What's new

Master Lord & Master

Pros: Scent
Cons: Lack of Moisturizer
Price: You can't beat the price for this product. I paid $7.95 for the big bottle, which is 15 oz. That works out to about 50 cents per oz. Very high marks for price/value. Quality: The quality is high for this product. It is on par with my more expensive aftershaves. I would like some moisturizer like glycerin etc. and I did dock the product slightly for this omission. Fights Razor Burn: It does the job and calms down whatever minor razor burn I might have. I don't know how well it would work with major irritation/razor burn given the ingredient list. Cooling Sensation: Not bad but not overly cooling. I gave average marks for cooling. Scent: This is where Topaz really shines. As others have described, the scent is a combination of spice and powder. It's a masculine scent, but it does not over power. Swmbo also really likes the scent, which means I can wear this AS whenever I want. Even though the scent has powder notes, it does not have an "old man" scent. That is a good thing for me, because of Swmbo's prejudice against what she calls "old man" scents, but if you prefer to smell like your granddad this could be a negative for you. Efficacy: Again good here. Moisturizing: This AS contains no ingredient to moisturize, unlike most aftershaves. However, if you're a person with naturally oily skin, like I am, you might not need a product with tons of moisturizer. I wouldn't have minded some glycerin though. I did dock Topaz here. No Alcohol Burn: For a splash, there is little to no alcohol burn. Topaz compares favorably to Proraso splash for its lack of burn. Overall, this is a great AS splash that I highly recommend for anyone, except those with very dry skin. The scent is where Topaz shines the most for me, and the value is outstanding. Find and hoard Topaz.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I like the way Master's products work, but I didn't like many of the scents save the bay rum, which I love. This smells OK at first, but quickly dries down to some artificial rubbery smell on my skin. Not cool. Perhaps it's just my body chemistry, I don't know. Other than the scent, it works just as well as many of the other Master's A/S I have tried, which is to say superlatively. Master's splashes have easily beaten most other inexpensive A/S splashes I have tried, especially in the moisturizing department. I rarely need a follow up balm to these products, except in the depths of winter.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Master Lord and Master smells, to me, like watered-down Pinaud Clubman. This is not exactly a bad thing. It's a very mild, fast-dissipating scent with notes of powder and citrus. A definite barbershop scent.

I prefer the bolder tone of the Clubman, but Lord and Master has other advantages. This is one of the mildest aftershaves I've tried - zero burn, and very soothing. It has glycerin to moisturize and it leaves the face smooth and soft. It's so cheap that you can't go wrong, as with most of these barbershop classics - definitely worth a try. I also got mine from Atlanta Barber Supply, which had top-notch shipping and service.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: $5

Reprinted from a discussion thread found here:

The final review of the three AS's purchased at this site. I only own one other Master aftershave: Topaz. I really like it's soft, powdery scent. L&M is similar with something extra added.

In the bottle I get the usual alcohol aroma combined with a powder and perfumed smell. It goes on strong and after two or three minutes it's natural scent settles in. Honestly this is a tough one for me. I had to enlist the help of my wife and daughters to nail down the scents. Up to about the 15 minute mark I was getting a light, sweet perfume mixed with powder scent. I couldn't quite put my finger on what I was smelling. My wife got an orange citrus w/ a mild pine vibe combined w/ powder. The girls said they got the piny odor as well. They also mentioned it having an herbal scent whatever that means and the underlying powder. Frankly I didn't get any kind of pine vibe, but I guess I can agree w/ the faint citrusy/orange aroma. At the 30 to 45 minute mark all any of us got was the sweet powder fragrance with possibly a hint of some floral perfume so whatever else was in there seemed to fade away.

Master AS's only cost $5 so you really don't lose a thing testing them, and my final impression is that Lord and Master is worth getting to try out. If you are torn between buying this and Topaz, I say go with the Topaz as they are basically the same after an hour or so. Topaz gives you that sweet baby powder mixed with a musky scent all day long. It's one of my favorites so it stands to reason that I like L&M though I probably don't need both.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)