What's new

Mediterranean Citrus Splash

I'm far too lazy to retype my feelings on SCS's aftershave splashes, so look here for my thoughts on the Sandalwood: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=S&t=61184

It's top notch as far as quality and efficacy are concerned with the major difference being the scent.

However, something else a bit different is that there is a distinctive burn as soon as the splash goes on. To me, it rivals the burn of Pinaud Bay Rum and is more of a "spicy" burn rather than an alcohol one. Is there some sort of spice in there, Sue, maybe a little bay? My nose may be fooling me, but I think I can smell it, as well.

Speaking of smell, I'm really not as excited about it as other gentlemen seem to be. It's pleasant, yes, but it's fairly hum-drum lemon/lime with a few other citrus notes in there. Not bad at all, but nothing really all that special. It disappears within minutes, but then again, that's the case for me when it comes to virtually any citrus scent.

Worth a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
What a great splash, especially for summertime!
Cost: Currently at $10.00, it is more than worth its price.
Alcohol Burn: Expect some burn as this is an alcohol based splash. To me it is brief and mild.
It is quickly followed by a pleasant menthol cool which seems to last at least 5 minutes or so.
After the menthol effect subsides I am left with an excellent citrus scent like a mix of lemon and lime. It would be nice if the scent lasted longer, but citrus scents generally don't anyway. The scent will complement any soap or cream with lemon or lime very easily and possibly orange as well. I highly recommend using it in conjunction with SCS X-4 EDT as the scents meld together very nicely.
I leave a little residual water on my face when I apply a small amount, as this seems to reduce a sticky feeling if too much is used. It works very well for razor burn. In short, I highly recommend this product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Sue's SCS Med Citrus Splash is the perfect compliment to your Spring shave.

I used this to cap off a series of citrus themed shaves...it works very well with GFT Limes SF and Cream.

The scent comes out of the bottle strong but dies off quickly because, as Sue has stated herself, its hard to get citrusy scents to stick around. The scent that lingers after the fading of the citrus is nice, mild and clean.

Price: Superb and really can't be beat for the quality

Quality: Phenomenal. One of her splashes is guaranteed to be a regular in your rotation.

Fights Razor Burn: I had a little over my series of shaves and it took care of the burn pretty well. Not as good as some of her ASMs IMHO, but it did the job.

Cooling sensation: I didnt sense any menthol, but it definitely cooled the skin well. Of course, that could be a result of olfactory overload on the other senses:lol:

Scent: Hands down #1 reason to get this product. Lemons coming at ya! Once the lemon scent dies down...there is a very nice, mild, clean scent that lingers for 2-3 hours.

Efficacy: Did the job I asked it to do...moisturize, cleanse and heal the skin.

Moisturize: A little less than an ASM, but thats expected with a splash.

Burn: Yes, a little bit. But unless you have VERY sensitive skin, this stuff will work on you just fine.

I am normally a ASB or ASM kind of guy. Sue changed my mind with this product. Up til now, the only splash I've owned was Musgo Real. This will be in my collection permanently once I've finished the samples.

Which brings me to my last point. As scents go, YMMV. Thus, BUY A SAMPLER from her first! Test what you like before you get the full deal!

Thanks for a great product Sue!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I now have 4 bottles of this stuff in the cabinet. Every order I make with Sue also includes this, avocado oil balm and deodorant on top of what I am ordering.
The scent alone is worth the price of admission. I have a few splashes and balms but 95% of the time it is this wonderful product with the avocado oil balm afterwards.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I have fallen in love with this aftershave splash. This has replaced my beloved Thayers lemon as my goto splash. The mentol level is perfect and the scent is good. The only change I would make(in my favorable opinion) is to have more citrus notes(lemon,lime, orange,etc) It is however very subtle and feels so good when applied! I am amazed how much different taking out rubbing alcohol out of a splash does for the face. This stuff is class act and an absolute incredible bargain at $8.50!!!! If you dont have this in your arsenal...seriously consider adding it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I bought a bottle after reading the favorable reviews and am very pleased. Refreshing! was my first impression after splashing some on. Great scent, and just the right amount of cooling. Just a little burn, and really relieves irritation. A real pleasure to use, I will certainly try the other offerings from SCS. I'm new to the forum and wetshaving; going through the reviews here has helped me avoid wasting money. It's a shame more men aren't aware of SCS and Mama Bear products.

Mike
Reviewing a free thing can be tricky. It's easy to invent great value in something that cost you nothing and has few redeemable qualities; That's why I've waited so long to review this great product, wanting to ensure that I gave it a fair shake. Several months ago, I was the fortunate winner of an e-mail contest hosted by Sue from Saint Charles Shave. For being the 10th respondent, I was gifted with a free 4oz. bottle of Mediterranean Citrus Aftershave Splash.

