What's new

Lucky Tiger "After-Shave Toner"

I just got a bottle of this in the mail today and will post a full review later, but I just wanted to note that since the review back in 2010, Lucky Tiger no longer contains methylparaben, and indeed the packaging now proclaims "Paraben Free".
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I stumbled upon this while ordering Bronner's bath soap from one of the big discount vitamin/supplement places. I had always thought of Lucky Tiger as being one of the cheap, greasy hair tonics the small-town barbers use, but this product has changed my image of the company.

No burn - none. (I suppose that I'll have to use a different product to point out flaws in my shaving technique.:laugh:) I like the light citrus scent which fades quickly enough that in very few minutes you could apply cologne without conflict. It left my face smooth without any greasiness; and while it feels slightly oily as applied, that feeling leaves quickly.

This one is a keeper. I just realized that I haven't touched another aftershave in two weeks; I have several I like and usually rotate them, but I seem to look at them and then grab the Lucky Tiger instead.

The price varies from $24-$12 depending on the source, so it pays to shop around a bit.
I may be reviewing a slightly different product - my bottle is labeled "After Shave/Face Toner" but has the same ingredients (chamomile/aloe vera/WH) and citrus scent described here. Picked up a bottle for $14 at my local barbershop and I've been happy with the results so far - the scent is pleasant but fleeting, and moisturizes very well without leaving a greasy or tacky feeling like some balms I've tried. It's nice to splash on in the morning post-shower even when I haven't shaved, so that's a plus, but I'm not sure whether the citrus scent and chamomile ingredient justifies the extra $7 over my bottle of Thayer's, though - I'll see how I feel once the bottle is done. Should last at least 6 months.

Edit: Forgot ratings and also to note that this product contains methylparaben. I haven't had an issue with it, but others might want to know before buying a bottle. However, with an abundance of other, cheaper (and arguably better) toners on the market, I probably won't be purchasing another bottle of this.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I find CraigK review to be reflective of my use/take on this product. I am paying $8.88 per bottle which is cheaper than Thayer's in my marketplace. I have completely replaced my use of witch hazel with Lucky Tiger "After-Shave Toner". I use a aftershave first then follow with a splash of Lucky Tiger for those days my shave has been a little to aggressive. I have used it more this winter as it is a great moisturizing toner on cold dry days as I head out the door. I would also recommend it use to everyone. For me its a standard reorder. Current bottle reaches half full I purchase a replacement.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Usually I like a nice alcohol burn after a shave but whenever I have a rough shave and do not want to put any alcohol on top, I reach for this stuff and it always cools things down. The witch hazel and other plant extracts help put out the fire and the soothing orange smell has a calming aromatherapeutic effect. I think it is great stuff and just a little goes a long way.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Great product. I gave it a '7' for cooling sensation because for me, while it leaves my face feeling very great, the citrus notes are more 'refreshing' than 'cooling'.

I use this product almost daily, with great results.
D
Where is this available in Canada?
My wife picked some of this up for me last week and I have been using it since. This is a nice product. Price: $14.99CDN The first time using it, I applied it in the same manner as regular aftershave. I did notice that it does not take care of razor burn as well as alcohol based products but it does work, just takes longer. So now I apply the Lucky Tiger AS first then follow up with some Skin Bracer. Hard to believe but both scents blend very well together. If you see this product, pick some up! It's another great addition to any routine.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I use either this or Em's moisturizing toner at the end of each shave, right after the cold water rinse. The scent doesn't last too long, so it doesn't interfere with my scent of the day.

It's about twice the price of Thayer's, and it can be hard to find, but it's well worth it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have this AS as part of my rotation. A little goes a long way for me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
When I first bought Lucky Tiger I had become so comfortable with Thayer's I felt maybe this mild orange scented stuff wasn't going to work out. But I tried it again and very happy I did. The scent is a nice, mild orange citrus. Not overpowering like Thayer's rose and lavender, which I find can really stick with you throughout the day. After a few more days of use it seemed different or should I say my face felt better compared to using Thayer's. I hadn't really paid much attention to what was in the bottle besides knowing it was a Witch Hazel, but after reading the bottle closer I started to understand why my face felt better. When I apply Witch Hazel I don't like to rinse off the applications because I really want the Witch Hazel to soak in and calm down any irritation. This is where I believe Lucky Tiger is better than Thayer's. When I apply Lucky Tiger and let it soak in, often applying twice, I've notice a big improvement in my face. It feels better, looks better, no dry skin and I can shave comfortably day to day. I also like to apply CAR's Sandalwood A/S balm afterwards, this combination provides for a very intoxicating blend of oranges and Sandalwood.

Price - $14.95

Packaging - No outer plastic protective covering. Bottle is made of amber colored plastic. The amber plastic I assume keeps UV rays from damaging the vitamin enriched toner.

Ingredients - Purified water, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Polysorbate 20, Cellreplen^, Glycerin (Vegetable based), Organic Chamomile Extract*, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aea Mays (Corn) Oil, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3, Trisodium EDTA, Sodium Benzoate, Methyl Paraben, Essential Oils of Citrus.

*Certified Organic.
^Cellreplen is a proprietary blend of anti-oxidants, vitamins and essential fatty acids, designed to nourish, protect and revitalize the skin.

Effectiveness- Soothes the face as any Witch Hazel should. Do the extra ingredients like the Vitamin E, D3 A, Aloe and Chamomile make it better, absolutely!

Application Method - Designed to be used as a splash, but works much better if used with an atomizer.

Quality/Scent - A very nice orange citrus scent, which blends well with the remnants of Sandalwood shaving cream. I also found it pairs up nicely with Lime, 1805, and Eton College.

Overall - This is my goto Witch Hazel. Or in this case, "After-Shave Toner". I'm currently on my second bottle since really becoming a hard core wet shaver. I highly recommend it.

attachment.php
Top Bottom