What's new

LUSH Prince Shaving Cream

Pros: None
Cons: Just about everything
After spreading a generous amount of this product on my face, I could feel the scraping of my Astra blade in my Fat Boy razor (set on 3) as it mowed down the stubble on my face and generously exfoliated the top few layers of my skin. If I had shaved with a blowtorch, it would have felt better. This product has absolutely NO redeeming qualities whatsoever.

The 1's in my review aren't 0's because I don't have that option in the pull down menu. Seriously, this stuff is a waste of the recycled (yay!) plastic container!

Forcing a prison inmate to shave with this stuff would be cruel an unusual punishment. A man waiting on death row would likely put the needle in his own arm before using this stuff twice.

AVOID AVOID AVOID!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
First of all this is a brushless non-lathering shaving cream. Let me say it one more time. you do not lather this cream. I think it was clear on the tub, on the store display and the sales associate even me one more time. This shaving cream does not lather.

So how do you use it? Well This is what I did. After I stepped out of the shower I applied some of the cream to my beard by hand. The product wasn't caked on but it was a liberal application. I did a downward pass, rinsed and reapplied. I did this for each pass until I was done. No sting, no razor burn, no nicks or cuts. It was a great shave!

This product is a little pricey for what it is but the product is high quality. The over all sent is bland, in fact some may not like it at all. Do I really need to mention this is not a lathering shaving cream again? Not needing a brush or even to work up a lather makes this a very fast and easy product to use. It washes clean away with little residue. My skin felt refreshed and like butter by the time I was done. By far the best of any shaving cream I used. I didn't even bother with a post shave balm. The product comes in a nice recycled plastic tub. If you save the tubs Lush will give you a free product one when you return 5.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I, like others, bought this as a result of a female friends general enthusiasm for the Lush brand.

Yes it's a brushless cream. Yes it works ok.

Alas it in no way resembles a manly shaving experience. Instead it's an experience akin to stealing your girlfriends moisturiser and shaving with that.

Not my cup of tea.
I picked some of this up on a recent trip to Perth. When I felt the consistency I asked the sales lady about its latherability to which she replied it not intended to foam up. Sure enough when I got home and perused the packaging it said the same thing.

Price: $20 for a large tub makes this pretty average costwise in my experience

Quality: As some others have stated, the ingredients are supposed to be pretty top notch. It certainly gives that impression.

Scent: I have a weak sense of smell but admit I'm partial to this scent. Its not what I'd use everyday but its nice all the same.

Latherability: NA really, but it slides on very easily like moisturiser.

Efficacy: I think this is where the main controversy comes. If you're looking at it for what it is - a brushless nonfoaming cream then you'll enjoy the experience. As some others have said it is a very quick procedure and can be used without much water.
If however you want something to lather up and use this will leave you wanting.

Moisturizing Properties: This is the products saving grace IMO. So far the most moisturising shave I've had, probably because it's like shaving with moisturiser instead of cream. If you are looking for something moisturising look no further.

Packaging: Guess it hasn't changed much - cheap black plastic pot.
I'm not a brushless man - I enjoy the whole ritual of lathering up with a brush far too much .
However, I wandered into Lush to see what they had on offer, whilst Mrs Highwayman and Highwayman Junior were checking out trainers next door.
After taking a whiff of this and thinking , yuk, I was persuaded to try a sample by a young female salesperson.
Overall I would say that I agree with what Govenor 11201 has posted.
I found it to be a reasonable brushless cream and I got a decent shave out of it, but I wouldn't fork out £8 for it, especially as I can get the same result for £2 from Boots Brushless Lather or Shavex.
You'll have a better shave if you use beaten egg whites!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
I'm quite surprised some tried to lather this cream, the salesgirl was quite clear about it being brushless.

Anyway, it is a very luxurious feeling cream, very very moisturizing. No need to wash it away after shaving, or no need to add any post-shave cream or skin food. The scent is absolutely wonderful; a light orange/tangerine smell. Based on how much I love smelling it, I'd give it a 10, BUT I'm knocking off points because while it's a smell I love, it's not exactly something I like to smell like. It's certainly not a very manly smell.

On to efficiency, the thick cream does a great job of protecting the face. Perhaps too good a job, as it doesn't let the razor get close enough to the skin for a really close shave. It does work well enough, though, but it's not ideal.

I got the smaller tub, and I'd say the packaging is adequate. Considering it replaces a moisturizer and is brushless, the small tub is a good candidate for a travel cream.

The price is about right for how rich the cream feels; it is obviously made from high quality ingredients. It's just a shame that the product wasn't designed more thoughfully.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I have to say I'm surprised at how poorly this has been reviewed. Particularly misguided are the rants about its latherability, it is after all a brushless cream.

I've used this product frequently on days when I need a quicky shave, in and out in under five minutes with two passes and only a military style shower as prep. Under these less than ideal situations, this is a good performer. There are better contenders for the money, but this stuff is worth a try.

