What's new

L'Occitane Cade shaving soap

Pros: Fragence and Longevity
Cons: None
I picked this soap up at the Mall in Baton Rouge in the summer of '16. It lasted until the new year!. I shave face and scalp practically every day. It smells great, lathers great, and shaves great. I have no real complaints. Its also affordable. Bought it across the way from "The Art of Shaving". it was less than half the price. Only drawback is that I had to go in a French makeup store to get it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy load, billowy lather, good protection
Cons: Slightly pricey
I bought this on a whim after getting my first TAOS Royal Shave. I was in the Mall at Millennia and across from TAOS was a L'Occitane shop. I had heard good things about their shaving soaps and creams so I decided to take a look. The men's section was in plain sight by the counter and the soap was a centerpiece of the display. At $12 a puck it's a better deal than TAOS soap, so I bought one without the metal bowl.

I regret nothing. This soap is the best I have used to date along with RazoRock, and I see myself buying more of it when I run out. I used an Omega boar brush and face lathered. The resulting lather was very dense, had a perfect if basic soap smell, and provided me with ample protection and no dryness.

If you haven't tried this already, do so.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Wonderful Scent
Cons: Price
Good product. Lathers reasonably well once I got the right ratio. Overall its performance was fine, but there are other soaps ( Cella for example ) that are higher quality and lower in price in my opinion.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great lather, good scent, recommend for sensitive skin
Excellent lather and nice scent - not overpowering. Find it to be very gentle compared to other soaps, would recommend for those with more sensitive skin.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Great scent, easy to lather, nice aluminum dish
Cons: Mediocre Shave performance, leave my skin dry
To add to above reviews - the scent of this soap is excellent - light, very refined and very pleasant. The soap is easy to lather and will deliver a good shave.

Having said that - it's not the best performing soap in my rotation (thats MWF) and leaves my skin drier than other soaps I have.

I would not replace once done.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, nurishing properties.
Cons: Doesnt last as long as others.
One of the best soaps out there period, the scent is ADDICTIVE.
Great performing soap over all, awesome face feeling afterwards, very nourished skin.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Good lather
Cons: Expensive (when bought with the bowl), scent
This is not a bad product, but it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be, IMHO. THe metal bowl is nice but expensive and comes separately from the soap. The lather is pretty good especially if you use soft water, but not in the tabac class.

THe scent is what I am not so happy about. It's quite detergent like and I don't know why every one raves about it! however, it's not that bad, and I got the ASB with it too.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: scent, what little there is, decent lather
Cons: almost no smell, leaves my skin dry, low efficacy
I love the Cade ASB so I was so excited to finally get a chance to try this soap. They don't sell it here so I bought it on my last trip home.

Where is the Cade sent? This is almost unscented.

It makes a decent lather but it does not provide the same level of protection my standards give (Tabac, MWF and Proraso). I tried it and tried again. If I want unscented AOS cream blows this away.

It does leave my skin very dry so I guess it is a good excuse to allot of their ASB.

I am so glad I did not buy the bowl. I will give let some of my local friends give it a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, lather, slickness
Cons: Tends to leave a bit of soap scum...
I love this soap! A bit pricey for me, but definitely well worth it. The scent alone is amazing. It lathers well and provides the right amount of slickness for my shave. I did notice that compared to other soaps I use it tends to leave a bit more soap scum, but that could just be me...overall a great shave soap that I would definitely recommend.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Leather, slick
Cons: Pticd
Love this soap it will produce rich and thick leather much like a good cream. Excelent for super-leathering too - just add a drop of shaving cream once the leather has formed. Mixes well with Lime scented products.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: scent, lather
Cons: hard to get one
I love this soap. I love it's scent.

Did not bought it with the metal bowl since some complaints that is not lasting (corrosion), but I've found a pretty nice glass bowl with cover.

I've found out that it lathers better with my Wilkinson bristle brush than with the Muhle badger one. Thick lather, protective.

My only complaint is that I've search to 5 L'Occittane centres until I've found one.

Highly recommended!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice smell, lathers well,
Cons: Ok the aluminium bowl is on the expensive side but it's a one time cost, the re-fills are reasonable.
I jumped on the Cade shaving soap bandwagon a couple of months ago and after using it in regular rotation along with some English and Italian soaps/creams, L'Occitaine makes a great product. I know some people are making a big deal about the expensive bowl, it's a one time cost in my mind, the refills are reasonable in price. I mate this up with the Cade ASB, I get a nice shave out of it and I could live with this as my only soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Lather and scent.
Cons: Nothing I can think of.
Bought this in a proper brick and mortar shop. L'Occitanes' shop in Belfast. That in itself was a nice change from the internet! Lovely girl (!!!) served me and threw in a bar of Savon de Marseillaise soap and a few samples.