The first thing that struck me when I opened the box was that the bottle was honest to goodness glass. Over the years, some of the more notable brands of aftershave have ditched the glass bottle paradigm, opting to ignore the sensuous sensibilities of their customers to drive cost down, along with the perceived value of their product (I'm looking at you Old Spice). It's great to see that Sue has paid attention to her customers and given them something they can appreciate on many levels. The heavy glass bottle is a simple rectangle with beveled edges, and feels chunky--comforting qualities when one is handling glass with wet hands. The label is a simple clear decal with the name of the product along with the quantity. It's subtle packaging, and that's exactly what I want in my aftershave--well, either that, or something over-the-top unique that really serves as an eye-catcher.

I really like the smell of Mediterranean Citrus. I'm not sure what citrus fruits grow in the Mediterranean, but it's groves must smell really nice. The first note that really hit me was a sort of mango or maybe passion-fruit. It has a sort of floral smell to it too... like maybe the blossoms from the fruit trees. It had a very light hint of menthol. The scent is quite "cool" and is reminiscent of a lighter Aqua Velva plus a bit of orange Pez(tm).

Being a fan of the high-alcohol content, glycerine-free, Pinaud after-shaves, I was surprised by the slick/sticky/almost-but-not-quite-thick nature of the lightly golden splash. Having read other reviews, I knew not to use too much-- which is very possible if you're used to using the thinner aftershaves on the market.

This aftershave performs spectacularly. It has just enough menthol to provide that cooling sensation that so many Aqua Velva fans crave with a slightly less overpowering blast of fruit scent. It goes on smooth and provides a nice moisturizing finish to your shave.

I keep comparing Mediterranean Citrus to Aqua Velva for a reason. I get the sense that Sue was striving to make something similar, but not exactly like the Menthol Awesomesauce, pulling out those elements that make Aqua Velva a great product and adding those things that make it an even greater product.

So there you have it, Saint Charles Shave's Mediterranean Citrus is an excellent aftershave splash, and well worth giving a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
If Im not wanting the classic barbershop scent thing going on on a particular night, this is what I turn to. I love it. It does tend to leave my face a tiny bit sticky and the scent is gone in a minute or two. If the scent lasted a wee bit longer Id love it even more.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I got this in the mail yesterday and couldn't stop opening it up for another whiff. Wow! I don't know what all is in it, but if the feds find out they will surely ban it for being too much fun. Sort of a citrusy/floral smell, not too sweet and just sharp enough to be interesting. I love it.

Actually USING it continues the affair. It apparently has menthol in it according to the SCS website, and after the initial sting there is a long cooling sensation. I guess Sue didn't go overboard on the menthol since my skin tolerated it just fine, and it felt great. That plus the other ingredients left my skin smooth and comfortable, and two hours later I am still catching whiffs of the scent. So it sticks around, much longer than Boosters, which smells great for about two minutes then is gone.

This is my first all-10s rating. Sue has a top notch product here. What are you waiting for? Go buy some!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I agree that this is a good product from SCS. The price and quality is great. No problems there. The AS has a clean citrus smell, not too strong, and also has the smell of cologne like its mixed with 4711. When you apply it to the face it has a slight oily feel to it. I think the folks at SCS tried to create something similar to Musgo AS but not as sticky as that. I have used this only twice since i bought it and overall i am happy with it and i think anyone buying it will not be disappointed.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Disclaimer: I have been drinking the Saint Charles Shave kool-aid for a loooooong time.:biggrin: Now on to the review.

Spring time is here with summer soon to follow. As result, many of us willbe looking for something light, refreshing, and cooling to slap on after our shave. Well look no further for it has begun!:wink:

The Mediterranean Citrus Splash(heretofore referred to as MCS) comes in a sturdy 4 oz square shaped bottle with a gold colored top. No sharp edges though-it has a nice grip/feel to it.

The scent is remarkable! You feel as if you have stepped out on the veranda of your hacienda located in the South Pacific next to citrus orchards. I was heading out to play chess and made the mistake of kissing my wife before leaving-:thumbup:(nuff said!) She loves the smell of this splash.

Now I am not a splash man-felt the Home Alone moment was not worth it-and yet this is the 3rd splash I own( Royall Bay Rhum and Lime). This will be the one that gets used up! There was not a burn, more like a sting-I knew it was there but it was not brutal or overbearing.

The cooling effect was nice,real nice-not overpowering, but much better than the Royall Lime. I did not feel any discomfort from my shave(Sharp blade initially, then Dorco blade to finish-nother story) and as the night went on, I forgot that I had shaved!

Price wise @ 8.50 a bottle this is not your run out to the store aftershave splash, but it was much cheaper than my Royall splashes-for what i paid for them in the small size, I could have 4 bottles of this!

Saint Sue and Wendy have done it again. To think, me an avowed balm man actually touting the benefits of a splash-next thing you know I'll be using AV!(but not until I get tired of Mediterranean Citrus Splash :w00t:)

This is another winner in the wonderful line-up that we have come to expect from Saint Charles Shaves.

marty
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn