What's new

Malaspina Soap Factory - Old Spice Cream

Malaspina has very generously shared some of their creations with me and this review is the first of them:
Old Spice Shaving Cream

I was suitably impressed by the Canada Post-proof packaging, a nice sturdy little plastic tub (very impressed, given the state of the package itself). I assume it's recyclable but I did not look on the bottom for the little symbol. I will tonight.

Please remember that I always do certain things: I use a washcloth to soak my face, use a boar brush by default, face lather and shower after I shave. Another given is how hard Calgary water is, a true test for any soap or cream. For this test, I used a Feather DX with a fresh blade,which is pretty much the shaving equivalent of keeping large cats as pets.

The cream is significantly different from other creams I've used. Rather than a paste, it is approximately the consistency of aftershave balm. I should add here that it would be most unwise to open it sideways or inverted. It's appearance made me smile for a reason that won't make much sense to most of you. There is a product called Aveeno Bath, which I have had occasion to use from time to time, being accident prone and of an itchy nature to begin with.

Given the consistency of it, I did some playing around with amounts and extra water, (please remember that I am face latherer). At first, I thought Calgary water had defeated their efforts, then I had a thought. I grabbed a stir stick and stirred the contents for a few seconds, then tried again. I briefly soaked the brush and dipped about 1/8 of the brush edge in the cream. This time, I achieved a nice, even lather with only a few seconds of face swirling and the stirring seemed to bring the scent additive to the top as well. That scent filled the bathroom and stayed on my skin through part of the shower and was still noticeable in the air after coming out. Hey, you're either an OLD Old Spice guy or you're not. I was not able to accurately judge the lubrication with the finger press test. The cushion is almost nonexistent with this cream (under the conditions of prep and water described), which I find perfectly acceptable, as I do not like trying to press through a layer of soap with a bare blade.

The Feather generally requires the lightest of touches, or you will bleed and get significant razor road rash. Trust me, Feather razor burn is in a class of its own. I started very carefully, seeing where the limits of this cream's protection were. Soon, I was confidently using long sweeping strokes, as the cream proved able to both help the stubble stand up a bit and plenty of lubrication to keep the blade moving. I was even able to get the angled, tricky parts quite smooth and leave the skin where it belongs. No bleeding, no weepers, no burn (this is being written about four hours after the shave).

After I showered, I did something I rarely do. I re-lathered my whole face and only gently rinsed it off, to keep the scent with me. About four hours in, it's still there.

So, to sum up:

N/A Price and shipping: Malaspina very generously enlisted me to try this

10/10 Packaging and shipping quality: Very sturdy little tub survived far better than the package, which had seen some major abuse.

8.5/10 Appearance: It's a little odd in appearance but the performance makes you forget. Just don't forget to NOT open it unless it's upright.

9.5/10 Scent: Very pleasant scent after stirring and while using it's terrific, not exact but very close to Shulton

9.5/10 Latherability: Excellent, after stirring and once you play around with technique a bit

9.5/10 Lubrication: Thin but effective layer, able to use it with a Feather.

9/10 Cushion: Almost non-existent cushion, which I like but which might take some getting used to if you're used to what comes out of, say, Musgo.

8/10 Amount of product: Somewhat more than might be used with a paste cream. I think the amount used will diminish as I get used to how much water to use.

9.5/10 After-effects: Unable to detect any burn or heat or tight face syndrome. Again, the scent is with me because I lathered up again after my shower

In short: I think it's a fine cream and one that will get used more often than not. I am going to (reluctantly) pass it around to three more straight shavers I know locally and add their input when I get it. In short, great job, Malaspina Thank you very much for allowing me to test your products

Regards,

- John
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)