What's new

Mama Bear's Mandarin Ice

Pros: Great scent, the menthol feels great
Cons: Can't get soap off the outside wood
Price - I can't remember how much I paid, but it was on sale, so I paid less than list

Quality - The soap is clean and does its job well

Scent - I love the scent. A little mild, but with a great menthol kick

Lather - It took a little work, but I get a solid later out of the soap. Enough for four passes and a little buffing.

Efficacy - Not perfrect. I could get a bit more glide and cushion, but not bad at all.

Moisturizing - There are better, but there are worse. It does well enough.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Since my move from the Motor City to the Sunshine state, I have used Mandarin Ice exclusively. The menthol and mandarine scent is spellbinding. Added to the fact that the menthol is very soothing on a hot, humid day in South Florida.

Pro tip: Rub your face down with Aqua Velva Ice Blue after shaving with this and your face will feel refreshed, cool and tingly. Excellent relief from the heat and humidity.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I know there's a review for her Lime Ice, but I love this soap too much not to dedicate a review to it!

I got my Mandarin Ice soap in a trade here on the B&B. I love menthol, I love Mama Bear soaps, so I simply had to acquire a mentholated Mama Bear soap.

Simply put, this soap is amazing. There could be a few improvements, but overall, it's an outstanding performer.

Price: I don't have a problem paying $12 for this soap, but like all glycerin based soaps, it'll be used up a lot quicker than a triple-milled soap. I have a puck of L'Occitane Cade that was $10, and so far it is lasting a lot longer than my Mandarin Ice. Please don't let the price get in your way though. This soap is worth the money.

Scent: I like the scent, but it's not strong enough. The lather on my face gives off no scent at all, and that's a real shame. Still, if you happen to not like the smell, then the lack of it would be a plus.

Lather: This stuff is really easy to lather. You can dump lots of water into the lather, and it'll still hold up. I have a feeling that Mama Bear uses a different formula for this soap than she uses for her other non-mentholated soaps. The lather in Mandarin Ice seems to stick together like glue :blink: That doesn't ever become an issue, however. I get nice think lather every time.

Efficacy: I can't fault the soap at all here. It works better than many other popular brands. If I want a good, easy shave, Mama Bear is where I turn to. I love the cooling effect of the menthol, but I personally would like it it were a little stronger. The soap provides nice cushion and appropriate amounts of slickness.

Moisturizing: It's okay but not fantastic. I don't need to reach for an aftershave balm, so take note that the soap is good in this category. The lather never feels greasy, which is great considering I have oily skin. Overall, since most people apply some sort of aftershave balm, I feel like the moisturizing properties are a bit irrelevant.

Bottom Line: More menthol and more scent would be the only two things I would change about this soap. I'm a newbie to wetshaving and I haven't tried everything. From the products I have tried, this one is stands tall above the rest.

If you like menthol and oranges, buy this soap immediately!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)