What's new

McLas Metholated Bay Rum

Good quality bay rum for an even better price! Smells similar to Dominica though not as deep or dark. Mclas is one of the few bay rums that comes stock mentholated, which is a big plus. The scent is of the true bay laurel blossom. Give it try and if you don't like it, find a better way to spend $5!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is the only bay rum aftershave I've ever used, so I'm not qualified to compare it to others. I can, however, attest that McLas is pure, unadulterated bay leaf scent. We have many California Bay Laurel trees where I live, and at certain times of the year, when you walk by one of these trees, you can't avoid noticing the scent from its leaves. McLas' scent is just like these trees, only not as over powering, thankfully. There isn't any other scent in McLas that alters it in any way -- it smells like bay laurel, and that's all.

So, if you want to smell like a bay laurel tree, McLas is for you. I find that it doesn't dry my skin, though it doesn't seem to offer as good a protection as, say, Aqua Velva, so the bay oil must do what it is meant to do. The scent when worn is mild, but does last all day if you splash on quite a bit, which you can afford to do, given the low price.
Ingredients: Alcohol, Water, Bay Oil, Menthol
Price: I found this for $2.03 ( Summer of 2009) at a small local pharmacy in upstate New York. Well worth it! I think its popular in the islands so you might be able to find it in your Caribean markets.
Quality: The product comes it a 8 oz glass bottle which alone could be worth the 2 bucks. The product is always consistently good and comes with an expiration date, which is not seen on bottled of after shave of greater costs.
Fights Razor Burn: No bumps when I rub it in.
Cooling Sensation: The Menthol is fleeting and this is not Aqua Velva but it offers a nice feeling during the summer.
Scent: Its a light bay rum, no heavy notes of spice, instead mild fruity spice smell.
Efficacy: It works well for its purpose.
Moisturizing: It doesn't have any glycerine or anything like that so its a pretty Spartan bay rum. If you are looking for a moisturizing after shave in a bay rum style look to Porter's After shave lotion. This is pure and simple back to basics bay rum.
No Alcohol Burn: The menthol is helpful here and it cools the face right off.

Overall: This is my go to aftershave in the summer when I go on vacation to the beach. Combine this with some Proraso shaving soap and you are in summer vacation heaven again. If this simple mix isn't for you, for 2 bucks, a buy it and use the bottle for decanting your Clubman Lilac veggie. :lol:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)