What's new

L'Occitane Eau des Bergers aftershave

Item Description

According to L'Occitane: "Fragrance of the Shepherds: Energizing splash of ginger, cardamom and paprika--blended with our purifying Cade essential oil complex--tones and protects skin, and helps to close pores. Fresh "wake up" aroma extends an immediate feeling of well-being. Its name recalls a Provençal legend."

I got a small trial bottle of this stuff at the L'Occitane outlet, and I am pretty impressed with it. The ingredient list is unique (paprika!?), and it does contain alcohol, so beware. However, this is a really nice product. Once you are past the initial alcohol sting, you get an incredible warming sensation of the skin, which is a welcome change from all the cooling products out there. It is not the heat of irritation or sensitivity (I know those all too well), but something brought on by the ingredients. It also smell nice, with juniper and the spices coming through.

This is also the ONLY alcohol-based after shave product that hasn't had me racing for the moisturizer afterward, so dry-skin folks take heed. With the CADE oil and other goodies, this stuff treats your skin nicely. If you are looking for something more unusual for your post-shave routine, look no further than the Eau de Berger.

Latest reviews

At full retail, this costs $28 for a 3.3 ounce bottle. I do feel that's too expensive, but I also feel many aftershave products in general are way overpriced. I suppose this price is about average for a higher end brand.

Quality is pretty good, maybe a little better than average but it could be better. This is basically alcohol, fragrance, some EOs, propylene glycol, castor oil, and a couple other things. Not too bad as far as an alcohol based aftershave goes. I would have preferred if they included some extra stuff for skincare such as glycerin, aloe vera, etc.

I didn't have razor burn when I've used this, but I do find it has a soothing effect on this skin. It's not a cooling type product and there is no real cooling effect.

Scent is where this really shines. It's actually one of the best smelling shaving products I've ever tried. I like the scent a lot - it's basically a very woody, subtly spicy scent. According to others, the smell of juniper wood oil is predominant here. Whatever it is, it smells fantastic. Great fall/winter scent and if L'Occitane had any sense at all, they'd make an EDT with this exact scent.

This product works like an alcohol based aftershave should. It closes the pores and disinfects the skin just like any alcohol based aftershave. However, there is a subtle, soothing, warming effect you get from this due to the capsicum in the aftershave. Very nice, but if your skin is super sensitive it may not be for you. There is some burn, but it's very slight if you pat it on a wet face with wet hands and are careful not to use too much. After the warming effect sets in, it leaves a very nice soothing effect on my face. I'm not exactly sure what that is from, but it's definitely there. Moisturizing isn't great but it's probably a lot less drying than the average alcohol based aftershave. In general, alcohol based aftershaves aren't meant to moisturize, so I'm not rating it in this category.

Overall, I like this product a lot even though it is more expensive than I would prefer it to be. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has decided to discontinue this, which means when my bottle is used up I probably won't be able to replace it. That's really too bad...perhaps an small scale maker of shaving products can come up with something similar inspired by this aftershave to fill the void in the market.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Great after shave splash. Very effective, and the scent lasts for ages. It's a very pleasant spicy after shave, great for colder seasons, and the warming effect is spectacular in the winter. Highly recommended for those who have oily skin.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is my daily aftershave. I went through a bottle in the past 2-3 months.

I got mine at a L'Occitane sale so the price wasn't really an issue for me. I paid $18 for mine. Actually, I've seen this price on just about every in-store sale at my local L'Occitane store which comes around every couple of months or so.

I like how the ingredients come together in the scent. I would describe it as a masculine scent, perhaps a little more appropriate for winter/fall.

There is a little burn to this thing.

I normally follow this with an unscented after shave moisturizer so I'm not too concerned with it's moisturizing properties on it's own.

In conclusion, I would recommend this to someone looking for a masculine scent. This is an especially good buy at the sale price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)