What's new

Master Bay Rum

If you are on the fence trying to decide whether or not to try it, go ahead and spend the 8 bucks and get a bottle of Masters Bay Rum.

Sure, it doesn't have the pungent spice-kick of Ogalalla or Pinaud, but it isn't faint smelling either. It lasts as long as an AS should. Its a clean bay rum smell.

It has glycerin in it, and I believe this is why it doesn't tighten your face up too much. Very moisturizing for a bay rum. Low alcohol content, almost no burn. This is a +.

It has worked great everytime, and I really think this stuff is good at fighting razor burn. Don't get it for a cooling sensation, there is none.

Hopefully I can run across more Master's products. I now know why you can find these bottles at so many traditional barbershops. It's great stuff. Try it
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Don't let the smell out of the bottle fool you, like I did. I passed on this bottle at Sally's when I first bought a large bottle of Pinaud Clubman's which sets next to it in the store. Once I started reading some glowing praises on B and B, I decided to try it. I have not been disappointed one bit. Good moisturizing qualities for a splash. Love the scent. The bottle will last for years considering how much I rotate aftershaves, and how big the bottle is. Not as spicy a scent combination as Clubman's. Reminds me more of Ogalalla, except not hot to the face.

Jeff
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
bokaba;961256 said:
A true classic bay rum that I suspect would please the likes of Ernest Hemingway and Teddy Roosevelt. This is what an aftershave should be like--bracing and soothing at the same time. The glycerin and real bay oil are wonderful--although I wish it had a shot of menthol. The scent is complex--not something one would expect from a plastic bottle. Its around 10 at Sally Beauty and even though I feel out of place at Sally Beauty I will brave going there for Master and Clubman products.

I agree with the above. A very good, quality product. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is my favorite Bay Rum at the moment. Smells and feels much better than Pinaud VI Bay Rum. Some alcohol burn, followed by immediate relief. Very soothing. my face and my wife like it. It has glycerin, and so, is moisturizing and soothing. You can pick it up at Sally Beauty Supply or a Atlanta Barber and Beauty Supply. I paid just under 8 bucks for a 15 ounce bottle.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is a basic but good after shave. Price is very little as is the sophistication, but it gets the job done. Has a bit of a synthetic smell, but it reminds me of the bay rums in use at barbershops in years past. Moisturizes okay with the bit of glycerin. Has a bit of a burn, but not too bad. Overall, a usable and reliable inexpensive alternative to the more costly island bay rums. IMHO scent lingers just about right for an AS.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Just another B&Ber giving my thumbs-up to Masters BR. Great scent, if not exactly as long lasting as your average EdC - which isn't a bad thing, since this is an aftershave, after all. I like that Masters added some glycerin, which moisturizes and protects my skin.

The things that I like the most: the PRICE! I mean, 12 oz for 8 bucks, what's not to like...? Also, Masters uses actual Bay leaf extract, not some clone. My least favorite things: I wish they didn't add in the extra artificial coloring, but I understand why they did. That should by no means be a deal-breaker for you, though. I also wish they could manage to make a version that had longer legs: I like the scent so much I wish it hung around for longer than an hour or two. I have noticed that the scent gets regenerated when I sweat, although at a lower level, which is a nice bonus.

The scent is less spicy than the Pinaud version, more a straight-up Bay scent - which I actually prefer to the Pinaud version (although both are in my rotation). Compared to the Pinaud "Fires of Hell":bayrum2:, the Masters is hardly noticeable in the alcohol burn, but a slight tingle is there. If you like to wear Bay Rum in the summer heat, this is a very good candidate for you to try out.

Overall, a nice classic scent that is subtle, moisturizes better that the average AB/AS, and dirt cheap and available widely at your local Sally Beauty Supply. A definite "gotta try" for everyone.:thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
A wonderful Bay Rum for an awesome price. I use it at least once a week.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
i love the smell,my girlfriend hates it says it smell like an old man, and i said thanks. price is great especially for quantity. does have slight burn and doesnt really seem to cool at all but love it anyway
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Decent performance - it is moisturizing thanks to the glycerin. The scent is too sweet and not particularly interesting. There are better bay rums out there and there are better aftershaves out there. This is comparatively easy to find in brick and mortar stores.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I really do like this Bay Rum and wear it frequently, although the wife hates it...purchased from Sally's Beauty Supply after reading about it on here about a year ago. Does sting a bit, but the fragrance is divine-to me anyways!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
The Master Bay Rum is pretty good stuff for cheap. Cooled a bit, tightened a bit, but I just don't think it compares to Pinaud or Ogallala. I guess I'm just sold on Pinaud Bay Rum, and I kinda' like the burn. The Master Bay Rum is a bit weak in aroma, doesn't seem to last long, but overall it's a good product.
I ran out of Master's Bay Rum a while back, and wasn't in a big hurry to replace it. There's so many others out there, and I've been making my own, so right now Bay Rums are kind of low priority to me.

I went into Sally's the other day and picked up a bottle on sale for 5.29. I remembered how much I initially liked it, but ultimately why I didn't feel some urgent need to restock it.

As an aftershave, it's very good. Not much burn, fairly moisturizing, and doesn't dry your skin out. The smell is merely average, though. It's not overly medicinal like Lustray or Lucky Tiger, but it's no Clubman or Ogallala either. It's got a (what I describe as) a "buttery" Bay Rum scent. Pleasant, cheap and unobtrusive, it's not an unwelcome Bay Rum, but it's not my go to either. Overall, a solid 6.5.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I gotta say, I love the way this works more than any other alcohol based splash, and I adore the scent. Master's has really figured this product out.

Price- for 15oz, extremely inexpensive at $7-8 at Sally's, I got it for $5.50 online at Appleton Barber Supply. Other barber's supply stores online are competitive. It's cheaper than Aqua Velva- what more could you want?

Quality- I love that they chose bay oil to scent it instead of a more synthetic scent. Ingredients are, in bottle order:

Deionized pure water
SD alcohol 40
glycerine
bay oil
FD & C Yellow #'s 5 and 6

Fights RB- nothing makes my RB just vanish, but this stuff is well above average for me.

Cooling- none to speak of, save that it's room temp. Want more? Put it on ice...

Scent- a real winner for me. Doesn't have the sharp cutting smell of some that add spicier elements, but the straight bay oil they have chosen is lovely. Sweet and round, with just a little spice in it. Scent sticks around for a couple hours on me, but hovers very close to the skin. If you like pungent or really spicy bay rums, this may be softer than you want.

Efficacy- does what it is supposed to, and then some.

Moisturizing- this is where the product really shines for me. I can find alcohol A/S's drying, mainly when my skin is already dry or damaged- too hot a shower, crappy shave, etc. This product can actually help re-moisturize my skin under these circumstances, and normally I do not require any additional balm or moisturizer. If I apply it to my skin during the day when my skin is fine, it can actually get slightly tacky sometimes.

Burn- water before alcohol, so I find it better than those that reverse the order. With any alcohol A/S though, I don't feel much, if anything, assuming I have done a good job with the shave.

To sum up, I think everyone owes it to themselves to at least try it once. It's cheap, available locally (if you have a Sally's), and I find it far better than any other commercially available aftershave in the same price range that I have tried- namely Pinaud products and various Aqua Velva. YMMV of course, but if you find alcohol spashes drying, I would be surprised if you didn't at least find it better than most of the cheapies.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
it works good, the scent is good i love bay rum.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
A true classic bay rum that I suspect would please the likes of Ernest Hemingway and Teddy Roosevelt. This is what an aftershave should be like--bracing and soothing at the same time. The glycerin and real bay oil are wonderful--although I wish it had a shot of menthol. The scent is complex--not something one would expect from a plastic bottle. Its around 10 at Sally Beauty and even though I feel out of place at Sally Beauty I will brave going there for Master and Clubman products.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
So far, this is the only bay rum I've tried. I really like it and it's an excellent value for the price. It tightens my skin nicely after a shave and I really feel refreshed when I use it. It doesn't have much of a cooling sensation, but it gets the job done.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
While you can't beat the price, I couldn't call it my favorite right now. I am a fan of Ogallala Bay Rum, which has a more pungent and clove scent, which I quite like.

Master does a good job, but the scent is too mild for me. But hey, it's cheap and it does the trick.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I bought a bottle at Sally and was quite impressed. This being my first bottle of Bay Rum, I can't compare it to others, but I like it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This must be one of my fav aftershaves. I have a few types of bay rum and I must say after living with them for awhile Im not really a bay rum guy per say. However, this is my fav of my three!

The put water in it so it doesnt sting like hell fire. Which is nice after some of the others in my collection. Also, there is an added glycerin that moisturizes quite nicely. All in all, a vastly underrated product!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Smells pretty good to me, however my wife hates it (and all bay rums). I still use it though. I like this better than Ogalla's and Pinaud's bay rum, I think it has a better scent. The scent doesn't last a real long time, however, I find this to be more of a positive than a negative. I really don't want a extremely powerful or long lasting bay rum scent. As for the moisturizing properties, I find them to be a little better than your average alcohol based AS. Which to me isn't necessarily a bad thing since I have fairly oily skin. It does burn a bit, but nowhere near as much as Pinaud's bay rum, about average for a alcohol based AS. I had a $5 gift certificate to Sally's (thanks to the wife), so I only payed $2 after tax. Even at full price it is a bargain considering the size of the bottle (15 oz). I would recommend everyone try it, unless of course you hate the smell of bay rum.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)