What's new

Lord Platinum Class

Cons: Price-value ratio
I don't know if Lord sells one blade in multiple packaging or what , but I have tried them all (Crown, Big Ben, Racer, Stainless, Super Stainless Blue/White, Super Stainless Green/White, etc.). I thought the "Platinum Class" would be different maybe. I was disappointed yet again. Lord blades just do not hold up to multiple shaves! This blade is loud, rough feeling, and dulls almost immediately. The typical three pass shave is just ok as a result, but the five o'clock shadow starts at about 3 o'clock so it is not a long-lasting close shave really. This combined with the fact that this is a two shave blade maximum is not acceptable for a "platinum class" blade. I believe Lord is really only selling one or two stainless steel blades with different packaging to match the marketing scheme. I mean, how could one company in Alexandria Egypt possibly make ten+ different blades. It's just not possible. I still prefer the Personna Blue at half the cost.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Not one of my favorite blades. A lot of drag in my DE 89. Better in my Jaws OC but still not optimal. Probably my least favorite blade thus far.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice sharp and smooth blade, eco freindly packaging.
Cons: Eco freindly packaging means no used blade container.
I got these as part of a sample pack and as such I wasn't expecting too much.

They turned out to be quite a good blade.
I got three good smooth shaves out of them and might have squeezed a fourth but by the end of the third the blade was getting rough and scratchy.

Not a bad blade but if you haven't got anywhere to put used blades the packaging may put you off.
Then again if you're into eco packaging this is the bomb as no plastics where harmed in the making of this box.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp enough, smooth, no glue spots, cheap
Cons: Three shaves seem to be the max for these
I ordered a five pack of these along with some of the other offerings from the Lord factory (Lord Super Chromes, Shark SS, and Shark SC). You sure can't beat the price at $10.00 per hundred from WCS. It doesn't get much cheaper than .10 per blade. Loaded one in my Flare-tip SS (my go-to when trying a new blade). The first shave was very good, BBS in three passes. But for me, this blade really hit its stride on the second shave, even smoother and closer than the first. I did get a little irritation on my neck after the third shave. But, as cheap as these are, I see no reason to push it beyond a third 3-pass shave. Maybe the platinum coating has worn-off the edge? Blades come in the standard five-count cardboard pack, and are double-wrapped. Oh, and NO GLUE SPOTS! (Are you listening at the St. Petersburg blade factory?)

All in all, these are great blades for the money, IMHO. I'm testing the Super Chromes next, but I'll for sure be ordering a hundred of these at some point.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: consistent!
Cons: sharpness that doesn't last
Each Lord Platinum blade I've used has been identical, so they're consistent and very predictable. They remind me of Personna IP reds, but not as smooth. I can get BBS shaves from these in the first or 2nd use and after that it's downhill. I do notice some burning from these after the 1st shave so it seems the coating disappears pretty quick. These are nice blades but after 3 shaves I'm left with extra work to get rid of whiskers.These aren't efficient like something sharp along the lines of a Gillette 7oclock Yellow. These are very affordable if you're on a budget, but so are IP reds which provide a more comfy shave IMO.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Excellent blades. I'm so glad I tried them. Totally affordable. High quality. Plenty sharp for me, but not too sharp. I checked n/a on longevity simply because I'm still shaving with the first blade of the box, so I don't yet know how long it will last.

Where this one shines is in smoothness. It really is smooth. I mean really smooth. Wonderful.

And I personally really like the cardboard box packaging. It's nice to have everything recyclable: blade, paper wrapping, and cardboard box.

I should mention that I have a very tough, heavy beard and very sensitive skin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Had my first experience with this blade a few weeks ago. It was a freebie pack from an order I placed with Phil at Bullgoose. I must say that the performance and comfort of the blade was excellent. The price is hard to beat. I could very easily use this blade exclusively. If you haven't tried them you should consider doing so.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I found myself grimacing in pain as I shaved my chin area on the first pass similar to the pain felt by a Mach 3. I will say that I did get a good nik free shave, but these must go as there are so many other quality choices out there.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Recently I was given a sample pack from Phil at bullgooseshaving. I used my aristocrat #15 for the first two shaves and was quite pleased with the results. Very smooth and sharp. The third shave I used my aristocrat jr....here I noticed a bit more tugging this time around....I do a three pass shave everytime so this was a sign it was losing its edge. I still came out with a BBS shave with no weepers, cuts, irritation etc.

Overall, this is a very nice blade...just doesn't quite have the longevity of other premium blades, but if I can pull off three shaves on the same blade I can't really complain too much. I will be adding some of these to my collection shortly.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These, honestly, are my favorite blades so far, and seem to work great in my Tech.

Price: 10, I got them cheap, and if you look, they're available cheap from a few places.

Quality: 9, because I do occasionally feel that sometimes I get a blade that's not as sharp or smooth as the others.

Sharpness: Well, I have to give them a 10, they seem to get everything in two or three passes.

Longevity: 5 here. This seems to be the weakpoint. I get two quality comfortable shaves from these, but the third usually makes me want to toss the blade for a new one.

Smoothness of Shave: 8 out of 10 here. With my Tech razor, this is easily a 9 or 10, but in the TTO types I've tried I felt it was somewhat less smooth.

Packaging: Call it a 6. I ordered mine in a pack of 100, so I got a display card resembling a callendar to hang on the wall if I so chose, holding all the little cardboard boxes. Plastic dispensors would probably protect blades a bit better, but the double wrap makes up for that. Most annoying is the lack of a place to dispose of used blades.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Price: 10 bucks per hundred from WCS. Nuff said.

