What's new

Merkur 12C Open-Comb Barber Pole

Pros: Comfortable shaves, close shaves, no blood
Cons: Took a while to navigate chin area successfully
This review is as much a salute to the virtues of open comb razors in general as it is a favorable write up of the Merkur 12c specifically. Over the past 2 months I have recently switched back to using the 12c for my daily shaves after having started out with it when I first got into wet shaving. The sledgehammer slant was my razor of choice in between. This razor just gives easy, comfortable shaves day after day. It's so gentle on my skin. The number of daily weepers is usually zero and I don't get irritation. It is very "mild" in that regard. However, don't be fooled by this "mild" label. What this doesn't mean is that the shaves aren't close. In fact, like others have also experienced as noted above, this razor shaves me closer than any other razor has. It seems to be the perfect combination for me of closeness and smoothness. I don't mind that the shaves are boring as another reviewer noted. In fact, that's what I want, just solid consistency. The one downfall I have found with this razor is that it took me a while to get used to it because of the small blade exposure. This was especially difficult around my chin area, which is very angular. For about the first month I was constantly catching the bottom of my chin on the ATG pass. However, now I've finally dialed into the feel and don't have this problem. I think this razor gives such good results because #1 it has a smaller blade exposure so the blade doesn't stick out and bite you. #2, since it is an open comb it doesn't scrape all the lather away before the blade touches the whisker like a straight bar would. This means the lather actually does it job of protecting your face. Even though this is the only OC razor I have used, I would bet that most OC shaves would be good because of this attribute. Other notable things about the razor...The sledgehammer handle gives it a nice heft that aids in the shave. I prefer heavier razors. Also, blade replacement is very easy, you just drop a new blade in and tighten down the head. Great razor
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: nice weight; comfortable shaver
Cons: too mild
I find this razor to be unusual; disturbing even. It is far and away the most comfortable razor I have ever used. It has not yet inflicted a cut, nick or weeper, despite my efforts to shave in as sloppy and careless a manner as possible. I have become a blade buffing maniac..... and still no irritation! It's almost as if the blade doesn't actually touch the skin. It takes the sting out of even the sharpest of blades.
Yes, but what about aggressiveness? Well, herein lies another mystery. This razor does not seem aggressive at all. It is not as aggressive as the Merkur 38c or my EJ 89. It is perhaps on par with a 40s Superspeed, but with an Open Comb feel. And yet, after a 3 pass shave (plus touch ups) it leaves me as close to BBS as any other razor I have used.
Part of me concludes that this is the ultimate razor for me, the best combination of comfort and aggressiveness to match sensitive skin and a tough beard. The other part of me finds it frustratingly tame. There is no challenge here: just easy, solid, safe shaves time and time again. It's a bit boring. This one will remain in my rotation, but I suspect that I will use it only when I need a particularly gentle shave. Like after a whole week of shaves with my R-41:ohmy:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I must confess I had high hopes for this razor but was quite disappointed with the result. Visually it has a great classic vibe similar to a Gillette Old Style razor, open comb and nice barber pole handle.

Where it disappoints is in the closeness of the shave. I found the razor to offer a gentle shave, not aggressive and not cutting close enough to the skin to provide any real longevity before needing to shave again.

As with all reviews YMMV but I've gone back to using my Merkur Futur which for me offers a superior closer shave.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is a great razor. I've used Old, New, New long tooth and 11C open combs plus the 34C and various Gillettes. Out of all of them, this is my favorite razor and it's the only one that shaves my upper lip beard easily. My 34C will not do my lip as well.

A 9 for changing the blade is not a problem of any sort - I would give any two piece a 9 for blade replacement. A three piece would get an 8 and a TTO a 10.

Somebody mentioned it's not as aggressive as an Old and I agree, however, it's very close and unlike my Old, I do not feel the blade against my face.

Just this week I rotated back to my 34C but as soon as I tried ATG on my upper lip - ouch! I took the blade out of the 34C, put it into the 12C (didn't even re-lather) and finished ATG smoothly and ouch-less! )

Highly recommend this razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I love my Merkur 12C. I put 8 on price because I think $42 plus shipping is a bit steep, but I put an 8 because its a good razor and the price is still good.

