What's new

Lord Racer

Pros: Smoothness, price, longevity
Cons: none
This product works very well on my face, providing a very smooth and comfortable two-pass shave, which is my standard (I do not shave directly against the grain.) It seems to work best in fairly aggressive razors. No problems with nicks and no irritation. Very forgiving.

Usually, I'm satisfied with 3 shaves per blade, but generally these seem to last me for four. They always leave my face with that "rubbery" feeling. They are somewhat loud; but I consider that feedback rather than a criticism. They are sharp enough, but not as sharp as some. Since everyone's face and technique is different, this might NOT be the blade if you are into the four-pass BBS shave, but for all others I highly recommend trying these out. At the price, there's not much to lose here.

Until the recent massive price decreases in the cost of some of the best Russian blades, I would have considered these as a possibility as a candidate for "most bang for the buck." They are still an excellent value, even though there is now much stronger competition for that award due to the collapse of the Russian ruble.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive and really works for me
Cons: I use everyday for years and cant think of one downside
I have been using these blades for years now and I love them. I have a softer beard and of the blondish nature and shave 3 passes generally every other day and sometimes every day. I use a Gillette Fat Boy, New Open Comb and Merkur Progress on 1 ¾ and the Slim on nos 2. I tried Derby (ok, but not as sharp but good long life), Feather ( sharp but doesnt last as long), and the others just didnt seem to fit as well as the Racer. It is a fantastic everyday blade. I can easily get a week out of each one. They are sharp and not so sharp that you have to be scared but they will cut you if you don’t pay attention. The only blade that seems to come closest to the Racer is the Astra. I really really like the Racer and so much so I bought about 8 years worth just in case they go out of production. Great blade.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: very smooth and comfortable, cheap
Cons: too smooth ???
I got a pack of these as part of a sampler pack from Connaught. There are 10 individually wrapped blades in the pack. Each blade is double wrapped in it's own little envelope and then with wax paper around it. I like the Racer packaging if only because it has a nostalgic feel about it.

I was initially disappointed in this blade and although the shave in a EJ DE86 was very smooth and very comfortable it wasn't very close and I doubted a second shave with the blade would do anything. However as I work my way through the sampler I've now noticed I'm using one of these after every other blade and I'm putting that first poor shave down to my early technique as I now get a very good shave with this blade.

It's not a sharp as a Feather or a Shar SC, my other favourite brand, but I get a very close shave with it. The biggest strenght is that comfort and smoothness. I've not had even the slightest burn or discomfort, especially around the bottom of my neck where I do get some discomfort when using some blades.

I never shave past the 3rd shave with a blade so I can't comment on longevity other to say I still get a good shave on the 3rd day before binning the blade.

I really like these blades and it's been a little bit of a subconcious decision that I keep returning to them regularly as I go through my sampler. These are very cheap here in the uk and you can get 200 for £12 ( + p+p) from places like Connaught. I certainly think once the sampler is through I'll at least invest in 100 of them just to have a nice easy, comfortable shave whenever the need comes up.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, smoothness, longevity
Cons: May not be sharp enough for some
Well I am new to the wet shaving world (a little over a month in) and I have been amazed by all the interesting looking blades, and I will admit the thing that got me interested in Racer Blades is the packaging! I am a long distance runner and I love the packaging of this, so due to this I go on ebay and find 30 blades for sale, a big risk if I do not like them. Overall I find them to be very good blades. Not surprisingly I find they perform very similar to the Shark super stainless blades, which is also a brand of Lord Razors. I can get about a good week of shaves out of both this blade and the shark. The racer does not seem quite as sharp as the Shark, but fairly close. Overall I find the racer to be a smooth and sharp enough blade for me, and I love the fact that they seem to last me a week. I think they are a good value and are worth trying especially if you enjoy other Lord products.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smmoth
Cons: none
Awsome awsome! my favorite new blade!!!! just ordered 100, tryem out there awsome like all Lord blades!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
First off I'd like to thank iamdarkangel2005 for sending me a sample of these blades. For anyone looking to try these, I believe he now carries them. For a point of reference I usually use an old type open comb. Anyway, to the review.

Price: I didn't pay anything for these. I don't know what iamdarkangel2005 charges for these, but bestgroomingtools carries them for $1.65 for a 5 pack, cheaper in larger quantities. Not quite as cheap as derby's, but certainly much cheaper than gillettes or feathers.

Quality: These blades seem high quality. Nothing wrong, nothing extraordinary.

Sharpness: This to me is the hit or miss. These blades are no feathers. The best comparison I can make is to the black gillette super platinums. They are sharp enough, but extremely forgiving. No tug and pull, but while they cut well you arent gonna get that super close feather shave. Its a trade off.

Longevity: I usually get 3 good shaves from a blade. These seem to last for 4. So i'd say that longevity is higher than normal.

Smoothness of Shave This to me is one of the best aspects of these blades. These blades are very smooth and forgiving. You can get a great shave that leaves your face feeling smooth. But they won't give you that almost rubbery cheek feeling you get from an ultra close shave, if that makes sense.

Packaging: I have no idea what a guy in swim trunks or racers have to do with these razor blades, but I find the packaging very nostalgic and really cool. Its different, but in a good way.

Bottom line, these are good blades at a good price. They are forgiving and give a close, comfortable shave. I think they offer the least neck irritation of any blade i've used. These blades provide a standard close shave, but are smoother than normal. If that appeals to you, then by all means try these.
Top Bottom