Price: At $12.50 for 3.5 ounces, this is pricy stuff, especially considering it has less shelf less than other products, and you will tend to use more of it per shave than other products. However, you are also paying for the natural/organic materials that go into

Quality: I believe the quality of the base products to be high. This manufacture prides itself on using natural/organic materials whenever possible, which may matter to you depending upon your political/philosophical bent (For me it's nice, but I'm pretty sure if I was told the best shave goo came from the last surviving animal of its species combined with known carcinogens I'd say kill the critter and roll the dice).

Scent: God this stuff smells bad, a sickly orange julius scent, but other do say they like the smell.

Latherability: Again, this is a brushless cream. Don't be sticking your brush into this stuff, it can do neither the brush nor the cream any good.

Efficacy: The stuff works well. You have to be prepared that this a very different feel than other creams, it doesn't feel slick or neccesarily smooth, and needs a bit of water to really get going. You'll also need to rinse your razor off repeatedly under running water to get the stickly stuff off for your next pass. Where this really shines though is in providing a protective layer between you and the razor, it can be very forgiving of bad shave prep.

Moisturizing Properties: This stuff will cling to your face, which I first thought wasn't good, but I swear you could use this as a moisturizer and be well off.

Packaging: It comes in thin shelled, black plastic container that doesn't travel or store well.

Overall: Recommended for special situations - quick shave with limited beard prep.

From the Website:

Linseed Mucilage (Linum usitatissimum), Rose Water (Rosa centifolia), Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Glycerine, Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana), Linseed Oil (Linum usitatissimum), Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii), Beeswax (Cera alba), Triethanolamine, Perfume, Neroli Oil (Citrus amara), Orange Flower Absolute (Citrus Dulcis), Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides), Orange Oil (Citrus dulcis), Mandarin Oil (Citrus nobilis), Tincture of Benzoin (Styrax benzoin), Rose Absolute (Rosa centifolia), *Citral, *Limonene, *Linalool, Hydroxycitronellol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

*Naturally occurs in essential oils
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Lush razorantum is much better......
Same general story here. My wife raves about Lush in general (and the moisturizer she uses is admittedly really good). So, I gave their "for heaviest beard" cream a try.

I applied it brushless, even reapplying for each pass (thinking that'd help). It was stunningly unimpressive. I threw the unused sample out half-way.

Note: Because I used a free sample, I didn't rate packaging (I gave it the "board average" so far); ditto for scent (I have next to no sense of smell). I can't recall it's moisturizing level so ditto there.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
I am a fan of Lush stuff, I was introduced to the place by an ex-girlfriend about five years ago.

However, their shaving creams are not shaving cream as we know it. They do not lather and are not to be used with brushes. Just smear a layer of the stuff on wet face. They are not designed to be used with sharp DE or straight razors. They do a reasonable job in a travel bag with a cartridge razor should you only take carry-on luggage.

They are utterly unique shaving products. I stopped using them over a year ago when I started to search for a better shave...

Their shampoos, conditioners, soaps, shower gels, bubble baths, and moisturisers are all great though.
As this is basically the same cream I decided to add it to this review.

Price - this stuff is worthless. They couldn't pay me to use it again.

Quality - crap

Scent - this is where the prince and Razorantium differ as this one also smells like crap

Latherability - never tried to do it with a brush, just couldn't make myself do that kind of harm to my poor brush.

Efficacy - probably the worst out of anything I have ever used (foam, gel, etc)

Moisturizing properties - this is where it gets its only 2 worthless points as it does moisturize your skin. But its so horrible I don't feel I can give it any more points.

Packaging - comes in a crappy black thin plastic jar.

Chris
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
I'm fairly positive using a moisturizing body lotion would be the equivalent to shaving with this stuff. :mad3:
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Lousy. :thumbdown
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
The only product I've ever thrown away.

Price: Entirely irrelevant. Not worth it at any cost. Not worth walking ten feet into the store to ask for a free sample. Not worth taking precious seconds out of the life of your conscious mind in order to even consider it.

Quality: If this is anything near quality, I'm switching back to Barbasol.

Scent: Superb. It's orange, but not a single-note so there's complex layers which aren't overpowering. Less of a "scent", more of an "aroma".

Latherability: Don't even think about it. I put a massive scoop in my bowl and went to lather it and it disappeared. Literally. This was not a good sign and I should have considered myself warned, but I thought this must be the weakest cream in the world so I doubled the amount. Now I could see a greasy white film on the bowl and brush. That is as good as it got, and by "good", i mean "terrible". It took me half an hour to clean my brush well enough to be able to finish by lathering up some real cream.

Efficacy: So, being the foolish trooper that I am, I decided to try it brushless anyway. That experiment lasted for a single stroke of the razor. Enough said.

Moisturizing Properties: After this single stroke, I put my razor down and returned to the bedroom where I keep my shaving stash, for there was no way I was destroying my face in order to provide this review with grotesque pictures. Upon returning to the bathroom twenty seconds later, I looked in the mirror to discover that the Lush "cream" had dried already and, had I been meaning to actually continue shaving with it, I would have had to reapply altogether.

Packaging: Black tub. It's okay.

Please discuss this review here.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)