a gift. I've had a few Merkurs and I swore I'd never buy another one. They are pretty good razors but they are overpriced considering their quality which, in my opinion, is not top notch.

Price: 33 USD shipped to my door. Not bad at all considering they are of slightly better quality than Parkers. Also, not a bad price if you want to buy it on a whim since, by today standards, it's fairly unique (or at least interesting looking). It's built pretty solid so it should last.

Quality: Like any other Merkur, average. Better than a Parker and solidly built but the finish is less than perfect. For the price, this SPECIFIC razor is OK. However, spend a little more and you can get a much better quality razor (like a Muhle or Edwin Jagger, for instance).

User Friendly: This is a mixed bag. It's mild and very forgiving but the handle is so darn short and thin that it's hard to get used to. Shouldn't be much of a problem for experienced users though.

Grip: Good grip even with soapy fingers.

Ease of blade replacement: No comment - I've never had an issue with a 3 piece design and, different from what some may have you believe, it isn't rocket science.

Aggressiveness: Pretty mild razor, a good one to have if you have a light to medium beard, extremely sensitive skin, or for those days when you want to give your skin a break. It's on the light side too so it's easy to forget not to apply pressure. A little milder than I'd like but not bad.

Balance: Not bad, the handle is a bit heavier than the head so it's not perfect, not bad though.

Not a bad razor for the price, you could do much worse. It looks cool and it's a mild one (if that's what you like) but it won't influence me to get another Merkur. I'd say this would be a great 1st razor for a beginner or a traveling razor due to the handle size.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)