Bought it yesterday. Had already shaved so I just lathered it up last night for a wee "look see.".

Today (10 mins ago) it was used for real! What can I say......Lathers as well as Tabac and smells nicer! :sad:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Lathers like crazy
Cons: A bit pricy and may be hard to find.
I purchased a puck of this at the local L'Occitaine shop. I was persuaded to do so by all of the positive reviews that I have read here. Let me say that this is a top quality shaving soap. It lathers extremely easily, the lather provides enough lubricity for a very comfortable shave and if you do not but the aluminum bowl, the price is not that bad. Being a soap, the moisturizing is OK. It neither left my face feeling line the Sahara nor like an oil slick. The scent was not there however. Many have commented on the scent of this soap and the puck I purchased had minimal, if any, scent.:confused1 The scent of a product is not a big deal for me, however. At $10.00US for a 100 gram puck, I would say that this soap is a very good value and I would certainly purchase it again.:001_smile
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
After the Cade challenge I should be immensely qualified to review this product. Heck, I've been using it as my primary soap for almost two months.

Sadly, however, it is still a bit of a mystery to me. More than any other soap I've tried, I find it to be finicky to the point of ridiculousness. Once the sweet spot is found, you feel you've got the lather-making down, but if you don't hit it in the sweet spot you'll have to gut out a less than stellar shave.

Specifically, the price is right at about $10 for a refill puck. the quality of the soap seems to be there--it has held up over the last couple of months better than I could have imagined. Indeed, I've got another 30 shaves in it.

The scent is pleasant if not overpowering. Certainly a clean scent that isn't cloying. When you get to the lather, however, the troubles begin. Inconsistent and finicky, you can seemingly go from shave to shave with entirely different results. Even your good shaves are on the thin-side lather wise, and a poor lather will have the lather disappearing off your face mid-shave.

If you're looking for a good moisturizing soap, this isn't the one for you. There are no real moisturizing properties to it. Conversely, some complain of its drying priorities but I found it to be more neutral than anything else.

Overall, I'm glad I purchased it and glad I tried it and will finish the puck as originally intended. I won't be buying another, however, as I've decided there are far nicer latherers out there that just provide a nicer shaving experience.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
After using this soap (alone and in combination with teh creme), I am convinced that L'Occitane has their heads screwed on right :thumbup1:. This soap is very inexpensive...and no, I will not knock them on price because the puck is cheap...you don't have to have the bowl at $28 (was on sale a couple of weeks back for $19). The scent is amazing and not overpowering. Very simple and clean. I have heard many complain about the lather or it being "meh"...in my hands, the lather from this soap is absolutely fantastic, but only if you spend an extra 30-45 seconds really whipping this baby up. Once the effort is put in, you will be treated the the treasure pot at the end of the rainbow. I also found the lather to be moisturizing and drying after the shave. That characteristic is depend largely on one's skin type and as such, it will not be surprising to get lots of varying opinions on this.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
There seems to be alot of complaints about the price of Cade. I feel the price of the refill is great considering it's size and hardness. The bowl is a take it or leave it thing. If you don't want to spend the money, put the soap in whatever. If you do buy the bowl, it will last forever and you can put it in your will for your grandchildren. I feel the bowl is kind of neat. Plus I can buy this product locally, no shipping.

For a non-tallow soap, it works up a good lather with my boars. I tend to really load up on whatever product I use and have very little trouble generating a lather with most soaps. Tallows are my favorite so any non-tallow soap will always be a little lower on the scale.

I like the scent. It is subtle and not overpowering.

It is a disapointment for me that L'Occitane does not have shea in this soap. They use it in almost all the rest of their offerings which are all first class.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
As part of the Cade Challenge, I have been using this soap daily since the beginning of November, 2010. Of all of the soaps I've used, this is very much a mid-pack performer.

Price: Based on the price of the refill puck, it's a great value at $10.

Quality: The ingredients are very good and it has a great scent, but that is counterbalanced by its latherability and overall performance.

Scent: Awesome. It has a great dry herbal scent with strong juniper notes. It is as unique as any scent out there, and one I love.

Lather: I have found this to be one finicky soap to lather. Too much water up front, and its a frothy mess. Too little product loaded and you have a thin, yet slick lather. It took me quite awhile to get down the technique of heavily loading a pretty dry brush, and slowly adding water to build the lather.

Efficacy: This can be a very good lather when you get it right, but in my hands it's touchy to make, and a bit too little or too much water can tip the quality of the lather in the wrong direction.

Moisturizing: My skin is left feeling a little parched. It's a good fall soap for me, but not ideal for winter. It does not hold a candle to the moisturizing ability of its French compatriots Institut Karite and Provence Sante soaps.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I'm really loving Cade. I have hard water and have trouble with many soaps, but not this one.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
By far the best that I have tried and I count about 10.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)