What's new

Lord DE blade

Pros: Widely Available
Cons: None So Far
I've used these for about a year now in my DE89 Barley. I try not to do reviews too lightly and tend to really use things for a while before reviewing. This particular blade, along with Astra Plats, are my "go-to" blades. I tend to cork these blades when putting a fresh one in the EJ. This seems to cure any roughness that the initial shave can bring. These cost me about $15 per 100 shipped. I tend to get 5-7 good shaves out of each blade. My only complaint, and it's not the individual package, is the lack of a "sleeve" type box. The ones I've ordered come with this flat display type arrangement that does not lend itself to medicine cabinet storage. It's a small gripe and honestly it's the only one I have. Great blade at a great price. Pick up a pack and try them yourself.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, available, nice overall quality
Cons: Does not excell in any particular area (Sharpness, smoothness)
My workhorse blade. I use 'em once since theyre so cheap. Overall good quality, but is not exceptionally sharp or smooth.

Most of my shaves end up with no cuts or weepers with these
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Decently Sharp, blade looks legit
Cons: VERY ROUGH!
Yes I'm a newbie but in the weeks I've been shaving and trying out all these blades to figure out my top 3.....I haven't once cut myself...well that was until tonight.... LORD WAS JUST ROUGH all around...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Pros: none
Cons: lots of irritation and weepers
I can see why Egyptian Men wear beards. I would too if these were the only blades available. My face HURTS. and the shave was barely SAS. Going right into the blade bin.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, has a picture of a sword. Sounds fancy.
Cons: uncomfortable mediocre shave.
Got this in a sampler with a bunch of other blades, glad I only had one of these blades. Didn't enjoy the shave or the after effects - my face felt irritated all morning :cursing:. Lots of pulling and skipping which was very uncomfortable. I have some other Lord blades (platinum and super stainless) hope those fare better! Had just finished with a Shark "super chrome" and loved it, so was quite a contrast. This is the first blade of my sampler that I didn't like and I won't be attempting a second day.

Note: Got this in a sampler so price should be considered 'N/A' (but I've seen it cheap online), packing just for the immediate blade wrapper (which was nice)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Attractive price
Cons: Dull, irritating, no longevity
Price was very cheap (should've known). Packaging is cool with the sword and all. Blades were dull from the get go. They pulled a lot and did not cut down the whiskers. Pass after pass produced quite some irritation. Blade lasted one shave only. Gave them away. Buy something else.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Pros: The packaging looks cool
Cons: The contents are all con - to me anyway.
I didn't realize just how smooth Astra SPs are until after attempting to shave with every blade in a pack of Lords. I recently picked up the pack at a local cornershop, then decided to give these blades a whirl in a flair-tipped Superspeed. It was hate at first stroke - no cutting at all, only tugging. :angry: Tried a second blade, same thing, and same thing for the third, fourth, and fifth blades, so I binned each one. I popped an Astra SP into my SS, and it whispered through my stubble with very stroke, giving me a great one-pass DFS.

But this was supposed to be about the Lord blades. Of course YMMV, but I've got nothing nice to say about them.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
Dirt cheap egyptian blade bought on E-bay, just about $25 for 200 blades.

To start with the packaging, a simple no-fancy paperbox, gives a cheap inpression. The blades are single packed in both classic "foil-paper" and in a paper-envelope, this seem to protect the blade much better than the outer box.

Thing is that the company that makes Lord blades from the beginning was a Wilkinson factory, so the blade itself reminds of the Wilkinson blade. Its a nice blade, a tad rough, again just like a Wilkinson IMO. It shaves close and it is quite smooth.

I rate this blade as a nice everyday blade - and the price makes it really good.

Added 2006-08-12

After using this blade a few week I upgrading the ratings, this is a good blade
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I got a free sample of these :smile:
I usually use feather and found the Lord's to pull quiet a bit.
I usually do 4-5 passes:-
The shave was fine on the cheeks:smile:
But poor on the neck leaving several weepers:mad:
XTG was OK but not very smooth
ATG was awful :cursing:
These are OK in comparison to some of the blades I have tried but I'll be sticking to feather.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Good price
Quality:they look ok.
Sharpness:On the first pass, after that its all down hill.
Longevity:One shave and thats it .
Smoothness of Shave:Tough going on the neck.
Packaging:The best.

Remember I use a slant and feather ....it glides .
If these blades work for you they are a great buy .
I was given a pack of these blades to review from a fellow B&B member. I used it in a new Merkur slant. I do not have a heavy beard so it went well. The shave was bbs no real irratation. I would guess in my case it would work for several shaves. I used a TGQ soap to shave with. If I had a sorce for them I would git some, I enjoyed using them it was a nice close shave.

Eddie
Price was right at $FREE.99 (Also received them from a fellow B&B member)
Quality was pretty decent. They weren't rusting away in the wrapper, but did smell vaguely of the factory. (I love machine-shop smell though, so no problem)
Sharpness is decent, no real complaints.
Longevity was acceptable too. I change blades after four shaves regardless, so no testing was done to "the bitter end"
Smoothness. I'm a Derby nut (so far), so I marked these down a bit. Much better than the Merkur blades, but still a bit "grabby" occasionally.
Packaging. Nice packaging, even if it is a cardboard box. I really liked the double wrapper on each blade.
Overall, not bad blades in my opinion. Granted, I only tried them in a few razors (Merkur 38C, Gillette Ball-End Tech, '31 Gillette NEW, '59 Gillette Fatboy), so I can't say how they might perform in others.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I got these blades for free so the price rating is based on what they would have cost. I found them not quite as good as my red pack personnas but much better than the Walmart Personnas. I got about 2.5 good shaves out of a blade.
I like them ok but as long as I can get Feather's for .25 per blade I will not be buying these.

