What's new

MenScience Advanced Shave Formula

Pros: works well
Cons: expensive
I've only used this once when I got a free sample. It is a really good gel product, that gave me an extremely smooth, close shave with no irritation.

I'd probably use it again, but I prefer to use creams.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This was the first non canned goo shave cream I ever tried. It was the cream I used during my transition from a Fusion to DE shaving. I bought it when I saw it was advertised as being for sensitive skin. I was very disappointed.

I'll start with a positive. This is very moisturizing. No need for an ASB with this. The packaging is also very attractive, a white plastic container with a matte black lid, the font on the packaging is nice. Very manly, manlier than Nancy Boy's packaging by far.

Now with the good points out of the way on to the bad. It is pricey. $25.00 for a 6 oz tub which puts it in some rarified air price wise. You have to use an awful lot, so price per use is higher than anything else, even Trumpers.

It is a brushless cream which is part of the reason you have to use so much. Unlike some other brushless creams that respond quite well to a badger beating this stuff does not lather at all, no matter what you do.

The scent is a medicinal scent, like some sort of ointment your grandma picked up at the drug store. Not very pleasant.

The shave itself is miserable, the blade just does not want to cut the hairs with this stuff. Although it will cut your skin quite nicely. I had so many nicks and weepers, both with a Fusion and a DE. I've been DE shaving for about 5 months now and I had about 1/3 of the jar of this left, I figured I would try it again to see if the problem was perhaps with my technique which has improved considerably in the four months this has been sitting under my sink. Nope, still lots of nicks and weepers, where I usually get none, or perhaps one or two.

There is no category in the review for rinseability, but I have to make a note about that for this cream. It does not rinse well at all and it clogs razors like you wouldn't believe. When I was still using a Fusion I would make a single pass halfway down my cheek, then stop for thirty seconds while I rinsed my now clogged razor. DE wasn't much better. This stuff absolutely does not rinse at all. When my futile attempt at lathering this with my badger brush didn't pan out I had to clean the brush in Borax to get rid of it. It is so sticky. What I am considering to be it's moisturizing properties may actually just be that the stuff is sticking to my skin and doesnt rinse off after the shave.

Overall this is a very overpriced, underperforming cream, and if you are going to spend that kind of money I would recommend buying a case of Barbasol canned goo over this.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)