What's new

L'Occitane Eau des Bergers aftershave

At full retail, this costs $28 for a 3.3 ounce bottle. I do feel that's too expensive, but I also feel many aftershave products in general are way overpriced. I suppose this price is about average for a higher end brand.

Quality is pretty good, maybe a little better than average but it could be better. This is basically alcohol, fragrance, some EOs, propylene glycol, castor oil, and a couple other things. Not too bad as far as an alcohol based aftershave goes. I would have preferred if they included some extra stuff for skincare such as glycerin, aloe vera, etc.

I didn't have razor burn when I've used this, but I do find it has a soothing effect on this skin. It's not a cooling type product and there is no real cooling effect.

Scent is where this really shines. It's actually one of the best smelling shaving products I've ever tried. I like the scent a lot - it's basically a very woody, subtly spicy scent. According to others, the smell of juniper wood oil is predominant here. Whatever it is, it smells fantastic. Great fall/winter scent and if L'Occitane had any sense at all, they'd make an EDT with this exact scent.

This product works like an alcohol based aftershave should. It closes the pores and disinfects the skin just like any alcohol based aftershave. However, there is a subtle, soothing, warming effect you get from this due to the capsicum in the aftershave. Very nice, but if your skin is super sensitive it may not be for you. There is some burn, but it's very slight if you pat it on a wet face with wet hands and are careful not to use too much. After the warming effect sets in, it leaves a very nice soothing effect on my face. I'm not exactly sure what that is from, but it's definitely there. Moisturizing isn't great but it's probably a lot less drying than the average alcohol based aftershave. In general, alcohol based aftershaves aren't meant to moisturize, so I'm not rating it in this category.

Overall, I like this product a lot even though it is more expensive than I would prefer it to be. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has decided to discontinue this, which means when my bottle is used up I probably won't be able to replace it. That's really too bad...perhaps an small scale maker of shaving products can come up with something similar inspired by this aftershave to fill the void in the market.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Great after shave splash. Very effective, and the scent lasts for ages. It's a very pleasant spicy after shave, great for colder seasons, and the warming effect is spectacular in the winter. Highly recommended for those who have oily skin.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is my daily aftershave. I went through a bottle in the past 2-3 months.

I got mine at a L'Occitane sale so the price wasn't really an issue for me. I paid $18 for mine. Actually, I've seen this price on just about every in-store sale at my local L'Occitane store which comes around every couple of months or so.

I like how the ingredients come together in the scent. I would describe it as a masculine scent, perhaps a little more appropriate for winter/fall.

There is a little burn to this thing.

I normally follow this with an unscented after shave moisturizer so I'm not too concerned with it's moisturizing properties on it's own.

In conclusion, I would recommend this to someone looking for a masculine scent. This is an especially good buy at the sale price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I recently purchased a bottle from another member on the cheap...I wonder why...

This certainly is not a bad aftershave, but it lacks a lot things I like in an aftershave.

Price: if it's on sale, it's okay, but otherwise not worth the green

Quality: high quality ingredients as always from l'Occitane

Cooling: none

Scent: earthy

efficacy: decent

Moisturizing: very little

Burn: a lot
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
pity not available in Australia
Great scent - my wife loves it too, which is unusual since she normally doesn't like A/S or Cologne.

Quality is excellent

Razor burn - I don't have a lot of problem with razor burn but since this seems to have both cooling (alcohol of course) AND warming properties from other ingredients, it somehow balances out so the sensation is very unique and pleasant - you really have to experience it!

As above, seems top cool, then warm which is a lot better than just a blast of alcohol or menthol

Scent - very woodsy, deep, lasts a long time (several hours) for an A/S - more what you'd expect from some colognes

Moisturizing is NA because I don't expect an alcohol based aftershave to moisturize, that's what balms and creams are for

Price - this is $32 at L'Occitane in Canada for a relatively small 100 ml bottle. It's not the purchase price that makes this expensive. The bottle, although very nice does not allow good control of the product which makes it difficult to use judiciously. It's a splash, not a wave!. If it had a stopper like Musgo Real A/S, I would be a very happy camper.

Great product, my favourite A/S
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Stauff;266899 said:
Well, maybe the sheep like that scent... :rolleyes: :wink:

Ewe would say that ... :lol:
L'Occitane had this stuff on sale - $19.60 for 100ml. Normally it's twice that. Imho it's not worth full price, and barely worth half price. The splash works, but it's not Speick.

Quality is fine. I have no quarrels with how it's put together.

I don't normally have much razor burn. But this stuff did not soothe like Speick.

There is no cooling with this a/s. I did not find it to be warming as some others do. But neither is it cooling. The only reminder that you have applied this is the scent, which lingers a very long time. So you better like it!

The scent is OK. A little too much for me. Very spicy and warm, so it's a good fall and winter scent. I can't see it becoming a favorite though.

There seems to be no moisturizing, but on the other hand it doesn't dry me out either. So it's kind of neutral there.

The burn was there but on a par with Speick. Not bad. Nowhere near as bad as Trumper limes, which basically sets your face on fire.

