What's new

Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP.1822 (with new Merkur Like Head)

Pros: An excellent shaver at a low cost. High recommended.
Cons: Handle can feel cheap.....thats it really!
I have used this razor for well over a year now as I was taking a break from spending my income on shaving products (I know.... I have sinned :-( lol).

What I can say is that I have found this razor absolutely delightful. Even though it has a head similar to Merkur, in reality it feels a lot more smooth to me than a merkur razor and, in fact, I sold my merkur razors after getting this one.

I guess some members (depending on beard growth) may find this one a little less aggressive and those who like posh things may find it a little cheap, but ultimately this is a simple 3 part razor that can last for years and that performs well.

Perfect as a starter and for those on a budget. Highly recommended and rated excellent for that reason. I do not know of a cheaper razor that delivers that good a shave.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price and effectiveness
Cons: You will not pass this on to your grandsons
If you want value, the Lord 1822 delivers. It was my first DE razor and I'm not sure I've ever had a better shave since I moved on to more expensive razors. The aluminum handle makes the balance wonky, but you get used to it quickly. The Lord 1822 is smooth and forgiving, but also gives a mighty good shave. The quality, however, is lacking. I already see a tiny bit of plate loss and some discoloration. If you want an heirloom, look elsewhere.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this for a while now. I absolutely love this razor. It has allowed me to perfect my technique as a DE newboy to the extent that I can now get a BBS when I want to.

The longer handle gives it perfect balance and seems much more sensible to me than many of the highly rated razors with short stubs as surely a sharp blade in a soapy environment demands better grip ?

I think for the low price it cannot be bettered, and I know when I rub my face each morning that it will be impossible for me to buy a razor that will give better results.

It's only flaw is the slight finish defects on the head. Nothing major to be honest and nothing to effect the shave. It's just not "perfect".

This little fella is with me for keeps. Nature decrees I will "upgrade" and I have ordered a Merkur long handled classic to hopefully replicated the performance but with a top range implement - which is silly but hey :blushing:

But it's this razor that will be in my suitcase forever, and will stay in thE rotation regardless.

Buy one and see - from a results perspective there isn't a need for anything else w:wink2:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
So a business trip snuck up on me and I forgot to mail DE blades ahead. I decided, at the last minute, to use my Amazon Prime to have something shipped ahead to my hotel using the $4/item overnight shipping option. There were no blades I was interested in in small quantities, so I decided to take a gamble on the Lord L6 3-piece razor which also included a single Lord Super Stainless blade. This is the newer version with Merkur style head, compared to the older L5 with Tech style head. Total cost was $11 + $4 shipping, though free 2-day Prime or Super Saver shipping is by far a better value if you're not in a hurry.

When I arrived and checked in they brought my package to me. When I opened it in my room I was initially surprised by the overall quality feel, especially of the head. The handle also doesn't feel cheap, though somewhat light due to its machined aluminum build. Other than a few plating imperfections, I can say the build quality is much better than what I expected for the price. The balance, while still head-heavy, still feels natural and the handle length (and the moment arm it can induce) helps compensate for the handle's overall light weight.

I decided to go ahead and shave tonight since I hadn't since yesterday morning. On top of the fairly natural balance, I was shocked by how natural it was to find the correct blade angle, mainly due to the pronounced curve of the head compared to Tech style heads and most TTOs. Also, thankfully, cheap doesn't equate to overly mild as is the case with many inexpensive razors. There's plenty of blade gap and the blade angle allows for a very deep handle angle, much more like that of a cartridge razor. The overall effect is a really easy natural feeling shave. This is all with Proraso lathered in a hotel room low-ball glass that was about 20% too tall for my travel brush, so my lubrication was not a saving grace either.

