What's new

Mama Bear Old Spice type shaving soap

I got this off the BST when another member had an allergic reaction to it. If you have really sensetive skin, I would pass. If you dont, you will be in heaven.

If I had to pick one soap to use for the rest of my life, this would be it.

Great lather with minimal effort, nice and slick, and my skin never feels dry. It just feels great to use this product.

I have a huge selection of soaps (Tabac, MWF, Irisch Moos, Harris, C&E, etc etc) and this is my favorite. It hits the old spice scent dead on. I have the Indian Shulton cream and I still think this is a better representation. Pairs great with the real old spice aftershave and doesnt smell like a cheap knock-off. A+ Sue, you did an amazing job on this one. Gold Star + Smiley face :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Being a great fan of Shulton formula Old Spice this soap was a must-try for me - and it has not been a dissapointment.

proxy.php

Price:
A decent price for a good solid well performing product

Quality:
As good as a non-tallow soap gets really

Scent:
Good old Shulton formula Old Spice - i'm lovin' it :biggrin1:

Lather:
Best lather I have ever gotten from a non-tallow soap

Efficacy:
I expect this puck to hold for ages, I have used this soap several times, but it doesn't seem to get any smaller

Moisturizing:
Not the best moisturizing abilities I have ever experienced from a soap, but far from the worst either

If I ever get to the bottom of this puck I will most surely replace it - this is not the best performing soap in my rotation (that title goes to Mitchell's Wool Fat and the white Proraso), but it does a really good job and the scent is awesome!

Regards.

Jakob
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Introduction: As far as glycerin soaps go, I think Mama Bear's are the favorites here at Badger & Blade. I love the scent of Old Spice. When he was younger, my father would also wear the aftershave. Whenever he came out of the bathroom he smelled like it. I remember of Sunday mornings I would always catch a whiff of it when he would tie my necktie for Sunday morning Mass. I am really looking forward to this soap.

Price: The soap costs $7.99. That isn't too bad at all. I would say the price is good, especially when you consider that Mama Bear's has some of the best glycerin soaps out there. Good value.

Lather: The lather was the same as yesterday's QED, which is a good thing. It did not take long to load the brush and afterwards it only took ten seconds to make a nice, luxurious lather. Bravo, Mama Bear's.

Scent: Here is where I was a little disappointed. The scent is nowhere near as strong as the QED Badger & Blade shaving soap that I used yesterday. The scent was not a pure Old Spice either. Meh, maybe I'm being too picky.

Shave: I received a BBS shave in three passes. The soap did a good job at providing a slick cushion.

Moisturizing properties: My face felt great after my shave. I would say this soap did a good job in the moisturizing department.

Packaging: It comes in a white tub with a black lid. Overall the packaging is a little disappointing. The tubs do not feel as strongly-made as the QED tubs. In fact, they feel a little flimsy. Then again, you pay more for QED, so that might be it.

Final thoughts: Overall I enjoyed this soap. I will most likely be using it to make a superlather with some Old Spice shaving cream I purchased from The Shave Den.

Where to purchase: The only place to purchase this soap is at MamaBearSoaps.com. The cost is $7.99 per tub plus shipping.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
After years of using Aramis with a twin blade Gillette Sensor, I decided to give DE a try. Got lots of ideas here on B&B. I started experimenting early this year (2009). First started with a Slim Adujustable. The Armis worked OK, but not outstanding. The first "new soap" I tried was Mama Bears Old Spice. WOW! I couln't believe the lather I whipped up in just a few seconds.

I now have 3 other soaps in my rotation, and this is still my favorite.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Just got this in the mail today. I am quite pleased indeed. This is not exactly same as OS soap, but darned close. Compared to other soaps retail from the manufacturer, MBs are dirt cheap and better quality too.
I was a long-time user of Old Spice (15+ years) and was very sad when it was discontinued. I had high hopes for Mamas Bears version (Aged Spice) based on the many positive reviews, but unfortunately I seem to have a mild allergic reaction to it. My face turns mildly red and feels excessively dry after use. It has the same effect on my 18 year old son's skin. It's too bad because I do love the Old Spice scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
10's across the board for me. The scent was unreal, the lather slick, the price very friendly! Top that off with Sue being one of the best people to work with around and you have an all around winner.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Received my order from Mama Bears yesterday and was delighted with the Aged Spice soap. Great lather, great scent and not overpowering. I don't know how this lady does it but this stuff rules. Thanks Sally!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.” William A. Foster
sorry, but glycerine soaps just don't do it for me. the lather is so thin that makes me wonder. they don't last that long, are usually as expensive as tallow based soaps thus the value for money ratio is very poor. get the cheap palmolive shaving stick and you will know what i'm talking about.
I love this soap, Old Spice brings back a lot of memories and Mama Bear nailed the scent with this shave soap. I find it easy to create a lather and I get a great shave every time.