I am glad it was on sale. I won't be buying it again.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This stuff is rapidly approaching the point where it will be the first alcohol-based aftershave bottle I have actually emptied (all others have ended up gathering dust on the shelf and, most of them, eventually, in the rubbish bin, still 3/4 full). It makes my skin feel better, takes away the worst dryness, and with a scent that does a beautiful job of balancing between woody warmth and clean freshness.
This is in my regular rotation. I love this stuff. Here are my notes:

• Price: It's around $30 so this is mid to upper end of the price spectrum. I wish it was cheaper as I regularly use this product.
  • Quality: The product is top notch as is the packaging. Very heavy glass bottle and classy, durable label.
  • Razor Burn: It not as good as my precious Aqua Velva but it does a good job fighting burn & bumps. What's interesting about this is that the product is warming and I for one most associate products that fight razor burn well as cooling.
  • Scent: This scent is one of my favorites. I think of this as a fall scent. It does linger quite a while and is so unique it probably doesn't make sense to try to pair it with an EDT. If I use this in the winter and want some additional moisturizing I follow it with a very neutral, quickly dissipating or non scented balm. Often I'll slap a little extra on my chest, using it like an EDT and the scent lasts well into the day.
  • Efficacy - Again this is one of the better ones.
  • Moisturizing: Its alcohol based so not as much but I think this one does a better job than most alcohol based splashes.
  • Burn: Yes it burns (and it is warming too!) but burn is the point with an alcohol based splash.

Overall I would recommend this product. It works well and it's warming characteristics are unique. Given the warming, the unique scent and the fact that it lingers do try to get to a L'Occitane store to check out a tester before you buy.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I just purchased this AS. I like the smell a lot (my wife does NOT, however). What I like: not your usual aftershave smell. Not very sweet, but smells a bit like sandal wood -- outdoorsy without a pine smell. The cayenne provides a very nice warming sensation that fades pretty quick, but I get no redness to the skin from using it.

While it has a unique scent for an AS, very woody with a lot of "depth", I don't normally wear strong aftershaves with staying power and so find the scent lingers a bit too long. I know I am in the minority, here, probably.

I may cut it with some witch hazel and see if that brings more subtlety to it.

Because my wife hates it - thinks it smells "hippy-ish"(!?) (she knew someone she felt was flaky who was into bergamot, or something and this reminds her of that scent), I will likely not buy it again when it's gone.

Having said all that, I do think it's nice and worth trying for sure.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
i like this after shave its my number one!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I like this stuff, it smells lovely, very woodsy and natural, like a forest. A very outdoors kind of smell. Masculine and not at all synthetic, but not "old mannish" if that makes sense. A scent that could suit a younger man who prefers the old school fragrances.

As to it's efficacy, I'm undecided. It lacks moisturising properties- just contains a trace of PEG as a humectant, I boosted it with a few ml of glycerin, which sorted it out right away. The cayenne and ginger does indeed give it a lovely warming sensation- it has no alcohol burn to speak of, instead a pleasant glow that appears a few moments after application, and lasts. However, I've found that sometimes it brings the blood to my face a little to much in places, making it look quite pink, especially if I apply too much. This does not last long, and in fairness to it only when I splash a lot on. It does not burn however.

I'd recomend it, although I suggest if you have very pale skin, like myself, you may notice the stimulant effect of the capsicum quite visibly!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Well, maybe the sheep like that scent... :rolleyes: :wink:
"Fragrance of the Shepherds"

Who thought up that name? The thought of smelling like a guy who hangs around sheep all day just doesn't appeal to me, it's a wonder anyone tries it :eek:
This AS has one of the most unique scents I have come across. Its alcohol based so it does sting like those cheap mainstream brands. I wish they would cut down on the alcohol on this one as the scent is so wonderful but the sting and alcohol content limits my use with it. Goes great with the Cade lineup of products from L'Occitane since all the scents match.

I do notice the warmth sensation as Scotto describes but its a strange unexpected feeling, its like a warmth with slight coolness about it...unique indeed.

I always use a moisturizer when using an alcohol based AS.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
According to L'Occitane: "Fragrance of the Shepherds: Energizing splash of ginger, cardamom and paprika--blended with our purifying Cade essential oil complex--tones and protects skin, and helps to close pores. Fresh "wake up" aroma extends an immediate feeling of well-being. Its name recalls a Provençal legend."

I got a small trial bottle of this stuff at the L'Occitane outlet, and I am pretty impressed with it. The ingredient list is unique (paprika!?), and it does contain alcohol, so beware. However, this is a really nice product. Once you are past the initial alcohol sting, you get an incredible warming sensation of the skin, which is a welcome change from all the cooling products out there. It is not the heat of irritation or sensitivity (I know those all too well), but something brought on by the ingredients. It also smell nice, with juniper and the spices coming through.

This is also the ONLY alcohol-based after shave product that hasn't had me racing for the moisturizer afterward, so dry-skin folks take heed. With the CADE oil and other goodies, this stuff treats your skin nicely. If you are looking for something more unusual for your post-shave routine, look no further than the Eau de Berger.
Top Bottom