What's new

Mayfair Badger/Boar Mixture Brush

I bought this from Em's Place (item #mn-pvhb, $22.95) wanting to try a combination boar/badger brush.

Floppy brushes are not my style, so I've been gravitating to boar brushes lately. Inexpensive boar brushes feel fine to me, but it would be nice if they would hold water better. Inexpensive badger brushes hold water, but are often floppy and scratchy.

The Mayfair combines the best of both worlds in a brush that is just the right size for me. Here it is compared to the Savile Row 3120.

View attachment 32698

I used the brush with Proraso cream and Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and it worked great with both. It was comfortable and efficient when face lathering with the Mitchell's.

The English-made brush has an ergonomic handle that does not have any of the molding seams associated with inexpensive brushes.

So if you want an inexpensive brush with some backbone that holds water well and shows no mercy on soaps, then give the Mayfair a try.

Here is the link to Em's site, listed as 'Boar and Badger':

http://www.emsplace.com/shaving/boarbrushes.aspx

Regards,
Bob
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Great brush! I don't have anything to compare but cheap boar brushes and cheap badger brushes.

This brush has the stiffness of boar while actually being able to hold water and make the lather explode like badger brushes. The price is great too.

If you are a boar lover but hate how your brush does not hold water then this might be the brush for you. Works great with all of my shaving soaps and even with proraso. :wink:

I don't think this brush could hold its own against rooney or any high expensive brush but does wonders in its price range.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this brush for the last 10 months or so with good success. After a few months, i noticed that the brush wouldn't build a lather as well as it had in the past. I cleaned the brush with a solution of warm water and liquid dishwashing soap, and then a quick dip in a diluted solution of vinegar and warm water, and a rinse.

Cleaning the brush restored its ability to build a lather. It also made the bristles MUCH softer and improved the brush's ability to hold water by a significant amount.

It was like a brand new, and better quality, brush.
Top Bottom