Quality: I have found them to be consistent and reliable.

Sharpness: Lies in that middle-of-the-road range with Red IP, Astra, Derby, etc. I found them to about like the Red IP in sharpness. Certainly no Feather, but that's okay. I like middle-of-the-road sharpness.

Longevity: This is a 4-5 shave blade. Plenty of longevity for the price.

Smoothness: This is where they shine for me. Smoother than Red IP and Derby and Astra, while the same level of sharpness. So far this blade has the best ratio of sharpness/smoothness for my face (your face may differ of course) that I have found.

Packaging: Cardboard. No Glue spots. Good enough.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
To be honest when i tried those blade this morning i wasn't expecting much.
I already have try their blade in the blue packaging and i wasn't impressed at all, not sharp enough.
But the Platinium one are very different, sharp and smooth.
One of the best blade i tried so far.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I may have had a brummy lot of these, but I have tried two packs of 5 to be fair.

Compared to Perma Sharp, Bic and 7 o'clock Yellows (for example) I didn't like these very much at all.

I battled to get more than two or three shaves from each blade, and found them to be fairly rough from day one.

These suggest themselves as a possible "holiday" blade when you want a quick neat shave with no aspiration to "BBS". However. given that several vendors will send you a pile of say, Bics at less cost than these, it is hard to find a lot of added-value here.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I have used Feathers for about 3 years and just woke up one morning and was tired of shaving in fear. They are just too aggressive for me. And so began my quest. I've run through a great many blades, and have enjoyed the Derby, Gillette (black), Treet and then really, really enjoyed the Wilkinson German blades.

I tried the Lord Platinum and simply could not believe the shave I got. I have a very rough beard - not terribly dense, but very rough. I had to check myself that there was a blade in my new R89. This is by far the smoothest shave out of the dozen plus blades I have recently tried. The Lord Platinum is also extremely sharp in my opinion. Other than this, the Wilkinson is my second choice. Both, but in particular the Lord, are effortless. I would have to describe the blade as extremely confident. It seems to sit and effortlessly do the job. I will admit to being surprised, but there is no question in my mind that this is an exceptional blade.

As an interesting comparison, I will suggest that just as there is a noticeable difference among kitchen knives, with high end Nenox blades (my favorite) cutting noticeably better than other commercially available knives, so too does the Lord Platinum. I realize there is a lot of personal choice in this, but these blades are simply another realm of shave for me, just as the Nenox outperforms any German blade you might try.

I would strongly encourage you to give these a try.
These blades don't seem to recieve much attaention, just look at the reviews, only a handful!

They've been in my possesion as part of a sampler pack for almost one year now. I recently started using them, and I'm glad I did!

They're very smooth, sharp, and forgiving. I dare say smoother than the new Blu Bird blades that have been intoduced to wet shavers not too long ago.

They come in a cardboard box, in which every blade is double wrapped. A cardboard box is not the best thing, but I like the double wrapping idea. However lately I've seen them advertised in standard plastic boxes as other typical DE blades, however these are single wrapped. If I had to choose, I'd probably prefer the cardboard box and double wrapping, simply because the presentation is "different".

They're worth giving a try, you may just adopt them as your new daily blade, as I have done.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Gave me a close, comfortable shave in my Rotbard 200 with Godrej Shaving Round. Smooth indeed. Afterwards stinging, not as bad as Super-Max Platinum, but more than Gillette Super Thin Platinum or Gillette 7 o'Clock Super Platinum. If your skin can take it, this is a nice blade.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
An average shave, first ones used from my samplers and did not realise how average they were till i popped a derby in, even my trusty tech was let down, ones to just use if they come in a sampler and i wondered why i had 2 packs of these included:001_smile
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
1. Price is ok... I got these as part of a sampler.
2. These were terrible... I did a 9 pass shave and it still left plenty of bits still on my face... It may work better for a thicker beard but for those with finer hair it will not work well.
3. These were sharp. but there are better products out there
4. 3-4 shaves seems to be the limit
5. The shaves were smooth to the point where the blade would atually glide over hair completely without cutting.
6. It has good simple packaging
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
GoldenMonkey;1239969 said:
I really like these blades, and agree with Brodirt completely regarding the longevity. Four shaves is definitely the limit for me, with the first being a bit rough. The second and third are great shaves though. If they are corked before use, you'll get that first shave to be as good as the next two. I gave them high marks for the packaging because I like the little boxes with paper...less landfill. Also the lack of glue spots is a bonus. For comparison, my fave blades are the 7 O'Clock Yellows (and I'll give those a 9 for longevity...five shaves each, no problem), with these a notch below (and I HATE Feathers, Derbys - two completely different blades, but two of the most popular).

I found this to be a great blade at a good price, and my only quibble with the foregoing reviews is that I consistently get seven to eight quite decent shaves out of these. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as an every day blade.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I really like these blades, and agree with Brodirt completely regarding the longevity. Four shaves is definitely the limit for me, with the first being a bit rough. The second and third are great shaves though. If they are corked before use, you'll get that first shave to be as good as the next two. I gave them high marks for the packaging because I like the little boxes with paper...less landfill. Also the lack of glue spots is a bonus. For comparison, my fave blades are the 7 O'Clock Yellows (and I'll give those a 9 for longevity...five shaves each, no problem), with these a notch below (and I HATE Feathers, Derbys - two completely different blades, but two of the most popular).
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)