I was a bit hesitant to try a new razor and blade while on the road, but it was pretty much my only option other than a cart or disposable. I'm really glad I did and, after I finish my controlled blade test, something tells me this might displace (or at least join) my Super Adjustable in my home rotation. I'm hoping it uses the same thread size as the Travel Tech I also have on the way... and if it is a Tech thread match, this lowly Lord head might even be transplanted on to a Bull Mastiff or other custom handle on down the road.

The ease of adjusting to this new razor also leads me to think this might be the ideal beginner razor, especially for those not too interested in sourcing a vintage razor. It's by far a better choice than the overly mild Chinese TTOs like Weishi and Ming Shi. This $11 razor and a $4 CVS VDH boar/bowl/soap kit would be an amazing way for anyone to get into DE wet shaving for just $15 total!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
As a newbie I can only second talibeard. This is a great one to start with. Can not go wrong with it. Like it better than my Gillette 7 o'Clock. As it's all metal it feels better in my hand. The balance and weight of the razor make it hard to put pressure on when you hold it as a dart. So less chance of cutting and nicking (though I didn't have any of that anyway).
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I tried to avoid this review but now Michiganlover came out I just have to do so too.

Little DE background; started with an Astra TTO, followed by a Merkur 25C a 33C (and by switching handles also the 15C and 23C) and a 37G. There are also the Mühles R89 (old Fatip head), R41 & 89 (new models) the old Lord LP1822 (tech type) and LP111 as well as the Wilkinson classic and a Dorco DE.

Since there where no Lords available in the Netherlands I contacted the Egyptian factory and they were so kind to send me several samples of the old LP1822. Enough anyway to forward one of those to my favourite dutch vendor. He liked it so much he started to import these razors but he got the "new" ones. So, eventually, I did.

They are simply unbelievably good. Ok they do not look as good as my Merkurs, let alone the Mühles, but all that the Merkurs do since I got one is collecting dust.
Not that I didn't like the Merkurs (till I new better!) but the Lord is simply outperforming them.

The only real competition is coming from the new Mühles; they really shave great too and have a fit and finish that is a lot better than on any of my other razors but at the end of the day it is the "new" Lord that is getting more action than all of my other razors combined ! Go figure !

They are so easy to use and performing so well that I have a few stocked for when my eldest is coming to his shaving age; I can't think of a better razor to learn the trade with than this one.
And after you learned shaving with this new Lord a lot of disappointments will follow when you try to upgrade I am afraid !

YMMV, but when you do have the chance to lay your hands on one of these don't hesitate; they will only set you back a few bucks but you are in for a big surprise !
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I wanted to put up a review for the Lord Premium Safety Razor, Model 1822, with the new Merkur Like Head. This razor existed in an earlier rendition with a tech like head, and that is the model currently being sold in the us (and reviewed here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34663).

Hopefully at some point the newer model with the Merkur like head becomes available, as this razor is wonderful!!

I have dubbed this razor the "Lord Merkur Tech".

This razor does a superb job! It also has a longer than usual handle, which is always a benefit for those of us with bigger hands.

This is a 3 piece model razor, and as you might know 3 piece models are extremely durable; they are built like a tank, only repeated dropping will render them un-usable.

While I think the razor shaves wonderfully, I did take a few points off in terms of overall quality: if you compare this model to a higher end model, side by side, there will be a noticeable difference in the quality of the plating. This is purely aesthetics though, and doesn't affect the quality of the shave.

If this were widely available in the US, this would be the go to razor I would recommend for budget minded newbies, as it is just that good. :001_tt1:

P.S. In spirit of full disclosure, I feel the need to tell you that I "created" this razor by switching parts on two separate razors, since this in not widely available in the us:

I bought a "Lord Tech" and a "Lord Smart" from Shoebox Shave Shop, and simply traded the plastic handle on the "Lord Smart" for the metal handle on the "Lord Tech". This results in the identical razor being sold by Lord as the model 1822 with the Merkur like Head. :biggrin:
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Quaznoid
Quaznoid
Lord L5 and L6 are both extraordinarily good razors. IMHO, the best value in all of shavedom
Top Bottom