Quality- the razor feels great, and looks great.

User Friendly - I get the best shaves of all the razors I have tried. I've tried a slim, tech, mi47 milord, ever-ready, and a rolls.

Grip - The grip is superb on this razor.

Ease of blade replacement - might be slightly harder than a TTO, but really easy.

Aggressiveness - I don't know why people put down the number as the range of aggressiveness. I put it down as how good the aggressiveness is for me. This razor is perfect for me.

Adjustability - Its not.

Balance - i think its great.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I like this razor, it is quite aggressive so you have to take it slow and not rush things. Let me also say that it helps me get close amazing shaves and is quite easy to use. I have many Merkurs and like that this one is an open comb for the variety.

Aaron
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I just used the Merkur 12c for the first time just now, and I can tell you its basically a less aggressive old type with a much heavier and longer handle. I like it, you can tell right away it is Merkur's version of the old type, but the head is slightly longer and wider than the old type, so its less aggressive. I found shaving with it very easy, I went against the grain ont the first pass with a Sharp blade and found it very smooth ( I have a light beard). The Merkur 12c's bark is worse than its bite, this is actually a very user friendly razor IMO. A great alternative for an open comb if you feel the gillette old type is too aggressive for you.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
i generally agree with the above. waiting to do a formal review since I've only had the 12 C for about a week. I think this may have given me my closest shaves. I have used it with a feather each time.

for reference, my favorites are several gillette news, red tip with feather, and now this 12 C.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
My personal favorite is the Futur, for I achieve my best lasting shaves with it, but occasionally I need a less aggressive razor, for those shaves where I just don't have the time or situation for the optimum.

For a while, I used the Gillette Adjustable as a second choice, but have given it up, since I got the 12c. To me it is as easy and quick to use, but a good bit closer when it comes to the results.

For the above reason, I downgraded on aggressiveness. It does give me good shaves, but not as excellent, as with my personal reference. On the other hand, I tend to see this as a plus, when it comes to shaves, where general conditions just happen not to be perfect.

I think blade replacement seems a little odd on all of these more classic models if compared to a butterfly mechanism. Though downgraded on this feature too, I still prefer this type, for the whole razor just looks and feels more classic.

On the bottom line, one favorite razor, definitely a good compromize. If while travelling I can only take one with me, this is it.
I just finished shaving for the very first time with this razor. Wow! This razor does exactly what it should do. It gives a smooth as a baby's butt shave. What I found is that it gives an extremely close shave even in hard to reach places like underneath the nose. I will not part with this razor. Ever... Thanks to the previous reviewers, You gave me all the info I needed. Thank you badgerandblade.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Can you tell me whether the 12C shaves significantly closer than the 11C? I rotate between the Futur and Slant and 11C(occasionally throw in a 38C). The slant just seems to always irritate my neck, the Futur is great(setting 4-6) but a little bulky. I seem to get better shaves with long handled DE's for some reason. I would love to have only 1 go to razor for my everyday shave. Any theories would be most appreciated. After posting a review for the 11C I was confused when some readers started querying how the 11C could shave close with only minimal gap/ and no bar. But Sputnik your theory may be right, particularly in light of say using the Futur on a high number where essentially the bar doesn't feature, and really only the blade touches the skin. I believe your theory on the 12C might be the answer. Does the 12C have similar balance to the 38C?
I am not 100% sure why exactly this razor produces very close shaves. I have used both Merkur 38C and Merkur 39C Slant, and 12C beats them down no questions asked. Although the blade gap on 12C is very shallow, my theory is that the open-comb design allows the blade come in a very close contact with the skin. In other words, there is no guard between the skin and the open-comb teeth: The blade is open. It is really aggressive and you must have a stady hand and solid technique before using 12C, however, you will be well-rewarded with a BBS every time. If this is not yet aggressive for you, the next step is a straight razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)