What's new

Lord Platinum

Pros: Smooth and sharp
Cons: None
I found these to be wonderful.
Sharp and smooth, on par with Crystals and Derby for me.

I got three good shaves out of these which is normal for a decent blade on my mug.

Although they seemed rough on the ATG pass they did give me a BBS and it was irritation free.

I think they're not as good as Personna labs, Astra SP or the Tescos but I will happily use all of them I have in the sampler I got.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: smooth and forgiving and about as cheap as they come.!
Price and smoothness really do it for me on this one. $10 for
100 blades!! I get super comfortable shave outa these blades however they don't last very long at optimal sharpness (2 shaves tops). The nice thing is though is that there is no initial rough shave with these.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I received 5 of these from lli about 6 months ago, soon after I first started shaving with a DE. I found I could get good results with Derbys right off so stuck with them as a rule until trying Feathers and DORCOs more consistently of late. Giving them the benefit of the doubt and attributing any poor results to my poor technique, I held off writing a review. But even now, every attempt to shave with these blades is aborted before even the end of the first pass. They grab and produce irritation wtg and xtg consistently.

While I can't say with authority that these results are the fault of the blade, I've gotten excellent results with any of the 12-15 blades I've tried, with the exception of the odd "bad blade." Most will allow me to finish 4 passes with little to no irritation at this point and more than one will deliver a very tolerable shave with two quick passes. These were never comfortable, and one gave me the first of my DE nicks.

I tried these mostly in a HD, a SS, and the Feather Portable that was my stently.

While I can't say with authority that these results are the fault of the blade, I've gotten excellent results with any of the 12-15 blades I've tried, with the exception of the odd "bad blade." Most will allow me to finish 4 passes with little to no irritation at this point and more than one will deliver a very tolerable shave with two quick passes. These were never comfortable, and one gave me the first of my DE nicks.

I tried these mostly in a HD, a SS, and the Feather Portable that was my clear favorite for a while, but enough is enough.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
slickster514;891425 said:
Just a quick comment about Lord Blades......
I have an email from the export manager at Lord that confirms that the Platinum Class, Super Chrome, etc., are in fact all the same blade aimed at different markets. Their blades are Chromium coated, not at all platinum.
There's a bit a trivia.

Cheers.

My Lords say Platinum on the box, but Stainless on the blade. Not a bad blade, but not remarkable, either. I can't recall my first shave with it (38C), so it obviously didn't make an impression either good or bad.

Now I have one in a Shick Krona. Yesterday (1st use) I got a really good shave with it, 3 passes and I was just shy of BBS. Today it seemed to lack some of the original sharpness. Not really rough, but not as efficient. We'll see what tomorrow is like. If the shave deteriorates even further, I'll know it is the blade expiring far too quickly rather than my prep/technique.
Just a quick comment about Lord Blades......
I have an email from the export manager at Lord that confirms that the Platinum Class, Super Chrome, etc., are in fact all the same blade aimed at different markets. Their blades are Chromium coated, not at all platinum.
There's a bit a trivia.

Cheers.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I have heard the rumor that Red Ips are actually Lord Platinums.

After shaving with both blades, I believe this to be true! This blade behaves just like the Red Ip and that is a good thing!

The blade is smooth and consistent just like the Red Ip, but of course the price is substantially higher and I would only buy more of these if the Reds go away or I could get a good deal on them. The Lord price is about like other blades, but not as steep as a Feather. I got about 4 shaves out of this blade and could have gotten another one but was eager to try another brand.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I received a sample pack from one of the vendors here, This has got to be the Crappiest blades I have tested in a long time, I would never buy these, there really a horrible blade, It could be the box I had was no good, However I just can't recommend these at this time, The wal-mart acme brand blades were better...I don't need to say more.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Honestly, I fail to see or feel the difference between this one and the Stainless version. Am I too much a newbie?

The blade looks the same, the blades shave the same.
Mind you, that is not bad, or at least it was not bad for me. I actually liked the Lord Stainless very much (untill I got my hands on the Chrome version that is). Now I like that one a lot better.

But the difference between the Stainless and the Platinum as far as I can tell is the Derby (and many others) alike plastic packaging of the 5 blades.

Now for the ratings:

Sharpness:
It is not as sharp as I would like. As a reference: Merkur is too draggy for me. I would rank them just below Derby on sharpnes. A 7.

Quality:
I have had no bad ones. Quality is consistent but I lacks a quality I like: sharpness. So a 7

Longevity:
It quite easily lasts 4 days, but I would not go beyond that. And 4 days is what I expect of a blade, so an 7. Struggling to last 4 days would be a 6, max 3 days would be a 5.

Smoothness:
The shave is not ultra smooth, the blade is not ultra sharp. I would compare it with a Wilkinson blade. That should not be a surprise as Lord was once owned by Wilkinson.
Sharp, but not ultra. Some slight drag. But is is consistent. No nicks etc.....
How to rate...:
I rank it 7 because I would rank a Merkur 5, some brands that nick but are sharp a 6 and Derby an 8. This is not having tried Feather.

Packaging:
Packaging is good, but not top notch. It seems there are 4 ways to package blades:
4) the small carton with single wrapped blades.
3) the small carton with double wrapped blades
2)the Derby, Astra etc plastic container that just fits 5 blades.
1)the gillette, wilkinson Personna USA, plastic container with 5-10 blades.
So being at second place, it gets 8 out of 10.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)