I can't speak highly enough of Mama Bears and I can't wait to try their Sandalwood at some point.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I received my first order from Mama Bear's this week and was blown away by the quality of her soaps. I too picked up a bar of "Old Spice" and was instantly reminded of watching my grandfather shave as little boy. He would tell such wonderful stories of his younger days during this ritual..
Nothing but praise for Mama Bear's product.. they smell great, produce awesome lather and provide nostalgic memories from the past.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I bought two tubs of this from Mama Bear and gave one to my Dad. I personally can't say enough about how much I enjoy using this soap. I originally got the idea to buy it because my Dad had gone through a brand new puck of Col. Conk's Bay Rum in less than three weeks, and he doesn't even shave every day. He asked me to get him something that had more scent so I thought I'd give Mama Bear a try. When I found out she made an Old Spice knock off, I didn't think twice. My dad has been using Old Spice for years (he still has an old shaving mug). The first thing I noticed was the scent. I could smell Old Spice before I even opened a tub. My father and I agree that it is a spot on match for the original. I had to wait a week before I could use mine because I couldn't shave, but my Dad tried it right a way and he was in heaven.

Let me start by saying that the only glycerin based soaps I've been using over the past six years or so have been Col. Conk's so that's my point of reference for this review.

The price was only slightly more than I pay for a large cake of Col. Conk's, but the service alone that Sue gives her customers more than made up for the price difference, not to mention the greatly improved packaging that you get from Mama Bear over the packaging from Col. Conk's.

In general I think everything about this soap is better than the Col. Conk's soaps that I've been using exclusively for several years. Don't get me wrong I think Col. Conk's is a great soap, but given my recent experience with Mama Bear's products it will probably be a while before I feel the need to buy any more Col. Conk's soap. So many scents... So little time. I lost count on the number of different soaps that Sue makes.

Given my limited exposure to different soaps, it's easy to say that this is the best soap that I've used so far, but I'll be surprised to find any glycerin soaps that are better.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I like this soap very much. I'm an "Old Spice" guy and have been using the Cologne and After Shave for over 30 years.

While I disagree that the smell is exactly the same as the original, it's close enough. I used the stick today and made the lather directly on my face. It took a little effort but whipped up nicely. Adding a little more water to my brush made it thicken up and peak on my face. The razor glided gently and cut cleanly.

I shaved hours ago but still smell that scent. Hmmm.

Al
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
The more I use it, the more I like it. This is becoming true with the three MB soaps I've had experience with; Aged Spice, Mysore Sandalwood, Green Irish Tweed.

Price: What more can be said? Very inexpensive and allows you to try a range of scents without breaking the bank.

Quality: I found that the trick with MB was to use a little more soap and a little more water, but I was greatly rewarded with the performance that one would only expect from the highest-end soap. The lather just got ridiculous :drool:

Scent: This particular one is terrific. I really enjoy the more powdery note that this one has compared to the "Original" that is sold on store shelves.

Efficacy: A great performer at a great price.

Moisturizing: I actually found this soap highly moisturizing, but not to the point that it made my skin feel oily at all.

-Allen
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is the real deal! If you enjoy 'Old Spice' cologne, you must get this shave soap. Whenever I am feeling nostalgic, this is what I reach for.

The scent, the lather, and the shave make you feel years younger-this is my 'time machine' shave setup.

You cannot go wrong with this SS.

another winner by Mama Sue! :biggrin: :thumbup:

Marty
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price: Mamma Bear's soaps are some of the most inexpensive soaps on the market. The only shavng soap that's cheaper is Williams, but the tablet is half the size.

Quality: As far as glycerine soaps go, this is probably the best soap on the market today.

Scent: I've made my own glycerine soap before using a block from a craft store along with some essential oils that were also sold there. I don't know how she does it. The stuff I made you could hardly smell. Her line of products smells great and has just enough scent to linger, but not overpower.

Lather: I can get the same type of lather with this soap as I do with creams and other products. I believe that lathering is more about the brush and brush technique than the product used.

Moisturizing: Initially this soap tends to make my face feel dry, but glycerine attracts water, so after an hour or so it feel normal or hydrated.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I used Old Spice shaving soap in the well-known bowl with the fishing schooner many years ago, unfortunately, it's no longer made. The other day, I received a Mama Bear soap as a gift which has the EXACT same scent and lather, and gives the EXACT same kind of lovely shave. This stuff is dynamite, and unlike some other soaps which I tried, I get no adverse reactions on my skin at all whatsoever. Great stuff, I highly recommend it to any Old Spice lover.

Jeff
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing