What's new

Lucky Tiger Bay Rum Aftershave

I bought this after having used Master Bay Rum and I now much prefer the Lucky Tiger. As we know Master AS of all scents can be as subtle as a marching band. The Lucky Tiger however is just right. And SWMBO likes it too.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is a fairly decent Bay Rum. Similar to the other reviewers I would disagree with the original poster and say that the scent is definitely Bay Rum, it is just very, very mild.

According to the company's literature Lucky Tiger have been making this since 1935 and I can only assume the scent is as mild as it is because the product dates from a time when men wearing strong perfume would have been considered sissy. Basically, this is a basic alcohol splash with a mild bay rum scent, which is not very strong or long lasting. That said, the scent is very pleasant and my wife likes it. I must confess that having been a fan of Pinaud Bay Rum for a while, I was initially a bit disappointed about how mild the Lucky Tiger is. However, I've found it has grown on me and I actually prefer the Lucky Tiger to the Pinaud now. Basically it is a mild but masculine scent.

Lucky Tiger Bay Rum is basically just alcohol, water and scent. As far as the label goes it contains no moisturizers such as glycerin or castor oil. But, when I use it I do not find it to be drying. Whatever ratio of ingredients they use it seems to leave your skin basically in neutral balance as far as moisture goes.

There is almost no alcohol burn with this product, which is very unusual for a bay rum. Most bay rums have a really bad burn (read Pinaud!). So, if you are looking for a bay rum which is pleasant to actually apply I would not hesitate to recommend this one.

My only complaint about this product is that it contains Octaacetate. This is an agent which produces a bitter taste and is the same chemical used in products to help people stop biting their nails. I have no idea why Lucky Tiger decided to do this, I assume winos were drinking too much of their product and so they wanted to discourage this:blink:. In any case this means that when you apply this product naturally some will go on your lips and so you may experience a little bit of a bitter taste on your lips after you have finished shaving.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is a very nice, inexpensive Bay Rum. Comes in a huge plastic bottle with a flip-top lid.

I had virtually no alcohol burn with this - a few seconds of heat but no stinging or horrific pain. It left my face smooth and nice feeling - it seems relatively moisturizing for an alcohol-based aftershave. I didn't feel that I needed a balm to follow it.

The scent is mild, complex and delightful. Vanilla, leather, spice, classic, inoffensive and masculine. I totally agree with the above poster-nothing overpowering or overwrought about this, just an understated, sophisticated smell. Not a very powerful scent, nor does it seem to last all that long, but very nice. A great barbershop aftershave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I love this stuff. The price is great. You get a huge bottle for a few dollars.

I respectfully disagree with the above posted about the scent. The Bay Rum scent is not as "in your face" as much as others, but it's definitely there. It's not obnoxious like some Bay Rums. I personally think the smell is much more refined and sophisticated smelling that Pinaud Bay Rum. Pinaud almost smells like poop to me. The scent isn't very clovey, just spicey, manly, and clean, with a little clove--a well rounded, balanced Bay Rum.

This isn't a whole lot of flare to this stuff. Not very moisturizing, but that doesn't mean it's not any good. It's just plain aftershave splash, and that's it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Arrived in a 16 oz. plastic bottle for less than eight dollars shipped.

LT Bay Rum AS is a decent aftershave- it has a brisk feeling with little sting. It has slight moisturizing qualities with an adequate cooling effect.

I'm not crazy about the scent, however. You can't compare this to Pinaud Bay Rum, or even Masters for that matter. It's like a cheap knock off of Clubman Bay Rum, more barbicide than genuine Bay Rum. A very weak chemical scent that wears off within the hour.

What scent is there is comparable to Lustray Bay Rum- in fact I can barely tell a difference between the two. Bay Rum is a unique chemistry that goes two ways- right or wrong. I think Lucky Tiger got it wrong here.

So if you want a decently performing aftershave at an adequate price, this would be a good choice. If you're craving genuine Bay Rum, stay away.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)