Thanks Again for the samples though.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
Lord 5 pack used with 1950 Super Speed
The Lord blades come packed in a box, with each blade wrapped in individual envelopes, just like Dorcos packaging. 1 WTG pass, 2 XTG, and one Diagonally ATG pass gave me a smooth BBS shave with no pulling, no nicks, no irritation...This blade is very good! For the second shave this blade seemed about as sharp as the first shave, The third shave did give good results but started to require more passes for the same results. I say this is a very good blade...A+
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I was given a pack of these blades to review from a fellow B&B member. After using it.. I have come to the following conclusions.

1. Between a Wilkinson Sword (White UK) and Merkur in terms of sharpness.
2. Cheap price.. bang for your buck.
3. Only averaging 3 shaves per blade.. they lose their edge quickly and started nicking me after the 4th shave..
4. Very smooth, no pullling or tugging.
5. Packing was difficult to get blades out. Double sealed (paper and wax paper).

Overall, a decent blade.. especially for the price. If you are a fan or Merkurs or Wilkinson Sword (White UK) than you should pick up a pack. :blushing:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
This is the only other brand of blades I have tried besides my beloved Dorcos. I popped one in my Weishi and whipped up a batch of Eshave White Tea lather.

Being a female shaver, I usually only need one pass per leg to get the job done. The first pass went smoothly enough. I did feel some drag. However, on closer inspection I noticed that the blade had missed some spots. So I had to relather and do a second pass. This was highly unusual for me.

I probably shouldn't have gone in for the second pass. I ended up getting a small nick near my knee and razor bumps on both legs. :confused: This is my first time getting razor bumps since starting DE shaving. This has definitely scared me from using these blades on a regular basis in the future.

I wouldn't say the Lord blades are sharper, just more aggressive. Although my experience was less than ideal, they might perform better for face shaving than leg shaving. :wink:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
A B&B member provide 2 packs in exchange for a review. I used 5 blades in a 50s SS and a Milford.

The blade constantly dragged/pulled more heavily than any other I have used to date. :eek:

I used AOS and TOBS creams while trying out the blades. Just to be sure I popped in a Wilkinson blade and the shave improved dramatically. Typically I use one blade a week (5 shaves). I could only get 3 shaves out of the Lord before replacing. They pulled and burned at that point. Maybe I got a "bad" pack? Others seemed to have faired better. :a46:
was kindly given a sample pack to try by a fellow b&b member. I find them very acceptable. no fuss or fancy, well packaged in the classic double-wrap. blades in good condition.

sharpness was acceptable - about on par with crystals for me. found they pulled less than merkurs/ WK. not sharp-sharp, but don't punish you.

overall: satisfied. not going to split atoms with these, but if the price was right, would certainly be an accepptable long-term user.
Price: I got mine free (for a review) from a B&B member, however I couldn't find any retailers that sold them to determine what the price could be.

Quality: Looked fine, a few blades had a little too much glue on them.

Sharpness: Started off really sharp but even by the end of the first shave I could feel it really starting to dull (had a little tugging).

Longevity: Once it hits that slightly dull point the blades stayed there for a few more shaves (3-4 depending on the blade).

Smoothness of Shave: A little tugging buy the end of the first shave. But still managed to get BBS on my cheeks. My neck just seemed to have a few spots that the blade just wouldn't shave (no poblem with other blades).

Packaging: Well done, cardboard box with razors in both wax and foil wrappers. As stated before a little too much glue on a few blades and no place for used blades.

All in all it was a decent blade, but it just doesn't hold it's edge quite long enough for me.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
This review is for the Lord Stainless. Although the initial reviewer titled this section Lord DE, it appears most of the reviews in this section are aimed at the stainless version. I used this blade for 2 weeks in a Merkur HD razor with a variety of creams and soaps.

Quality To me, quality connotes consistency. I've found Lord blades to be entirely consistent. However, with this blade, consistency isn't necessarily a good thing.

Sharpness A sharp blade provides a close shave. I measure sharpness by my "12 hour test". That is, I check my face after 12 hours to see how much stubble I've accumulated. With this blade, I gained more stubble in 12 hours than I do with many other blades.

Longevity I generally get six shaves out of a blade - sometimes more but rarely fewer than 5. With this blade, I received only 3 decent shaves. Of course I persevered in the name of science, but shaves 4, 5 and were quite uncomfortable and even painful. I felt I was scratching my face and not shaving my beard. This was the most disappointing aspect of this blade.

Smoothness The blade provided a smooth shave for 2 or 3 shaves, but after that forget smoothness. After the cold water rinse, I generally reach for either my alum bar or witch hazel. Alum generally tightens my pores and makes my face feel fresh. With this blade, alum reminded me the damage done after 3 shaves so I went to the witch hazel before the aftershave.

Packaging Standard cardboard box packaging with double wrapped blades. Satisfactory - yes; Something special - no.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)